Characters who could be more

It's not really about liking him. I want to know why he thinks he could (and should) be more. I have my own reasons as to why Tatanga should be (he's an alien, so he can obviously bring new species into play) even though I don't really care about him, but I'd like to know why Gillbergfan thinks so.

Leonyx said:
Baby Luigi said:
The Super Mario Bros. 2 bosses had more potential than the Koopalings will ever have

I have to disagree. Nintendo isn't really willing to use them for more than just bosses though. I guess I can't blame them; to come up with 7 distinct characters with truly unique characteristics that will have to come back often because of their relation to the main villain is not an easy task. At least they have evolved from just being generic bosses though as they have their own personalities (kinda). I don't really think the Super Mario Bros. 2 bosses do.

Truly unique characteristics for the Koopalings? Ha. Nintendo never lets the bosses I mention shine in more games, that's why they haven't evolved. If the Koopalings star only in one game (Super Mario Bros. 3), then they won't have much uniqueness. Besides, their design is crap. Compared to the bosses in Super Mario Bros. 2.

Herr Shyguy said:
Baby Luigi said:
If the Koopalings star only in one game (Super Mario Bros. 3), then they won't have much uniqueness.
SMW? NSMBWii?

He said "if". That signifies that he is speculating as though they did not appear in SMW or NSMBW.

The Koopalings need to be in more games. 4 is not enough in my mind. They should be future bosses instead of Bowser because Bowser is getting a bit boring to fight and their brother got to be the main boss on NSMB and he got his own towers. The Koopalings are underated. :'(

Baby Luigi said:
Leonyx said:
Baby Luigi said:
The Super Mario Bros. 2 bosses had more potential than the Koopalings will ever have

I have to disagree. Nintendo isn't really willing to use them for more than just bosses though. I guess I can't blame them; to come up with 7 distinct characters with truly unique characteristics that will have to come back often because of their relation to the main villain is not an easy task. At least they have evolved from just being generic bosses though as they have their own personalities (kinda). I don't really think the Super Mario Bros. 2 bosses do.

Truly unique characteristics for the Koopalings? Ha. Nintendo never lets the bosses I mention shine in more games, that's why they haven't evolved. If the Koopalings star only in one game (Super Mario Bros. 3), then they won't have much uniqueness. Besides, their design is crap. Compared to the bosses in Super Mario Bros. 2.

The fact that they have been in more games than one is proof that Nintendo is willing to use them as at least bosses. The fact that they were featured in Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga is evidence that other developers are willing to use them. The fact that Miyamoto spent more time developing Doki Doki Panic (which includes the characters) than the actual sequel to Super Mario Bros., and yet none of the bosses have returned (other than Birdo) shows that Nintendo and Miyamoto don't care for them much. The fact that New Super Mario Bros. Wii not only has the Koopalings in the game as bosses (after everyone assumed Bowser Jr. replaced them), but has new updated designs for some of them and each of them have unique boss fights (a change from their first appearance) means that Nintendo (and Miyamoto, as I believe he led the team for that game) is willing to work with them and give them more attention.

Nintendo and Miyamoto prefer the Koopalings over Super Mario Bros. 2 bosses. They took the time to develop each one, and even gave them reasonings behind their names and designs. The characters in Super Mario Bros. 2, despite the game being based off of a television show, did not have any bases for their design. Frankly, the bosses in Super Mario Bros. 2 are not any more creative than the Koopalings first appearance.

I think Nintendo is trying to avoid anything to do with Super Mario Bros 2, it's one of their worst games ever. Similar to how Microsoft is trying to avoid Vista, it was awful.

Well, why do they keep Shy Guys and Birdos around?

Shy Guys were pretty major in Yoshi's Island, so they stay.

Birdo...I honestly have no clue why this ugly pink thing is still around.

I think they should have another storyline between Birdo and Popple like in MLSS. But poor Popple probably won't be in anymore games. :(

I think Nintendo is trying to avoid anything to do with Super Mario Bros 2, it's one of their worst games ever. Similar to how Microsoft is trying to avoid Vista, it was awful.

Super Mario Bros. 2 was a great game, compared to some abominations some other companies that work for Nintendo came with (I'm looking at you, Hotel Mario). It left a very deep influence in the Mario series.

Dr. Javelin said:

Shy Guys originated in Doki Doki Panic before Yoshi's Island is even considered. Plus, you forgot Bob-ombs as well.

The fact that New Super Mario Bros. Wii not only has the Koopalings in the game as bosses (after everyone assumed Bowser Jr. replaced them), but has new updated designs for some of them and each of them have unique boss fights (a change from their first appearance) means that Nintendo (and Miyamoto, as I believe he led the team for that game) is willing to work with them and give them more attention.

They don't really have unique boss fights. They still toss their magic at you, take three hits to kill, and retract in their shells to hit you. Except for Iggy second boss fight, but Iggy is the exception, not the rule.

Nintendo and Miyamoto prefer the Koopalings over Super Mario Bros. 2 bosses.

I don't. Their boss fights are boring and lame.

They took the time to develop each one, and even gave them reasonings behind their names and designs.

I do not know how long it took to develop them. But it appears they just took random stars and put them on Koopas.

The characters in Super Mario Bros. 2, despite the game being based off of a television show, did not have any bases for their design.

Doki Doki Panic came before the show if I'm not mistaken

Frankly, the bosses in Super Mario Bros. 2 are not any more creative than the Koopalings first appearance.

Ha ha ha, seriously? The Koopalings look exactly alike each other. They are based off Bowser, even look almost like him. Creating a three headed serpent or a mouse that throws bombs takes more thought than having a minion that looks like Bowser, and has nearly the same attack patterns as each other too.

I can tell you this much. If the Koopalings do make a return, they should each receive unique attacks. New Super Mario Bros. Wii did that to some extent, but what if they've graduated to using robot mechs?!

I agree with that. Koopalings in mechs would be more entertaining

MnSG said:
I can tell you this much. If the Koopalings do make a return, they should each receive unique attacks. New Super Mario Bros. Wii did that to some extent, but what if they've graduated to using robot mechs?!

Snesyoshissafari.png

Maybe not only Yoshi's Safari, but the platforming games as well

Baby Luigi said:

Super Mario Bros. 2 was a great game, compared to some abominations some other companies that work for Nintendo came with (I'm looking at you, Hotel Mario). It left a very deep influence in the Mario series.

Dr. Javelin said:

Shy Guys originated in Doki Doki Panic before Yoshi's Island is even considered. Plus, you forgot Bob-ombs as well.

The fact that New Super Mario Bros. Wii not only has the Koopalings in the game as bosses (after everyone assumed Bowser Jr. replaced them), but has new updated designs for some of them and each of them have unique boss fights (a change from their first appearance) means that Nintendo (and Miyamoto, as I believe he led the team for that game) is willing to work with them and give them more attention.

They don't really have unique boss fights. They still toss their magic at you, take three hits to kill, and retract in their shells to hit you. Except for Iggy second boss fight, but Iggy is the exception, not the rule.

Nintendo and Miyamoto prefer the Koopalings over Super Mario Bros. 2 bosses.

I don't. Their boss fights are boring and lame.

They took the time to develop each one, and even gave them reasonings behind their names and designs.

I do not know how long it took to develop them. But it appears they just took random stars and put them on Koopas.

The characters in Super Mario Bros. 2, despite the game being based off of a television show, did not have any bases for their design.

Doki Doki Panic came before the show if I'm not mistaken

Frankly, the bosses in Super Mario Bros. 2 are not any more creative than the Koopalings first appearance.

Ha ha ha, seriously? The Koopalings look exactly alike each other. They are based off Bowser, even look almost like him. Creating a three headed serpent or a mouse that throws bombs takes more thought than having a minion that looks like Bowser, and has nearly the same attack patterns as each other too.

Three headed snakes and bomb throwing mice aren't any more creative than musician based Koopas. It's fine if you think that the Koopalings aren't creative, but don't throw that out as a fact. Just because they "still toss magic at you" doesn't mean the bosses were not still unique. Their castle boss fights were all different from each other. The Koopalings aren't completely based on Bowser either, and really don't look as similar as you keep making it seem.

(Also, the show came before the game.)

The Koopalings at least made sense in context; Bowser's children leading an army of Koopas. Super Mario 2 bosses made no sense--spend 3 levels fighting Shy Guys, Snifits, and Tweeters, and then fight a giant bomb-throwing rat as the boss. The only boss which made sense in context was Tryclyde (assuming he was a mutant version of those damn snakes)

As for Koopalings in mechs, my idea for New Super Mario World has a factory as World 7, with the boss as Iggy piloting a sort-of chopper.

Ok, I don't feel like arguing anymore. It's not getting me anywhere.

Baby Luigi said:
Ok, I don't feel like arguing anymore. It's not getting me anywhere.
You made a good point about how the Koopalings are much more generic than the SMB2 bosses. The gameplay in that game was much worse than Super Mario Bros 3, even if the characters were much better.

We should probably get back on topic.

I kind of made this point on the other topic about who would you like to become a main character. I will repeat my message there by copying and pasting it:
WakerLuma said:
I think both Daisy and Waluigi should make more appearances. Daisy could be a damsel in distress, but she seems a lot more spunky and self-dependent, so maybe they should make a new Super princess peach game with daisy in a position of Luigi. I'd love to see Perry get a happy ending too. The babies could definitely have their own spin-off game some time. Bowser Jr. is a bit of a main character already. I can see a kind of Wario and Waluigi game where they end up shoplifting and become outlaws in this big city and you could choose to play as either and they have failed adventures. ;) Yoshi needs more games though. And we need more :mario: RPG's
Yes. I think Daisy should be in the classic Luigi position in a new princess peach game. I think I would like to see Perry get a happy ending. And I have already a box blurb for the Wario and Waluigi game:
In Emerald City,I wanted to use Diamond City but that's already there)the police are tough as bricks. That's what Wario and his 'loyal' sidekick Waluigi learn that when a shoplifting accident makes them outlaws. Choose one of the Wario Bros. and get into the action-from car chases to sneaking through a guarded room,make Wario and Waluigi the new, bad mobster bosses of Emerald City. Quote from Wario:Watch out, Emerald City watch out:I'm a coming! Waluigi:Me a too!
I had been planning that game in my head. :)

I like Lubba. He should appear in more games.

Back