Characters who could be more

I agree that the princess-kidnappint has gotten boring (Peach could be a playable character, like in SMB2). Have you noticed, though, that those three games that you mentioned did not fare well sales-wise or review-wise compared to games featuring Bowser. He's always going to be a selling point, you might as well feature him as a villain (even if he's not the main one). I do want more varied plotlines, though. You could have Bowser trying to detonate a Giant Bob-omb over Peach's castle, and Mario has to get there in time, or something like in Paper Mario 1, where he steals something to make himself more powerful.

But what about RPGs like The Thousand Year Door? That sold well, and it didn't have Bowser as the main villain. Recently, Bowser Jr. has been the main villain in some games too, like New Super Mario Bros.

Pandapowah said:
Ganondorf said:
I don't think that Luigi and Waluigi should be in the same game. It was better with Mario and Wario.
Why not? Waluigi is meant to be Luigi's rival. ???
No, that's Bowser still. Waluigi is just an enemy to Luigi. It's like saying Mario is Wario's rival. Wario's just an added an enemy.

About Bowser Jr., I don't like him being the final boss of games. In fact, they need to introduce another game without Bowser as the final boss again, and Bowser Jr. out of it.

Baby Luigi said:
I don't think they even confirmed that Rosalina was a princess, let alone a queen

Yeah that's basically speculation right now. However, there are various theories, in terms of how Rosalina got her crown. For one theory, she may have been the princess of a kingdom that once existed before the Mario Bros., Princess Peach, and even Bowser were born. The kingdom probably existed on the Mushroom Planet, which explains why Rosalina comes to that planet once per century. The final theory would be that Rosalina's parents were the king and queen of that kingdom.

Leonyx said:
But what about RPGs like The Thousand Year Door? That sold well, and it didn't have Bowser as the main villain. Recently, Bowser Jr. has been the main villain in some games too, like New Super Mario Bros.

Well, even though he wasn't the main villain, he was still there and fought Mario.

Toad85 said:
Have you noticed, though, that those three games that you mentioned did not fare well sales-wise or review-wise compared to games featuring Bowser.
I'm not entirely sure about Super Mario Brothers 2's sales, but I do know for a fact that the Super Mario Land games were largely successful during the days of the original Game Boy. I remember reading somewhere that the first game sold millions of copies.

Nack the Weasel said:
Toad85 said:
Have you noticed, though, that those three games that you mentioned did not fare well sales-wise or review-wise compared to games featuring Bowser.
I'm not entirely sure about Super Mario Brothers 2's sales, but I do know for a fact that the Super Mario Land games were largely successful during the days of the original Game Boy. I remember reading somewhere that the first game sold millions of copies.
Super Mario Land did have Daisy who came back 5 years later. But she has not been in any other main game.

It doesn't matter about Super Mario Bros. 2 sales. Super Mario Bros. 2 made a deep influence on the Mario series anyway.

Even so, there are quite a few characters in that game that have yet to make a comeback. Wart, Mouser, Tryclyde, Fryguy, Clawgrip, etc. All of those characters have loads of potential.

Nack the Weasel said:
Even so, there are quite a few characters in that game that have yet to make a comeback. Wart, Mouser, Tryclyde, Fryguy, Clawgrip, etc. All of those characters have loads of potential.
That's true, but Nintendo probably forgot about them anyway.

I doubt that. It seems to me as if they just don't have any intention on ever bringing them back.

Nack the Weasel said:

Are any of those characters also featured in Doki Doki Panic? That might be why Nintendo won't let them star in another game.

@ Nack the Weasel: Wart definitely was (albeit under a different name), and I think the others were too.

@ Baby Luigi: It does matter about sales, because Nintendo doesn't want a game to flop. They'll try to follow trends and think of what people want.

@ MnSG: I think we debunked the previously-royalty theory with the Library dome, and the first just sounds ludicrous. I do agree that she's from the Mushroom Planet, though, possibly the Mushroom Kingdom.

Toad85 said:
@ Nack the Weasel: Wart definitely was (albeit under a different name), and I think the others were too.
That was a Zelda game. What I was saying is that he has yet to appear in another Mario series installment.

Leonyx said:
Are any of those characters also featured in Doki Doki Panic? That might be why Nintendo won't let them star in another game.
True, but that certainly hasn't stopped Birdo(s), Shyguys, Snifits, Ninjis, and Beezos/Shy Aways from being used again, has it?

Nack the Weasel said:
Toad85 said:
That was a Zelda game. What I was saying is that he has yet to appear in another Mario series installment.

Oops. Sorry, I meant Leonyx. He had mentioned if Wart had appeared in Doki Doki.

Toad85 said:
Nack the Weasel said:
Toad85 said:

Oops. Sorry, I meant Leonyx. He had mentioned if Wart had appeared in Doki Doki.
Wart did appear in Doki Doki, the only difference between DDP and SMB2 is that that the playable characters is different.

King Bill said:
Wart did appear in Doki Doki, the only difference between DDP and SMB2 is that that the playable characters is different.

That's not the only difference. World 5-3's boss is an Albino Mouser in Doki Doki Panic. However, it was replaced by Clawgrip for Super Mario Bros. 2.

The Super Mario Bros. 2 bosses had more potential than the Koopalings will ever have

Baby Luigi said:
The Super Mario Bros. 2 bosses had more potential than the Koopalings will ever have

I have to disagree. Nintendo isn't really willing to use them for more than just bosses though. I guess I can't blame them; to come up with 7 distinct characters with truly unique characteristics that will have to come back often because of their relation to the main villain is not an easy task. At least they have evolved from just being generic bosses though as they have their own personalities (kinda). I don't really think the Super Mario Bros. 2 bosses do.

Tatanga could be a major character in Spin offs as could Raphael the Raven and Foreman Spike

Gillbergfan said:
Tatanga could be a major character in Spin offs as could Raphael the Raven and Foreman Spike

Why do you feel this way?

Back