Suggestions for Improvement

Status
Not open for further replies.
The short answer is no.

The long answer is, well, you can, but it would involve changing the SMF source code, which would be a whole lot of work. I looked for a mod to do it but couldn't find one. Apparently the avatar code is really old and messy as well so nobody wants to touch it.

Having said that, I think Lakitu is a little mistaken because you should be able to get the dimensions of an image without too much trouble using PHP or JavaScript scripting (plenty of examples on Google).

As for other software, I know that both PhpBB and MyBB support it, but to convert the forum in its current state *just* to support nonsquare avatars is pretty extreme.

Zetaboards supports it too (and actually has a great resize system) but you can't convert the forum to it, unfortunately, nor can you view the code for it.

Excuse me to be out of the discussion, but I have a suggestion for the Wiki...

I think we should include the game New Super Mario Bros. U + New Super Luigi U that came with the Mario & Luigi Wii U bundle deluxe set on the List of Mario games: http://www.mariowiki.com/List_of_games

519835NSMBUNSLU.png

Even if this is (will be) a rare game, it is comparable to the game Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World
and this version of Mario All-Stars is on the List of Mario games on the Wiki.

245808SMASSMW.png

I suggest this because it is not 100% the same game as New Super Mario Bros. U with the New Super Luigi U DLC because the game has his own disc game, his own boxart, his own instruction books and his own title screen.

What do you think guys?

Interesting proposition. Using the article Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World as a precedent was a good example. On that page, there's decent differentiated content in the opening paragraph which could be used as an example to follow for New Super Mario Bros. U + New Super Luigi U. Though on the aforementioned page, we dedicate an entire section to explaining the differences of the port from the original Super Mario World. I'd assume that since New Super Mario Bros. U + New Super Luigi U is on the same platform, and no changes have been advertised, that a section like that wouldn't be needed.

I'm all for it. If we get enough positive input, I'm happy to create the page, or assist you in creating the page.

I'm not even sure I agree with Allstars + World having a separate page, but at least the World release on it has actual differences from the previous release (even if they're very minor). From what I can tell, the U + Super Luigi U disc is just the game and the DLC on the same disc. It could be adequatly covered in the opening paragraph or a "Rerelease" section.

Since english is not my first language (I speak french), it is hard for me to create an entire article with sentences and good grammar. To create the New Super Mario Bros. U + New Super Luigi U article, I think we can really inspire ourself from the Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World article like you said! :)

Here's some facts on the game to start :

-It includes the same game as New Super Mario Bros. U with the addition of New Super Luigi U.
-It is only included with the Mario & Luigi Deluxe Set.
-It is the first compilation of Mario games on Wii U.
-It includes Bonus videos (like it is written on the boxart). I'm not sure about what they're all about yet...
-It has a new game disc.
-It has a unique boxart.
-It was released November 1st in North America and Europe (Along with the Wii U console Mario & Luigi Deluxe Set).

Here's a good resolution of the NTSC boxart (The first picture on my previous post was from me):

955475NSMBUNSLUboxart.png

I don't know how to start the article. Can someone help me please :) ? I'll be happy to add informations.

Thank you for your support on contributing to the expansion of the wiki!

Maybe you're right! I tried to make a proposal on the Wiki, but I couldn't find how to send my proposition of article. And I tought that ''Suggestion for improvement'' was the closest topic I could have found.

Any idea where I could talk about this idea?

On the talk page of the article. Maybe in New Super Mario Bros. U talk page?

I was looking for the NSMBU talk page, but I was not even able to make a post! :(

Here's a first try on making a new article on the wiki:

http://www.mariowiki.com/New_Super_Mario_Bros._U_%2B_New_Super_Luigi_U

I was not able to add pictures like other articles and I'm not sure if my sentences are all right!

Can someone help me?

You could incorporate it into the New Super Mario Bros. U article. I don't think we need a new article for the bundle.

Someone deleted the article :'(

This derserves as much as SMAS+SMW a new article because this is not only a re-relase.

If you look at the back of the cover:

http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/301523NSMBUNSLUback.png

You can see that there is 200+ videos added to the game. It is two games in one disc. It has a new boxart and a new game disc. And it has a different title screen.

Bring it up with L151, she deleted the article, although other admins can restore it

I restore the page, but I guess it should decided wether to be added to a section to game's article or have its own page.

That would violate rule 15:

There should not be proposals about creating articles on an underrepresented or completely absent subject, unless there is major disagreement about whether the content should be included. To organize efforts about completing articles on missing subjects, try setting up a collaboration thread on the forums.

Unless of course there is "major disagreement about whether the content should be included," which I'm not sure there is (though I'm only aware of a handful of viewpoints).

Cool! That's exactly how I imaginated it! But I was not able to add pictures and a description card on the right! So that's it! New Super Mario Bros. U + New Super Luigi U is now officially part of the wiki!

There's a section about rotating avatars, and how to add them, but there isn't anything saying what they are.

But I'm pretty certain that anyone who's interested in adding them will already know what they are before hand, and if they aren't interested in adding them, chances are they won't know or care what they are.

Then again, I guess someone would be curious enough to wonder what they are after over hearing other users talking about it, so it's not a bad idea. Either way, it's not that big of a deal, so we might as well add it anyway.

I think this should be a smiley if it isn't already.>
mariofacepalmplz.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back