Suggestions for Improvement

Status
Not open for further replies.
porplemontage said:
ジュゲムザクイック said:
There is a bug in the mobile version in Who's Online. In the dropdown to select the group to be viewed (all, members, guests), the onchange value refers to smf_scripturl, while that variable isn't set anywhere.
Fixed
I see, thanks.

A small request, can a mod remove UM's name from the ban log (it's been over three months since he was banned)

I've been thinking, how long should we consider things spoilers? For example, in the Last Airbender thread, we keep things about Season 2 of Korra in spoiler tags. How long before we can talk about the episodes without having to use spoiler tags?

I don't think this matters, you should view spoilers at your own discretion

Spoilers should be there forever, people could be watching though the series and they're not wanting to be spoiled anytime.

it would be kind of nice if we had a rule of thumb. spoilers become meaningless after a while.

for example, at this point i think i can get away with saying "snape kills dumbledore" outside a spoiler tag

Puddin said:
it would be kind of nice if we had a rule of thumb. spoilers become meaningless after a while.

for example, at this point i think i can get away with saying "snape kills dumbledore" outside a spoiler tag

I find this very true because spoilers are also pointless

Well yeah but you still have the choice to click on it or not. It's still there...

Per rule 8, shouldn't racial slurs (such as the n-word) be banned as well?

Graphcalibur said:
well maybe not if youre using it in a friendly way like black people do
NO

NSY said:
Spoilers should be there forever, people could be watching though the series and they're not wanting to be spoiled anytime.

I basically agree with this. I've always thought the notion that spoilers have an expiry date was ridiculous. There may be a couple things that are really so integrated in popular culture that pretty much everyone knows them, but those are exceptions. The line can be drawn pretty much anywhere too, so I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Basically, I will put everything I deem a spoiler or deem to have been a spoiler at some point in a tag, because there's always the odd fellow that will not have seen a movie/played a game/did a whatever yet. And when I watch or play or whatever something, it doesn't matter if it's some shitty movie from thirty years ago or whatever, if you spoil the ending for me, I'm going to be pissed. And I will completely ignore any attempts to justify it with "lol that thing has been out for [arbitrary amount of time] and stay pissed at you.

Common courtesy should not become time-barred.

Graphcalibur said:
well maybe not if youre using it in a friendly way like black people do

The problem with that is that you cannot tell a person's ethnicity over the internet, so you cannot determine who is "allowed" to use them and who is just trying to get away with using them.

For example, I could drop some anti-asian slurs right now and then claim I am half chinese. You can't prove that I'm not.

Drift said:
Per rule 8, shouldn't racial slurs (such as the n-word) be banned as well?

It is already banned. If you see it, report it.

Then why was this topic allowed? I mean, even a mod posted without locking.

And I'm pretty sure this rule also applied two years ago, when the topic was first made.

Michael Myers said:
I've been thinking, how long should we consider things spoilers? For example, in the Last Airbender thread, we keep things about Season 2 of Korra in spoiler tags. How long before we can talk about the episodes without having to use spoiler tags?
don't know about TV shows on this one, but for movies, I think the perfect time to talk about spoilers without having spoiler tags is about three to four weeks after it has been released on DVD

if you noticed, I had the character of Khan dubbed as John Harrison when I was talking about Star Trek into darkness, because it was a bit of a spoiler that he was actually khan.

now it's been over three weeks, and my avatar of him is actually dubbed Khan.

YOU BASTARD If I had any immediate plans to see/obtain that movie, I'd be pissed.

but it's been out for about two months now

anybody who really wanted to see that movie would have bought it by now and watched it

Drift said:

And I'm pretty sure this rule also applied two years ago, when the topic was first made.

It shouldn't be allowed. Period. That topic should have been locked the moment it saw the light of the day.

Baby Luigi said:
Drift said:

It shouldn't be allowed. Period. That topic should have been locked the moment it saw the light of the day.

Exactly, I wonder if there will be a rule of "No excessive swearing" next.

I'm sure a handful of users would still take offense to the word "nigga", no matter how we may have generalized the term in today's society. Even though it may be intended by most to be as a semi-derogatory collective term for people, there are others who'd interpret it as serious racism. Personally I find it quite foul how the word is used today.

If my opinion mattered, I'd voice my agreement in having that topic locked and the work censored.

Radagast the Brown said:
anybody who really wanted to see that movie would have bought it by now and watched it

I must say I envy your financial situation. I wish I had the luxury of randomly impulse-buying things for my entertainment as soon as I develop a passing interest in them. As of now, I can't even purchase things in the two digit price range without copious amounts of planning ahead, crunching numbers, and eating dry bread and noodles for a week. On occasion it has taken me several months to acquire one single video game I wanted to play. The most extreme case was several years.

Now excuse me while I get back to my dry bread and noodles. I'm saving money for a 2DS.

Radagast the Brown said:
but it's been out for about two months now

This is the most idiotic assumption and really you just look like a dick.

Just because its been two months doesn't mean people still don't want to watch it. Some people like to wait.

Radagast the Brown said:
don't know about TV shows on this one, but for movies, I think the perfect time to talk about spoilers without having spoiler tags is about three to four weeks after it has been released on DVD

if you noticed, I had the character of Khan dubbed as John Harrison when I was talking about Star Trek into darkness, because it was a bit of a spoiler that he was actually khan.

now it's been over three weeks, and my avatar of him is actually dubbed Khan.

what would you say if i told you that i've been planning on watching that movie with my friends and that you have now completely ruined the experience i was going to have and i am now incredibly angry at you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back