Suggestions for Improvement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Daskarzine said:
I'm sure a handful of users would still take offense to the word [removed], no matter how we may have generalized the term in today's society. Even though it may be intended by most to be as a semi-derogatory collective term for people, there are others who'd interpret it as serious racism. Personally I find it quite foul how the word is used today.

If my opinion mattered, I'd voice my agreement in having that topic locked and the work censored.
Please don't actually say it

Why not? He's not using it in an offensive context, he's not slurring anything, he's merely describing how awful it is.

Drift said:
Daskarzine said:
I'm sure a handful of users would still take offense to the word [removed], no matter how we may have generalized the term in today's society. Even though it may be intended by most to be as a semi-derogatory collective term for people, there are others who'd interpret it as serious racism. Personally I find it quite foul how the word is used today.

If my opinion mattered, I'd voice my agreement in having that topic locked and the work censored.
Please don't actually say it
...What?

This is why I despise the level of quality, mature and valued discussion which takes place here, which isn't what this thread is meant to be about.

yeah that's like saying that you can't say swear words when you're infact, against them.

I still don't get why YoshiKong can't say that word if he's trying to describe how bad it is. Look, the freaking dictionary has it, WE in the MarioWiki don't censor swear words if they are used in quotes, and any other formal works about the history of the bad words WILL use it. It's just the context of it being used, and YoshiKong clearly wasn't making any bad implications.

Seriously, some of you guys need to grow a back-bone and not freak out if a bad word is used in formal occasions such as describing how bad it is or its origins.

Radagast the Brown said:
but it's been out for about two months now

anybody who really wanted to see that movie would have bought it by now and watched it

that's a terrible excuse

Radagast the Brown said:
but it's been out for about two months now

anybody who really wanted to see that movie would have bought it by now and watched it
weren't you the one saying how you'd see pacific rim "when you get around to it" or something

and how you rarely see movies yourself

Can you guys please stop having cross-conversations when other people are trying to discuss something more important? Thanks.

Anyways, I admit I overreacted to one use of the word, but still, a slur is a slur, and since there are people of all races, ethnicities, nationalities here, that can't be allowed.

But my point is that the disallowal of these words needs to be more enforced. I mean, a mod totally skimmed right over that thread.

Drift said:
Can you guys please stop having cross-conversations when other people are trying to discuss something more important? Thanks.
Um, we're allowed to have "cross conversations" as long as what we're talking about is on topic, and discussing whether or not a rule for spoilers should be added is on topic.

It's a slur only when it's used in context of a slur. If we're discussing on if we should allow to use it or not, then we should definitely use it to be specific. However, this stuff shouldn't be allowed on day one and I agree on much rougher enforcement

Nightmare Moon said:
Drift said:
Um, we're allowed to have "cross conversations" as long as what we're talking about is on topic, and discussing whether or not a rule for spoilers should be added is on topic.

The point is already made, it's time to move on

It's only time to move on when people are done discussing it.

and per BLOF on the slur subject

Nightmare Moon said:
It's only time to move on when people are done discussing it.

And I say this: you've guys made your point on why Neptune was wrong, it was clear. So we don't need any more, unless Neptune wants to counter all of your statements.

Drift said:

You don't get to decide which posts I reply to.

I also don't see how your train of thought is more important than anything else, considering, as BLOF stated before, the topic of racial slurs is already covered by rule 8. So really, your oh so important debate is a proposal to add a rule that already exists, ergo it is pointless.

But I wasn't going to throw that in your face because it would have been kind of presumptuous.

Bottom line: Neptune is wrong, and the spoiler rule shouldn't be changed. Again, spoilers are meant to be viewed at your own discretion-even if the material should be well-known to the general public, there'll always be some odd person who doesn't know it (most likely me, I don't watch much movies so I don't know the plot to quite a few popular movies) and there will always be someone new to a series. And even if literally everyone knew it, there's no harm in keeping the spoiler tag regardless: the info is still there and if you already know the series or if you're ok with getting spoiled, then you should click on it.

To my conclusion, this is the user's choice to view spoilers, ultimately not some system deciding it. It's not hard tagging obvious spoilers with the tags too. Take the few extra seconds to tag them if they clearly are spoilers.

Radagast the Brown said:
Pearl said:
Radagast the Brown said:
don't know about TV shows on this one, but for movies, I think the perfect time to talk about spoilers without having spoiler tags is about three to four weeks after it has been released on DVD

if you noticed, I had the character of Khan dubbed as John Harrison when I was talking about Star Trek into darkness, because it was a bit of a spoiler that he was actually khan.

now it's been over three weeks, and my avatar of him is actually dubbed Khan.

what would you say if i told you that i've been planning on watching that movie with my friends and that you have now completely ruined the experience i was going to have and i am now incredibly angry at you?
you didn't seem to be so @#!*% off when I first changed his name to Khan in my avatar about a month ago, why should I believe you now

that's because the text is so small i didn't even know what it was in the first place

also fyi i wasn't actually planning to watch it, i was just saying that to illustrate a point

Radagast the Brown said:
wow, did I really deserve that? People telling long boring stories, calling me a dick? calm down, it was a suggestion, jeez

I explained myself calmly and without getting personal. I merely expressed envy at being able to purchase movies and games nilly-willy, which given my situation I thought would be kind of understandable. Whatever aggressive subtext you are reading into what I wrote, it is not there, so your pissed off reaction is quite puzzling.

Radagast the Brown said:
yet you have enough money to come onto the forums almost every single day

Yes. I have decided for myself that internet is that one luxury that I do not want to miss. That is a heinous crime and I am a terrible person. Why aren't I dead?

Also let me explain something real quick because apparently there is necessity. I pay about 20€ a month for my internet connection. Once I have paid that fee, I have access to the internet period. Whether I visit this forum one day, two, or thirty, it doesn't matter. It always costs the same thing. Your argument makes no sense whatsoever.

And lastly, I didn't call you a dick and I never really intended to, but the way you referred to my life situation as a "long boring story" certainly gets me thinking. :P

alright, this is getting out of hand. slurs are settled, spoilers aren't getting a defined rule but use your common sense and quit the fighting

now let's move on from both of these arguments

Having URL Avatars be able to have reasonable sizes instead of always being square would be nice

Hey, I had a bit of a look around but I couldn't find an up-to-date list of the forum staff. Am I looking in the wrong place or is there just not one available? If it is the latter, could we get one?

Lakitulerapide said:
Forum software isn't able to determine the size of the original image, so it can't put it in the correct aspect ratio. Therefor it's up to the user to keep their avatars square.
Is it possible get software able to do that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back