Poll Committee Chairperson Election 2024

Nate Jacobs

WHAT THE FUCK? WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU?
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
The Shadow Prince
I suppose I'll start this thread since no one else has. So far we've got three candidates, yours truly and also MightyMario and Ninja Squid.

Polls for everyone!

Obviously, I can't run and I won't join the poll committee this year, so best luck to the future chairperson.

So, my main goal for becoming Poll Chairperson is to gain leadership skills. You may ask me any questions you may have here!

@Bean How do you plan on approaching getting a Vice Chairperson, if you intend to have one at all? If elected, would you be interested in incorporating some ideas from the other campaigns?

@Diamant @Goombuigi How would the scope and timing of the collaboration efforts you suggested be decided? You mention that Awards Analysis will be a collective decision by the committee, what exactly are you thinking might be up for discussion there? (Timing, project size/organization, deciding whether to do it at all?)

@Phantom R You mention correcting errors in the poll archives, what sorts of errors have you noticed? (I should mention that the poll archives from previous committees are usually protected so that only admins can edit them, so you would need to contact one of them to make changes.) How do you envision giving the outgoing committee input on the next batch of members?

For a vice chairperson, I would ask people who have been apart of the Committee in the past, as they have experience and know how it operates, along with providing help where it's needed if I have any questions or concerns.

Absolutely! Personally, I like the fourth goal on NS/Goom's campaign, which is creating Shroom articles based around the poll ideas; it's a unique idea to make polls fun for everyone!

@Diamant @Goombuigi How would the scope and timing of the collaboration efforts you suggested be decided? You mention that Awards Analysis will be a collective decision by the committee, what exactly are you thinking might be up for discussion there? (Timing, project size/organization, deciding whether to do it at all?)
Regarding Awards Analysis, we would firstly plan on discussing with the committee members whether to pursue it in the first place. The project would be something that would be worth doing if the committee has the drive and energy for it, which is what we would gauge first and foremost. We wouldn't want to do the Awards Analysis simply for the sake of it, and put unnecessary weight on the shoulders of the committee's members if there isn't the drive for it. If there is a positive consensus towards pursuing the Awards Analysis among the committee, then we would discuss further details, such as the timeframe, project size, organization, etc.

As for other collaborative efforts, we plan to discuss these in its own thread, with us generating ideas that we find could make for interesting collaborations with the rest of the committee; and then determining which of them, if any, would be worth developing further - in such a case, further details would be fleshed out (such as the timeframe, organizing the workload, etc.). Again, this would be gauged based on a general consensus among the committee. Any collaborative efforts that would end up happening would probably fall into the middle to end of the term, though, as they aren't something we would want to impose on committee members early into the term. One of our focuses is to be as open as possible regarding our management, as the Poll Committee will be able to operate effectively only thanks to our members.

@Phantom R You mention correcting errors in the poll archives, what sorts of errors have you noticed? (I should mention that the poll archives from previous committees are usually protected so that only admins can edit them, so you would need to contact one of them to make changes.) How do you envision giving the outgoing committee input on the next batch of members?
One error I noticed was that for one poll regarding which job of Mario's users would take 8 years ago, it says 13.8% of people would take being a boxing referee with only 70 votes, which is not in place with the poll having 2,783 votes total. Another error in a poll exactly before was forgetting to put the first parenthesis sign around an option in a poll regarding 3D Mario games. As these are only two among a list of examples, as chairperson I would look into nitty gritty like this even with how many Committees and how many of their polls have been beforehand, and correct it.

Last edited:
@Bean Considering you are the only one of the three candidates currently running who has not been on the Poll Committee, would you say you are sure you have what it takes to do elements such as manage the biweekly Crowdsignal aspects, make sure users keep their obligations for aspects such as the monthly 'Shroom discussion page, and keep things running smoothly/efficiently when there is disagreement/a lot of different opinions among users about for example which version of a poll should air on the front page, among other examples?

@MightyMario and @Diamant, a couple of my platform planks I am curious whether or not you woulld support if elected chairperson.

-Would you let the Poll Committee make a decision on whether to allow each individual user who had not previously applied during the original application period join the Poll Committee, assuming they had an appropriate record? Would this extend to previously rejected users who claimed to have improved their behavior?
-Would you allow users who had submitted an image that was previously rejected for one of their polls, to have additional attempts to come up with the appropriate image for their poll? If so how many attempts would you allow, or would there be unlimited attempts?
-Would you ever run polls every week instead of every two weeks at the end of the Committee session, assuming there were a large number of well-receieved and ready to go ideas by users?

Back