Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (Nintendo Switch)

I Only have ONE Expectation for "Paper Mario RPG DX"

Cut the ****Ing General White Wild Goose chase out of the game; That was EASILY THE WORST PART OF THE BEST PAPER MARIO GAME!!'

IT WAS A HUGE ****ING WASTE OF TIME FOR THE PLAYER!!

I Only have ONE Expectation for "Paper Mario RPG DX"

Cut the ****Ing General White Wild Goose chase out of the game; That was EASILY THE WORST PART OF THE BEST PAPER MARIO GAME!!'

IT WAS A HUGE ****ING WASTE OF TIME FOR THE PLAYER!!
Yeah, the General White quest is TTYD's biggest sour spot and I'd even say it's sourer than SPM's 2-3 and 5-1 on account of the fact that it's unskippable. I never could have done the quest on my first playthrough without my guide.

I'm not quite sure how to go about it fixing it though. Maybe they could make it possible to find General White without doing the goose chase (oh and the waking him up bit was more annoying than it should be), or they could cut it entirely and make up for it by expanding on other parts of Chapter 7

Yeah, the General White quest is TTYD's biggest sour spot and I'd even say it's sourer than SPM's 2-3 and 5-1 on account of the fact that it's unskippable. I never could have done the quest on my first playthrough without my guide.

I'm not quite sure how to go about it fixing it though. Maybe they could make it possible to find General White without doing the goose chase (oh and the waking him up bit was more annoying than it should be), or they could cut it entirely and make up for it by expanding on other parts of Chapter 7
Yeah; make it possible to find General White in the village back at the start; since he was there the whole time!

I know this is a few months late but unlike everyone else who saw the trailer, I was not screaming in happiness and excitement. I just smiled and calmly said "I thought they would never do this." Hopefully this is the start of bringing back the old Paper Mario gameplay this series desperately needs.

One thing I had been thinking would be nice is if the game would allow you to initiate multiple troubles at once rather than only being able to do them one at a time. It would certainly save a lot of going back and forth.

Release date has been confirmed as 23rd May 2024

Very fortunate timing as that's just after my last exam!

Release date has been confirmed as 23rd May 2024
I'll admit, I didn't think this game would release so soon. When it was announced in the September Nintendo Direct, it just said "2024". When only the release year is teased about a game, that usually means that it will release late in the year. When Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope was announced in June 2021 for example, it said it would release in "2022". It turned out to release in October 2022.

Anyways, the remake we've all wanted is releasing earlier than I expected! Hooray!

I'll admit, I didn't think this game would release so soon. When it was announced in the September Nintendo Direct, it just said "2024". When only the release year is teased about a game, that usually means that it will release late in the year. When Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope was announced in June 2021 for example, it said it would release in "2022". It turned out to release in October 2022.

Anyways, the remake we've all wanted is releasing earlier than I expected! Hooray!
Me too, I very much thought it would come out much later than May so I'm pleasantly surprised!

Since the first Paper Mario, there has been a new game every four years on average (three years between Thousand-Year Door and Super Paper Mario, and five years between Super Paper Mario and Sticker Star), and this is the fourth year since Origami King. I take it the Thousand-Year Door remake will be the only one to fill the four year gap this time.

Since the first Paper Mario, there has been a new game every four years on average (three years between Thousand-Year Door and Super Paper Mario, and five years between Super Paper Mario and Sticker Star), and this is the fourth year since Origami King. I take it the Thousand-Year Door remake will be the only one to fill the four year gap this time.
I mean, you also have to take into consideration that game development is taking longer and longer per game, especially on Nintendo's part. We're seeing greater and greater distances between installments in series, so it could be a good deal longer than four years till a new Paper Mario game

It might be too early for me judge this, but I'm not liking that this remake is in 30 fps. I've seen the new footage and that's how I found out. This is like the Bowser's Inside Story remake which was also 30 fps compared to the original, which was 60 fps.

I hope the game still plays smoothly though. Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr.'s Journey had everything move slower. I don't want this remake to have action command timing issues or input lag. I want this game to succeed.

It might be too early for me judge this, but I'm not liking that this remake is in 30 fps. I've seen the new footage and that's how I found out. This is like the Bowser's Inside Story remake which was also 30 fps compared to the original, which was 60 fps.

I hope the game still plays smoothly though. Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr.'s Journey had everything move slower. I don't want this remake to have action command timing issues or input lag. I want this game to succeed.
If it runs like Origami King which was also at 30 fps and played smoothly, then it shouldn't be too bad.

Isn't there a possibility that the game itself might be 60fps but the footage is 30fps?

Even if the game is 30fps though, that's okay for me

The Pianta Parlor's minigames all but ensure this game in Europe will be higher rated than the FIFA games and their literal gambling.

I think we'll get the same amount of features as RPG, being a fast travel and boss rematches. Though a Fast Forward button would be nice.

Based on the new trailer, I found some new observations:
  • When Bandy Andy and King K are revealed after destroying the block, the camera is moved overhead slightly to show the two characters.
  • In the Riverside Station "tunnels" section, there are now coins that can be obtained.
  • Mario's Spring Jump is much quicker after he grabs a pole.
  • Bowser becomes rainbow-colored instead of yellow when he is at his biggest.
  • When Goombella tattles an enemy, it shows their stats too, rather than just an image of them.
  • Switching partners can be done without pausing the game, comparable to Super Paper Mario.
  • Before battles start, enemies take a battle stance.
  • Background props now crush characters rather than just damage them.
  • When Shy Guys jump up onto the stage, the camera changes to show them pulling a rope.
  • Falling objects look to be a little slower.
  • In the entrance to the Pit of 100 Trials, there is now a Heart Block and a Save Block. This Heart Block costs 10 coins.
  • Whenever zero damage is dealt, it shows the number "0", rather than a tiny star,
  • Concept art and the soundtrack are available in the game.
  • Cortez flies to Mario before the battle starts.
  • When the Boos escaped the box, I could barely hear them laughing.

There's probably more, but these were the ones I've found.

Based on the new trailer, I found some new observations:
  • When Bandy Andy and King K are revealed after destroying the block, the camera is moved overhead slightly to show the two characters.
  • In the Riverside Station "tunnels" section, there are now coins that can be obtained.
  • Mario's Spring Jump is much quicker after he grabs a pole.
  • Bowser becomes rainbow-colored instead of yellow when he is at his biggest.
  • When Goombella tattles an enemy, it shows their stats too, rather than just an image of them.
  • Switching partners can be done without pausing the game, comparable to Super Paper Mario.
  • Before battles start, enemies take a battle stance.
  • Background props now crush characters rather than just damage them.
  • When Shy Guys jump up onto the stage, the camera changes to show them pulling a rope.
  • Falling objects look to be a little slower.
  • In the entrance to the Pit of 100 Trials, there is now a Heart Block and a Save Block. This Heart Block costs 10 coins.
  • Whenever zero damage is dealt, it shows the number "0", rather than a tiny star,
  • Concept art and the soundtrack are available in the game.
  • Cortez flies to Mario before the battle starts.
  • When the Boos escaped the box, I could barely hear them laughing.

There's probably more, but these were the ones I've found.
SPM doesn't let you switch partners without at least opening the Quick Menu which does pause the game, though interestingly I feel like I remember seeing a prototype where you could switch without opening a menu

Back