Charles Martinet will no longer be voicing Mario

Ngl I can't blame them for not revealing Mario's new VA yet just cuz you know asshole 'fans' would immediately try and start harassing them for the horrendous crime of not being Charles Martinet.
I can accept that explanation and I'm hoping it's just that but there's bad faith ones out there too that also seem plausible and I'm not liking the uncertainty between the two.

I am sort of wondering: what would have been a satisfactory approach in communicating a retiring voice actor?

Thank you for reading.
I have more of an issue of the system-wide practice of noncommunication and vague marketing language especially the video game's industry cryptic behavior with its practices, but I would like more transparency and honesty in the decision process. If independent sources can report on this story that would be ideal but it's not realistic.

It sounds rough as hell (not in the intended way). It's almost like a very old and scowly rich Victorian dame who just caught you sticking your hands in the dining room's candy dish. There's barely anything "Wario" in that voice besides the gravelly tone.

The guys who impersonated Wario in those "Wario greentext reading" and "they took my ass" meme videos did a better job. IMO it doesn't have to sound identical to Charles Martinet, but it has to sound like the character it portrays. Wario's soon-to-be voice actor tries too hard to achieve a voice that isn't within their range.

It sounds rough as hell (not in the intended way). It's almost like a very old and scowly rich Victorian dame who just caught you sticking your hands in the dining room's candy dish. There's barely anything "Wario" in that voice besides the gravelly tone.

The guys who impersonated Wario in those "Wario greentext reading" and "they took my ass" meme videos did a better job. IMO it doesn't have to sound identical to Charles Martinet, but it has to sound like the character it portrays. Wario's soon-to-be voice actor tries too hard to achieve a voice that isn't within their range.

I also prefer Living With Wario's voice too.

is there any word from Nintendo or Charles about this? I'm not inherently saying he's lying, I'm just not immediately believing the word of some guy on twitter with like 2k followers without any actual confirmation from the known parties involved. especially considering how Nintendo handled Charles' retirement in the first place, it's weird to me that this would be the confirmation.

is there any word from Nintendo or Charles about this? I'm not inherently saying he's lying, I'm just not immediately believing the word of some guy on twitter with like 2k followers without any actual confirmation from the known parties involved. especially considering how Nintendo handled Charles' retirement in the first place, it's weird to me that this would be the confirmation.

Nintendo confirmed the news in an email, saying simply, "The voice actor's name is Kevin Afghani."

considering how Nintendo handled Charles' retirement in the first place, it's weird to me that this would be the confirmation.
Actually this would fit perfectly with how they handled Charles' retirement, they don't really make any sort of announcement about it.

Weird? The overall muzzling of information until public pressure mounts 🐟stinks🐟 to high heaven and my mood hasn't necessarily been improved knowing a little better regarding their lies by omission in the contract worker/associates situation at Nintendo. If malice is an option concerning the game industry it most likely is and I highly distrust Nintendo.

I'm hoping a lot for Kevin Afghari and I'm very happy for him to land a major voice position. I really hope he does his job the best he can, give us joy and smiles for playing one of my favorite video game characters. I'll happily welcome him to the voice lineup for him. I'm really hoping he stays around and gives us good performance for many years to come. I hope I get to see him talk about his role in upcoming videos, it would be a delight to watch.

Bigots are big angry that Kevin has *gasps* pronouns! 😱 The horror. The absolute galls of this this guy to to to let people know how to refer to him 😭
_______-------____------___----___$------____----___6--
Looking at his Twitter right now, and, it's cool of Nintendo to find another smalltime VA to turn big time.
This guy voices Raditz in DBZ series.
You heard this right, Raditz is Mario's new VA.
1000009094.png

Last edited:
This guy voices Raditz in DBZ series.
You heard this right, Raditz is Mario's new VA.
View attachment 39175
No, he doesn't.

You're not the first person I've seen to say that 'Mario new VA is Raditz' but no, that's wrong.

Kevin Afghani voiced Raditz in a fan-made series called Dragon Ball R&R created by TeamFourStar, he's not the voice actor used in any of the official Dragon Ball media.

So I mean yes he 'technically' did voice Raditz, but the way people talk about it implies that he is the voice actor of the character in the English dubs of the actual franchise, which he very much isn't.

I caution that these videos will possibly go down pretty quickly. I DID rip these voices in the mean time and they DO sound definitely different from Martinet, now isolated from all the music, sounds, and videos.

Also I'm going to say the complete rip that's in the link in the description of the video has spoilers for the game's powerup content so caution (it's also stated in the video itself).

Last edited:
I caution that these videos will possibly go down pretty quickly. I DID rip these voices in the mean time and they DO sound definitely different from Martinet, now isolated from all the music, sounds, and videos.

Also I'm going to say the complete rip that's in the link in the description of the video has spoilers for the game's powerup content so caution (it's also stated in the video itself).
Haha you were right

This video contains content from Nintendo, who has blocked it on copyright grounds.

Not to be rude, but how do you get those Super Mario Party Challenge Road GIFs? (Yes, I know where that came from like a nerd.)
I can certainly see how keeping the identity of a new voice actor may be for safety reasons, long enough for it to be properly revealed. Voice actors are a very sensitive issue, it seems. Even back in September 2021 when the first thing the The Super Mario Bros. Movie was the voice cast, controversies arisen especially on Chris Pratt. I guess Chris Pratt is too big to have a reputation hit, but the new voice actor might not necessarily have that luxury.

I am sort of wondering: what would have been a satisfactory approach in communicating a retiring voice actor?

Thank you for reading.

I mean, it must be hard to voice our favorite plumbers, rivals, and Mario 64 Thwomps for many years, but at least everyone born into his generation will hear a pleasurable voice. P.S., Kevin Afganhi is our WONDER-ful new voice (get it?)

Not to be rude, but how do you get those Super Mario Party Challenge Road GIFs? (Yes, I know where that came from like a nerd.)
Basically I recorded on the Switch, and then used a GIF maker to determine where to best loop those. It's difficult to get right, so I didn't do any more. The only character that I would like to have (that didn't already have a GIF) is Daisy.

Thank you for reading.

And Yoshi. His voice actor is not credited, but it's not Kazumi Totaka anymore.

So that's five characters that have a new VA...were they going for a complete VA overhaul? And they missed the one character that desperately needs a new voice/VA. I'm talking about Peach. Never was a big fan of Sam Kelly's Peach voice (always preferred Jen Taylor) and I'm so tired of her reused MKW/MK8 voice clips in the recent Mario spinoffs.
Admittedly, Peach did get some fresh, new voice clips in Mario Wonder. Still want a new Peach voice, though.

That really sucks;

I Grew up with him voicing Mario. . .

and I'm Not a fan of how different Kevin Afghani's voice for him is; But at least his Luigi sounds like Charles' Luigi!

Back