Super Mario Bros. Wonder

Have you gotten this game yet?

• Total voters
This game is effectively Mario on some crazier acid than usual and I'm all for it honestly.

The new art style was a bit goofy at first but I'm warming up to it, and I like the new mechanics they've shown so far. Everything feels much more lively, detailed, and active compared to NSMB, if you know what I mean? Plus I noticed purple coins (presumably functionally similar to the ones from Mario Odyssey) are back, and I'm curious what they'll be used for. Maybe we're getting an actual use for coins in general for the first time ever in 2D Mario? (Beyond extra lives of course)

Also, I can't say it enough, but
'Roll, roll, roll!'

I like how the game looks.
While the NSMB games are alright, I never really had any "fun" with them. I'd play them, but rarely ever finish them.
I always would finish the other games in the franchise.

This looks to be right up my ally with how colourful and charming it looks. I can see myself finishing this from start to finish.
I have hopes for this game.

I just hope Rosalina is at least a secret unlockable. When I saw the Wonder Flower before knowing anything about it, I assumed it'd be some sort of "galaxy flower" type thing, and thought so more when I saw it in action (before all the weird trip stuff happened, anyway).

While I doubt she'd be in it, I'm allowed to have my hopes and wishes.

I'm happy Daisy and Yoshi are playable, and Peach remains playable. I never liked that we had two playable Toads alongside Mario and Luigi, so even if Rosalina doesn't make it in, I still have Peach to play as.

One rather odd thing about Elephant Mario is how unlike the other animal power-ups he's got, he turns into the specific animal with his clothes on, rather than wearing a onesie of that animal. So Cat Mario isn't Mario being morphed into a cat, or Frog Mario isn't Mario changing his appearance to be a frog. I wonder if they pondered on making Mario wear an elephant suit before deciding that they would rather him becoming an elephant instead of dressing up as one, given the characteristics it entails (e.g. the elephant's trunk)?

If that is the case, is it a new era where if animal powerups return, the characters become the animal? So maybe Mario with the Super Acorn becomes a mustachioed flying squirrel instead of dressing up as one? Or a Super Bell making Mario a real cat instead of a dressed up one? Or that Elephant Mario is practically the exception to the pattern?

Thank you for reading.
I'd be very surprised if they redesigned any of the older forms. Maybe there will be more forms like Elephant Mario in the future, but I'm kind of expecting this to be a one-off to go with the game's "wow this is weird" theming.

The animations and facial expressions will likely set this game apart from the bog standard Mario platformers (and it reminds me of how 2D Mario games rely so much on neutral expressions like they're stuck in the SNES days of sprite expressions) but I'm always wishing the visuals can push just a little harder for stylization rather than have this weird in-between look of a bootleg mobile game, and the shading should be better, not feel off. I'm still baffled why the promotional art looks like the standard Mario style, but the game itself is going another path visually.

That being said, I don't want to let these bother me very much, as games industry elsewhere is pushing for these massive, demanding games, and we really need to have quality output of shorter, simpler games with more simplistic graphics imo, so this is fine. I'm looking forward to this game. It's a step above New Super Mario Bros and they're clearly trying for a new style, which is pretty refreshing.

I'd be very surprised if they redesigned any of the older forms. Maybe there will be more forms like Elephant Mario in the future, but I'm kind of expecting this to be a one-off to go with the game's "wow this is weird" theming.
Oh yeah, something to note is that the Super Bell is inconsistent. For the playable characters, it gives them cat suits. But for Bowser... yeah, he didn't get a fancy cat suit, but he actually turns into a cat hybrid. Could that be turning point for animal power ups?

It would be funny if it's reversed: while Mario becomes an elephant, Bowser will only get an elephant suit instead of becoming another hybrid.

Thank you for reading.

Initially I was a bit uncomfortable with the artstyle, noticing some inconsistencies and things that just looked awkward to me.

mario2.png

Like this face, which looks like a simple drawn-on cartoon 2D line, whereas the other facial expressions have a more 3D mouth. It's very jarring to me.

And some expressions are odd and remind me of mobile-game screaming faces like the Clash of Clans logo. The little "Awesome", "Fantastic" and so on popups kinda underlined that mobile game feeling. Feels like a game made to stimulate your senses with flashy popups and flashing lights to develop addiction and sell predatory microtransactions to children, but presumably there is no such thing. I initially even thought it was a Super Mario Run gacha spinoff.
mario1.png

I warmed up to the game though now!

The landscapes and enemies and all look great and the expressiveness of Mario and friends are welcome changes of pace if you get over the mentioned things. The variations in enemies are interesting especially for someone who cares about little variations and lore of uninteresting side characters.

I will most likely play the game on release. :)

No, it's a Netflix show for lil' kids, has a blue cat named Oggy (not the blue cat named Oggy from Oggy and the Cockroaches), and Oggy has facial features almost identical to this guy.
mario2.png

Given the Mario Movie uses the suit design for its power ups, I think this is pretty much guaranteed. If they were to permanently alter power-ups to this style, the movies would either become inconsistent with the games (the movies market the games, so this would be unlikely), or the sequels/spin-offs to the Mario Movie would have to retcon a key aspect of the first film.

I like the art style overall, but with some caveats. I'm not sure if a 3/4 perspective feels natural in a 2.5-D art-style, but I'll probably get used to it. It's been done before in Super Mario Bros 2 and Super Mario World.

Overall, I like the added variety in animation and expression. I think a good showcase of this in the trailer is the scene where fire-peach climbs out of a pipe.

I wonder if the game is built on top of the development framework of the New Super Mario Bros games. The physics and many level assets feel familiar to me despite the shift in artstyle, but I might notice more of a difference if I actually had my hands on the game.

TBH Koopalings aren't inherently a problem since virtually all bosses in 2D Mario platformers have been mediocre at best.

I really hope they actually improve the boss battles in this game because that would be refreshing.

TBH Koopalings aren't inherently a problem since virtually all bosses in 2D Mario platformers have been mediocre at best.

I really hope they actually improve the boss battles in this game because that would be refreshing.
inb4 7 Bowser Jrs and a final Bowser fight

I wonder whether they'll go with new bosses or Koopalings with wonder effects.
Hoping it's new bosses, this game has the perfect reason as to why it's new bosses, and the Koopalings, sure they could go for another round but personally I feel like they've overstayed their introduction. Give it a break for a little.

Soon all fan designs of Fire Daisy will be obsolete.

fire_daisy_model_by_just_call_me_j_dega5ly.png

Back