What game did you last play?!?!?!?

Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions (first time)

aaahhh oh my god this remake is so amazing the graphics are so smooth and the music sounds amazing. I mean I guess like, the koopas and goombas look more generic than in the original version which kinda sucks but other than that this remake is so cool. Once I'm finished I'll definitely post a list of pros and cons of this remake compared to the original GBA version. But really, both are absolutely fantastic games.

Mario Kart 8 (Wii U) (first time)

I was debating whether to get this version or the Deluxe version of the Switch, but I decided to go with the Wii U version since it was much cheaper @Chancellor advised that the Wii U version will be fine if online play and some new tracks isn't a dealbraker to me (in fact, I don't even have an NSO subscription atm).

I know it kind of used to be a meme that I hated Mario Kart, but honestly at this point I'm kind of warming up to it, which is kind of ironic given that MKWii was actually my first Mario game about 13 years ago. I mean I still hold the opinion that I care for Mario Kart far, far, less than the main series, the RPGs, and the Party games, but I actually have fun with it.

Honestly the Super Mario Bros. movie was a big part of what pushed me to try MK8, because I knew that the kart customization and anti-gravity stuff was specifically MK8 stuff.

I definitely feel that MK8 is far superior to MKWii. The graphics are simply gorgeous, it controls much nicer, the powerups are cool, the kart customization is cool, the anti-gravity and gliding is cool, playing on the Wii U GamePad is cool.

I have yet to try the Fawful mod but I'll see if I can get it working.

I'm also considering getting more Mario Kart games now, especially Mario Kart DS.

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

I beat the Pit of 100 Trials for the first time without cheating, second successful attempt including cheating, and third overall attempt. My successful attempt with cheating, in April 2021, I posted about in this same thread

Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door

I can't believe it's been over 2 years since I've owned this game, in fact it might even be approaching 2 years since my first, and up until recently, only attempt at TTYD's pit of 100 trials. Well today i did it

My first attempt was on a real gamecube, no hacks no cheats, just vanilla game, back then i was pretty much on a time limit of 2 hours whenever i wanted to play video games and that afternoon i'd already been going for 2 hours 15 min, and i only got as far as floor 80 and most of my partners and items were down, so i gave up and took the bail pipe and saved that and never tried again for ages.

Recently, I managed to use GCMM to extract that very same save file (which by the way is also the same file i used for my first playthrough of TTYD) and load it on Dolphin. I had the idea I'd try again now, as not only am I on less strict time limits these days but also save states mean I don't have to do it all at once. So I did that and over the course of yesterday and today I worked my way through and beat it. I guess you could argue that my playthrough wasn't 100% legit, for the following reasons:

• Played on Dolphin
  • Used a save state to effectively save halfway through
  • Deliberately abused lag to rig a couple of bingo's (they were shine bingos i really needed, i couldn't resist)
  • Most objectionably of all, I made a save state after beating floor 99 and used it once.
Won't list my stats, upgrades, and badges in full detail but going into the pit I had about 50HP, 50FP and 30BP and a fairly good badge selection (I think the real ones that saved me in this run were Quick Change, Mega Rush P, Peekaboo, Charge P, Defend Plus, Flower Saver P, Power Smash). I didn't have the strange sack going in despite having reached level 80 previously (the sack is on level 50, I think I missed it last time because I took a mover, I did use some movers in this run but I think I now have all the items from the pit). I had 3 ultra shrooms, 3 Jammin' Jellies and a few other things like super shrooms, as you can tell I was much more intent on things that would preserve my party in the long term due to no save blocks or inns down there rather than just short term benefits like a boo's sheet. In the end I used none of the jellies and only one of the ultra shrooms.

First 20 floors or so were really easy
After that it built up gradually, by about floor 60-70 it was pretty tough. I think I was around halfway through or so when I realised that many of the fights could be greatly simplified by using Gale Force first thing, especially as I have Flower Saver P which makes that cheaper and Quick Change meaning I can switch Flurrie out immediately if I want.
80-90 I lost both my life shrooms on partners and bobbery and koops both died but I later revived them thanks to dried shrooms and hearts dropped on the ground.
90-99 thankfully many of these involved whatever those giant bombs (and i could usually quickly dispatch of the rest with Gale Force) are called that basically give you loads of free moves where you can appeal and use Sweet Treat and/or Sweet Feast to heal your party, then all you have to do is use Veil to avoid getting blown up, thankfully I managed to correctly do the Veil every time. However 95 and 99 involved those Wizzerd things that have loads of defense and really advanced attacks so that sucked. Thankfully I didn't see many chain chomps in the pit since I hate those with all their really high defense.
Made a save state at floor 99, originally with the intention that I was nearly certainly going to beat the boss and I'd be able to use this save state to replay the boss whenever I wanted.

The Bonetail fight was going pretty well at first, but then Bonetail started healing a lot, and then I died due to really bad luck (was on about 45 HP then I got a poison shroom bingo (the only time i got one of those this whole run) taking me to about 22HP then bonetail did his sleep breath so i couldn't do anything and then he did two more breaths (this is especially unlucky as I'd put mario in the back so if he'd done stomps or bites i might have been safe) 3 * 8 = 24 I lose, well i guess i'd have survived if i'd superguarded the first breath but i'm far from being consistent at superguarding). I decide that even though it's kind of cheating to load the save state I really didn't feel like spending another two days on this and if I want I can always go back and do a legit run. This time I steamroll by just charging yoshi loads of times then doing a stampede (thanks quick change). Overall I'm not really sure if Bonetail is harder or easier than the Shadow Queen since the first time I lost midway through mostly due to really bad luck and the second time I sorta used a highly broken strategy

Anyway that was cool

Yh gosh, I felt old then that I'd owned TTYD for over 2 years at that point, welp, now it's been 4 and 1/2 years.

I played this run on a real GameCube and funnily enough it was yet again on that same save file, the very first save file I played TTYD on. I was much better prepared this time, I entered with 55HP, 55FP, 57BP, and all partners upgraded to Ultra Rank. I only leveled up once during the run (which was around the early 90s) since Amayzee Dayzees seem to now be the only enemy that give me EXP anymore and I happened to run into a couple of those. I also got fairly lucky with the movers, I think I skipped a total of 12 floors while still getting all treasure floors.

The run took me far less time than I thought it would, I was expecting it to take like 3 hours but it was actually only 2 hours.

My badge setup was fairly good, Quick Change as usual is a real savior and I think that Happy Heart (+P), Happy Flower, Power Plus (+P), Defend Plus (+P), Peekaboo, Flower Saver P (x2), and Lucky Start were all very useful. Power Shell and Gale Force were very useful for not wasting lots of time on the earlier and easier floors and I was actually very scared of running out of FP but I guess thanks to the FP regeneration from my badges plus the huge savings from two Flower Saver P's really payed off and I didn't even need to use any of the Jammin' Jellies that I brought. Feeling Fine (+P) I actually went out of my way to go back to the X-Naut Fortress to get them, and I only equipped them against Bonetail, but they really did help and they prevented what happened last time.

I also brought a lot of Ultra Shrooms but only ended up having to use 1 (I really forgot how much damage the enemies in the 80s do, and I skipped half the 90s with a mover.) I also managed to beat the pit without any of my partners dying (though if they had, I could have used the dropped hearts to revive them), which is pretty nice.

Tbh on this run the first 50 floors were very quick and easy, the 50s were quite easy, the 60s were a little tougher but not too bad at all, the 70s were moderately hard, the 80s were very hard and by far the closest I came to Game Overing during the whole run (as mentioned earlier this was the only time I was forced to use my items), the 90s I skipped 94-98 and the other half I did do was actually fairly easy, apart from floor 99 which had some very tough Elite Wizzerds though thankfully I had a level up from an Amayzee Dayzee just before and Shell Slam make quick work of them. I mean I guess if I'd messed up a Veil against the Bob-ulks I'd have Game Overed instantly but thankfully I didn't

The boss fight against Bonetail was surprisingly easy. I could have won much more easily by doing what I did last time (spamming Charge P with Mini-Yoshi, using Quick Change to prevent him being killed by Bonetail, then doing a Ground Pound to deal extreme damage), but I decided not to do that to have a fairer fight. Oddly enough, I didn't see Bonetail healing at all which I'm pretty sure he's supposed to do once his HP gets low enough. His attacks were quite tough, but putting Mario in the back and doing regular Sweet Treats helps, I didn't need to use any of my Ultra Shrooms. Power Lift with Goombella was very handy in this fight. I'm still undecided whether Bonetail is easier or harder than the Shadow Queen, cause like if I fought the Shadow Queen with the stats and badges that I had here, she'd have been not too hard either.

Honestly I really don't feel satisfied with my prize since I just beat the hardest combat challenge in the game, and the prize is something that sometimes makes combat easier but even then I'd not say it's one of the best badges in the game (especially given that it's pretty expensive BP-wise). Kinda like how the 4 heroes Catch Cards in SPM is a weak reward for beating the Flopside pit, you just beat the hardest challenge in a game that's already otherwise easy, and now your reward for doing that is something that makes it twice as easy. I mean I guess it grants you infinite 3d too, but that's a fairly lame thing to limit to such a late-game challenge.

Overall I really enjoyed doing this challenge, found it just the right level of length and difficulty this time, and it really reminds me of how fantastic TTYD's battle system is, not that I'd forgotten.

I'm actually considering completing this save file to 100% now, which would be the second Mario RPG that I 100% completed after SPM.

I played Mario Kart Super Circuit briefly, first time playing it in YEARS.

Man first attempt at 150cc Yoshi Desert kicked my ass hard, I didn't expect the race to be that difficult. Once I got used to the controls I can get first more consistently but I also remember it being one of the more difficult tracks in the game (probably THE most difficult). You actually have to let go of accelerator and stuff to actually tackle those brutal turns.

I love it.

Paper Mario (N64)

Came back to this game after I think well over a year since I last played it, very good fun, still an amazing game and I no longer hold a negative opinion of Bowser being the main villain and final boss because of how well it's adapted to the RPG setting (and it was the first Mario RPG to have him as the main villain).

I still think the soundtrack is probably the weakest in the series besides possibly Origami King (which I haven't played). Bowser's theme is amazing though.

The battle system is great in its own right but overall inferior to TTYD. I still feel that it's a bit clunkier as opposed to TTYD which was much smoother.

I also still find the Spin Dash dissappointing since you can only do it in short bursts that have a pause in between (yes I know you can jump but that's still a bit annoying to have to do) and can't steer it, it would've been much better as simply "hold Z to move fast". Lakilester is a much better option, but you don't unlock him until Chapter 6 as opposed to Mini-Yoshi who is unlocked in Chapter 3 of TTYD.

I'm playing with the Paper Mario Refolded texture pack, which I strongly recommend. I think the original artstyle of this game was kind of cute and unique but I was never hugely in love with it.

I'm doing a playthrough of Puyo Puyo Tetris as Amitie when the choice is available.
It's so neat to see an entire universe made surrounding the two puzzles.

Forza Horizon 4. I play it on my laptop since it has... *checks sticker* Intel Core i7. It runs surprisingly smooth, at 60 fps, although it also activates my laptop's special 2-in-1 feature, "Portable Heater Mode".

Child of Light (PC)

Finally gave this one a go, I had been considering it ever since @Ray Trace recommended it to me a long time ago.

Doesn't have a Linux version but appears to run very well as long as I use Proton Experimental.

When I learned that the main character, Aurora, is Austrian, I couldn't help but give the game a go in German even though I've never played it in English

I think it's alright so far, but I've played very little. It even reminds me faintly of Super Paper Mario (captivating, story rich game, 2D platforming, partner who uses a pointer mechanism). My German isn't quite good enough to fully understand the story but from what I can read, I'm very into it.

Screenshot_2023-08-13_21-27-22.png

Familiars.io

Going to shout out this sick monster catching online browser game.

Very cool, you should play it.

1693942729596.png

1693942848163.png

It looks great and the music is super good.​

Garry's Mod

Mostly taking these screenshots to oogle at some new outfits I made for Ray Trace.

20231003065636_1.jpg

Ray Trace feeds Baby Luigi cereal. Anything Ray Trace tends to prepare in the kitchen turns out to be an utter disaster so this is at his best culinary ability.

20231003071520_1.jpg

НЗУ! IТ'S ТНЗ ЯЦSSIДИ! (what he's actually saying: "NZU! IT'S TNZ YATSSSIDI!")

Old School RuneScape

I hit a total level of 1500, which means I can now say goodbye to my usual world of 353 (the US East Coast server that is restricted to players with a total level of 1250 or higher) and say hello to World 416 (the US East Coast server restricted to players with a total level of 1500 or higher) instead.

Btw, ignore the timestamps - I was not playing at 5:30 in the morning. The default setting for the timestamps is server time, which is UTC, and not my local time.

Screenshot_20231009-013741.png

Tomodachi Life

a flandre2.jpg

What da Flandre dreamin about

2D Mainline Mario games from SMB1 - NSMBW. (SMB1, SMB2, SMB2LL, SMB3, SMW, SML, SML2, NSMB, NSMBW)

Pretty good games. Except for any version of Lost Levels.

On Switch, an attempt to speedrun Mario Odyssey (finished Metro in about an hour, I've died a few times tho). On some Japanese NES-thing with 620 games on it, using its weird debug mode to play World 8 on Super Mario Bros. 3

it's been 3 days nonstop now...
View attachment 38817
*sniffles* i won't give up

I. Hate. This. Game. WITH EVERYTHING IN ME. Dude, that one secret stage in Noki Bay, i believe, had put me to tears over its insane difficulty and unfair obstacles. Although the Chuckster level was just as bad, it didn't take me as long. Man, this game gives me horrible memories. (Curse you, Corona Mountain and Pachinko Machine)

Garry's Mod

20231031194807_1.jpg

"Ladno, what the heck is this? This isn't our front yard!"

Back