Next Mario Game

Sooooooo

The Mario series hasn't had any new games recently. At least main series games. what do you think the next game will be like and what it's gimmick will be.

Maybe we can get a sequel to Odyssey and have it be about Peach and her wacky misadventures with Tiara but I'll probably keep dreaming.

In terms of the Super Mario platformers, I would like to see a new 2D one. The last one was Super Mario Maker 2, which was three years ago at this point. Considering that we've gotten a fair few 3D games recently with Odyssey, 3D All-Stars and Bowser's Fury, I'd like to see the 2D series pushed in a new direction like Odyssey and Bowser's Fury did for the 3D series.

Maybe for an anniversary title they can go back to their roots and make essentially super Mario Bros 1, 2, and 3 but with the graphics of the new super Mario Bros.

I personally don't want a game that's just trying to relive nostalgia, especially after Super Mario Maker doing precisely that... but sign me up for a reboot of Super Mario Bros. 2 USA. If there's a game that should get a fresh coat of paint, it should be that one.

Or the Super Mario Land games.

Reactions: zel
I personally don't want a game that's just trying to relive nostalgia, especially after Super Mario Maker doing precisely that... but sign me up for a reboot of Super Mario Bros. 2 USA. If there's a game that should get a fresh coat of paint, it should be that one.

Or the Super Mario Land games.
YES.

MARIO LAND AND MARIO LAND 2 ARE THE BEST MARIO GAMES AND DESERVE MORE HAN JUST A REBOOT

I'd also rather the unique artstyles of of SMB1, 2, and 3 not be replaced with the fugly artstyle of the NSMB games.
Well I'd much prefer if those art styles were replaced with a new sprite style that more reflects modern Mario.

I liked the style myself....I just didn't need to see it repeated for 4 games in a row.

I don't think there's necessarily anything wrong with the NSMB style personally, but it's overstayed its welcome and has been showing its age for a while, especially compared to other modern 2D platformers. I think an art style that has some more depth, like the 3D World style in SMM2, would be nice.

The NSMB art style was fine in NSMBDS but when around Wii came around and we had a gorgeous set of platformers since then, it's long overdue we get a new one that doesn't look as flat, hideous, and most importantly outdated as it does now. Either go full 3D or full 2D. It's heavily requested we get the art style to mimic the vector art we see in Mario promos and I also advocate using that art style as well, which would give Mario a unique flavor.

Question, if there was a New Super Mario Bros. game but with 2D visuals, would you guys still call it the "NSMB art style"?

People would call it the Newer New Super Mario Bros. art style used in the more recent or "newer" games.

I agree that the 3D world style from SMM2 would be nice
Yeah, at least the ground has a semblance of perspective, but it still kind of runs in the problem of appearing disjoint from the space it's supposed to be in.... though to be fair, it's probably not a problem unique to Mario, unlike the current issue I take with the orthographic perspective/2D art mixing with 3D stuff as well as the "manufactured" feel of these levels due to how reliant on tiling Super Mario Maker is (non-Mario Maker 2D games in general currently have this issue of looking like they were made in a level maker despite being solid levels in of themselves).

800px-RedPOWBlockontheMove_SMM2.png

800px-BuilderMarioLevel.jpg

Just compare it to the DK games where platforms aren't these floating tiles but attached to the stage.

800px-1312-18-Donkey-Kong-Tropical-Freeze-01.jpg

800px-BonusRoom6.jpg

Buffaloafer_Chasing_Kong.jpg

Reactions: zel
Maybe we can get a sequel to Odyssey and have it be about Peach and her wacky misadventures with Tiara but I'll probably keep dreaming.
My idea is similar, though instead of Princess Peach as a playable character, I would give that slot to Luigi with his own green version of Cappy.

Also, I wouldn't really mind a Super Mario Maker 3 game in 2023 either.

But I feel we already have someone who has potentially her own cappy? Why not expand Tiara as a character so she's not treated like the throwaway plot device that she currently is?

Also I notice Cappy is still restricted to his debut as well as Broodals. Oh well. At least Pauline managed to get some appearances though I wish she'd reference Mario vs. Donkey Kong or something with the mini toys.

There is a Luigi
My idea is similar, though instead of Princess Peach as a playable character, I would give that slot to Luigi with his own green version of Cappy.

There is a Luigi hat cappy in Odyssey so it wouldn't be that good and new. Unless there was a player two that was Luigi and you both had the cappy gimmick

Mario maker 3 would be nice however some people wouldn't be able to tell the difference of it and 2 because most of the people I know play Mario Maker 3DS

Back