Why does MarioWiki cover Yoshi, DK and Wario games?

THIEF

Goomba
Especially if many Yoshi, DK and Wario characters haven't made an appearance in a Mario game?

To answer the question I think the characters starring in them are considered Mario family characters, so those series should probably get coverage as sister series. Additionally, Luigi's Mansion has plenty of characters that are limited to just the games they appeared and is also a spinoff of the Mario games. If Luigi were to get more of his own games, it would probably fall in the same camp as Yoshi and Wario games at least.

Yoshi is the closest series to Mario, however. It stars Mario frequently (with Luigi needing rescue, but it also has Peach, Wario, and Donkey Kong), and a big portion of enemies in Yoshi's Island additionally appear in Mario games (Shy Guys, Koopa Troopas, Boos, Goombas, Piranha Plants, Snifit, Cheep Cheeps, Bloopers, Bullet Bills; there are also ! Switches and POW Blocks and Warp Pipes) or they're variants of existing Mario enemies. Some common Mario enemies even make their debut in Yoshi's Island (Nep-Enut, Bandit, Little Mouser, Crayzee Dayzee), and several Yoshi's Island designs for the creatures have been seen in Paper Mario games. The adult Mario himself even appears in Yoshi's New Island and not even as a cameo but as an interactable character (albeit disguised), and adult Bowser appears in at least three Yoshi games. It would be very weird to leave the Yoshi games out of the Mario series, wouldn't it?

And that's just the platformers. Yoshi does have other weird games like Yoshi and Yoshi's Cookie which are closer to Mario spinoffs than Yoshi games but eh.

Donkey Kong also has the honour of having his themes and the main characters appearing in the Mario games, even if Mario hardly shows up in the Donkey Kong games (post-Country, save for a cameo in the second game). For example, he has a race track literally called "DK Jungle", and then-regular nemesis King K. Rool appeared in the second Baseball game. Even the Kremlings appear in first two Strikers games, and that's not to mention how Funky Kong was in Mario Kart Wii. And also agreed that Yoshi shares a lot in common with Mario that it is very difficult to really delineate the games that a change of artstyle is warranted to differentiate them. Even in Smash, there are some oddities regarding the Yoshi universe, like the fact that one of the Yoshi stages is from Super Mario World, which is clearly a Mario game.

More to the point, Yoshi, Donkey Kong and Wario first appeared in the Mario games, which is why they are covered. This is despite the fact that Wario's games are hardly referenced in the Mario games.

Thank you for reading.

Because they are Mario characters.

we used to have a dk wiki and theres a reason it was merged with mario wiki a few years ago
ultimately yeah these all go under the larger "mario series" umbrella. i think it makes sense

Meh I've seen this argument before but I still think Donkey Kong is a sort of Mario game and Mario would take on some odd stuff here and there before settling on Super Mario Bros.

Yeah I feel like Mario being the playable character in the original Donkey Kong makes it more of a Mario game than a Donkey Kong game, it's just an example of a game where the antagonist is the title character and not the protagonist.

The weirdest series being on the wiki is G&W,
Gallery makes the Mario games by release date a bit wonky

Donkey Kong had his own wiki in the past. dkwiki.com
So the MarioWiki had bunch of the DK contents despite having DKWiki.
There were few new Donkey Kong games coming out (only in 2010 and 2014), so wiki was quiet.
The wiki was merged with MarioWiki in 2018, and automatically redirect to mariowiki.com

Last edited:
Especially if many Yoshi, DK and Wario characters haven't made an appearance in a Mario game?
Maybe it's because Yoshi and Wario have both been involved in at least one mainstream Super Mario title. As for Donkey Kong, the original DK was Mario's first major antagonist.

However, of those three, Yoshi has stronger ties to the Super Mario series, since he does face the same kind of enemies as Mario, and they both share the same main antagonist as well.

To answer the question I think the characters starring in them are considered Mario family characters, so those series should probably get coverage as sister series. Additionally, Luigi's Mansion has plenty of characters that are limited to just the games they appeared and is also a spinoff of the Mario games. If Luigi were to get more of his own games, it would probably fall in the same camp as Yoshi and Wario games at least.

Yoshi is the closest series to Mario, however. It stars Mario frequently (with Luigi needing rescue, but it also has Peach, Wario, and Donkey Kong), and a big portion of enemies in Yoshi's Island additionally appear in Mario games (Shy Guys, Koopa Troopas, Boos, Goombas, Piranha Plants, Snifit, Cheep Cheeps, Bloopers, Bullet Bills; there are also ! Switches and POW Blocks and Warp Pipes) or they're variants of existing Mario enemies. Some common Mario enemies even make their debut in Yoshi's Island (Nep-Enut, Bandit, Little Mouser, Crayzee Dayzee), and several Yoshi's Island designs for the creatures have been seen in Paper Mario games. The adult Mario himself even appears in Yoshi's New Island and not even as a cameo but as an interactable character (albeit disguised), and adult Bowser appears in at least three Yoshi games. It would be very weird to leave the Yoshi games out of the Mario series, wouldn't it?

And that's just the platformers. Yoshi does have other weird games like Yoshi and Yoshi's Cookie which are closer to Mario spinoffs than Yoshi games but eh.
Same here. If Waluigi were to ever have his own spin off game series, I wouldn't be surprised if any characters from that spin off game series were on the Mario wiki despite not technically being Mario characters.

As others have already said, Wario, Yoshi, and Donkey Kong are Mario characters. Their games fall under the Mario umbrella. Donkey Kong and Mario originated in the same game. Yoshi's games are full of Mario enemies, heavily involve the Mario cast as babies (in addition to the Yoshis and Kamek) and Yoshi is inseparable from the Mario universe due to being designed for Super Mario World. Wario's connection to Mario literally is in his name. Just because the protagonist of those particular games is someone other than Mario, doesn't mean they're separate franchises in the vein of Zelda, Metroid, etc.

I consider them all to be "Mario characters" and "Mario games" for the reasons others have stated in this thread, but also I think the practical reason is because separate wikis would mean separate userbases which leads to less in-depth coverage overall. Also, as another user alluded to, Yoshi, DK and Wario games come out much less frequently than other Mario games, especially nowadays, and that doesn't exactly encourage active editing, which wikis depend on by their very nature (again, just look at what happened to the Donkey Kong Wiki). So given that, and the not-insignificant overlap between the Yoshi, DK, Wario and greater Mario series as well as their fanbases, it just makes sense to consolidate everything.

(And I just want to clarify that I wasn't one of the people actually making these decisions; this is just an educated hypothesis I came up with for the reasoning.)

Luigi's Mansion is also covered on the Mario Wiki, and that, too, is a side franchise. Super Smash Bros. characters all each have their own entries on the wiki as well, including Kirby, Sonic, and... Cloud Strife. Y'know, from Final Fantasy 7. I know we're talking about games, but it's worth noting that Super Smash Bros. isn't a "Mario game" and is in fact its own side series (even has its own wiki), and yet its characters wind up on the Mario Wiki... specifically because they're in Smash.

Naturally if there is significant overlap, it makes sense to have an entry about it. Even the games you mentioned still have a very large amount of overlap with Mario.

Like someone else said:

All those characters are a significant part of Mario's history and it's not much of a reach to assume they are in the same universe.

My sister tends to be a lot more disgruntled in the site of complaining, puerile toxicity, bad faith questions/intellectual dishonesty, a site where I had to debate white supremacists and MRA-lite types. I don't post there for months now. Think of how more snarky and irritable people are on Twitter.

I don't see the need to bring up a slight my sister did offsite two months ago though.

they asked an innocuous question, geez

It's posted in bad faith, which is 90% of that user's posting history, and if he really wanted a serious answer to that question, he should have asked, you know, MarioWiki instead of...GameFAQs...?

I'm not going to further stir the pot here, if you want further elaboration on why I reacted that way on GameFAQs, DM me.

Back