Video game tier lists

1647228428950.png

• Dr. Mario 64 is the gold standard for Dr. Mario games, because of the featured games, it is a lot more fully-featured compared to a lot of its contemporaries. It introduces a lot of new modes to try out, and it has a loveably silly Story mode that is something I liked about Puyo Puyo games, though I have to admit that using Wario Land 3 characters is odd. It's also the only one which has 4-players in a competitive environment, which is something you never see ever again.
  • Dr. Mario World is another superb game, mainly for how great of a fit this game is to the mobile format, and also because it's a very revolutionary game for the franchise since the series typically resists innovation for some reason. Not only are the touch controls refined from Virus Buster, but it also introduces a lot of tricky elements that makes it a good puzzle game. Obviously, the addition of many characters is another great thing for the series, so it's not just Mario and Luigi doing pharmaceutical duties (though some people think it diminishes the prestige of being a doctor, which I disagree)
  • Dr. Luigi felt like a good innovation in a long time, which is why he's in the "Great" category. Operation L is a very good twist to the formula, but playing it on High speed is very difficult. It helps that the classic variation is still available.
  • Dr. Mario: Miracle Cure is a good compilation of Dr. Mario and Dr. Luigi, plus it has a decent Miracle Cure mode, and it has pre-designed stages! But it also removes some features for some reason, like selecting music or the ability to continue past Level 20 (except in Virus Buster).
  • Both Dr. Mario games for the NES and GB are merely good, mainly for establishing the basics. The controls can be rather rigid unfortunately, because the capsule lock delay (time it takes before the capsule's position is locked) is incredibly tight, and the capsules move in piece-by-piece increments. This applies to Tetris & Dr. Mario, which strongly takes after those games, though at least that one has Vs. CPU.
  • Dr. Mario & Puzzle League has the standard features of Dr. Mario, and also a Vertical Mode, but it's otherwise a very simple representation of the game.
  • Dr. Mario Express is exceptionally mediocre for how there is little to it: there's only Classic and Vs. CPU. No multiplayer at all, and so the price justified how little content it has. That does not prevent it from being mediocre, unfortunately.
  • Dr. Mario: Vitamin Toss is practically the outlier for how much it does not have anything in common with the other Dr. Mario games, since it's after all a Flash game that is more akin to a minigame than a fully-fledged Dr. Mario game.
Thank you for reading.

The tier list I am certain the denizens of marioboards . com were waiting for with bailed breath (Theme: "Failed 32-bits consoles")

1647267439616.png

3DO: Unviable business model, sensible design that anticipated where the industry was heading. Had decent third party support and can claim to have started two legitimately popular game franchises (Need for Speed and Gex). That so many of its games were ported to mainstream consoles after it died show that it left a mark on the industry.

FM Towns Marty: Library is an interesting blend of definitive ports of western home computer games, Japanese computer games and arcade ports. Somewhat lacking in interesting original titles.

32X: A flawed design PITA to set up with so many points of failure. Has a small library of games I happen to tremendously enjoy (I would honest-to-god argue Sega of Japan better supported it with interesting games that showcased the hardware than they did the Sega CD)

Jaguar: Terrible design that wasn't good at 2D or 3D. Has a number of genuinely outstanding games and its active homebrew community makes it interesting nonetheless. Keypad overlays are a cute novelty.

Virtual Boy: Obvious design flaws limit its intended appeal and user comfort ,but it is a cool novelty and has an interesting game library.

PC FX: Design that was good at the very specific thing it was designed for and terrible for where the industry was heading. Has notable games but suffer heavily from the language barrier.

CD32: Very few exclusive original games and most Amiga ports were so low-effort that they didn't fix the "You have to select between music or sound effects" and "Games only support one action button" issue. A not-too-bad way to experience the Amiga library.

Pippin: Atrocious design with basically no good games. I considered making it the very bottom but the Japanese library *might* be of limited interest.

Nuon: Extremely convoluted controller situation and games being incompatible with some models (or compatible *only* with a certain model) makes experiencing the tiny library (only eight games!) a PITA. Tempest 3000 and Iron Soldier 3 are notable games but the former has similar/better sequels on mainstream platforms and the later is much more accessible on PS1.

I'll rate and rank The Sims 4 Expansion Packs, and within these ranks, they aren't in any particular order.

I Love
Get To Work
I love the active careers and actually seeing them on the job, my favorite being the Detective one (which does add police officers to the game, hooray!), plus I like having the option to send them off on their own. The Detective career also gave me prison build/buy objects, and those types of furniture especially with the jail bars, are something I cherish. Can't build my dream prison complex without this expansion pack. Oh, and there's doctors and scientists too, but I haven't played them as extensively.

Seasons
This is absolutely a must-have, even for a weirdo player like me. I love the seasons and weather, adds a dynamic to the game such as freezing temperatures or thunderstorms, plus it comes with holidays. Plus it comes with more categories for outfits.

Get Famous
Del Sol Valley, the Hollywood location that provides me with the 64x64 lot, Chateau Peak. Reputation is a bit borked though (if you like, fight evil Sims who were mean at you relentlessly, you'll still get a reputation loss, plus the Neighborhood Brawl holiday isn't even that well implemented). I also like the Self-Absorbed trait as well lol. The Fame quirk and perk system is also pretty nice to play with though some quirks are annoying such as Vain Street or the phone one. You can at least choose to opt out of fame.

Cottage Living
Probably my favorite expansion pack after Seasons. It has CHICKENS. And birds that come from trees! Cows! And the first time we ever get to see the physical appearance of llamas in the series! It's a lot of fun keeping those animals!

It's Okay
City Living
Mostly because a lot of the lot challenges (aka all of the negative lot traits) such as Quake Zone, Mean Vibe, Cursed, Grody, Gremlins, Filthy, and Haunted come from here, plus it added Singing as a skill. Talking toilet is amazing too. But aside from that, I don't really choose to live in a small little city complex, especially in my games where I control a huge party of Sims.

Island Living
The two things I like are Mermaids and the volcano lot trait but that's about it, a lot of the activities here are self-contained, especially the ocean stuff.

I Can Do Without
Get Together
I don't really use clubs. Sure it comes with some nice dancy objects but eh... I do like the Dance Machine trait but that's about it. I appreciate the dancing skill too.

Cats & Dogs
I don't care about neither cats nor dogs, this is my least favorite expansion pack. The fact that My First Pet Stuff requires it is very gross. It's also a major downgrade from Sims 3: Pets. I mean, where is my bird pets, huh? Where are my parrots? And horses?

Discover University
There's not much that interests me here, campus life doesn't really interest me. The overextertion death animation might be the most valuable thing in the pack to me *shrug*.

Snowy Escape
The world of Komorebi and its activities are mostly self-contained, hence why it's not high on my list. I like the Proper trait, thundersnow, and the Japanese culture that comes with it but that's about it.

I am now posting my latest Sonic the Hedgehog soundtrack tier list.

Untitled.png

Built as a spreadsheet, and then edited using Paint in the hopes it looks a little fancier. I am the peak of image creation.

Soundtracks are ordered by game release date within tiers, as ordering A tier in terms of quality was far too difficult (I love them all). Each tier is only relevant to the tier list, e.g. Sonic Unleashed isn't the greatest music ever made (it totally is though), and I do not have an irrational hatred for Sonic CD US (I totally do though).

Not every game ever is on here, just the ones I think are important enough to be listed on here. This is primarily games that recieved a soundtrack release, though I threw in a couple extra games I considered key to the "classic era", and the Advance games.

I have colour coded each game by the period of time it released in, with a key in the bottom left (the number is the amount of soundtracks I put in that era). I did this to see if I had any particular biases like I thought I did, which ended up not being as noticeable as I thought they were, though I did notice I tend to put more recent (2010+) stuff in the higher tiers of the chart (I'd consider D tier to be around the point where the quality starts to dip for me, though I still enjoy anything there). These eras are primarily split by the people who worked on the music, and the general sound of the series at the time. Main series games play a much bigger role in this decision then spin-offs do. For a full explanation of the eras:
Classic: I'd say this is like the wild west in terms of who was involved. Sonic 1&2 were entirely done by Masato Nakamura, who then never worked on anything else. Sonic CD, 3 & Knuckles, and 3D were all done by people who worked at SEGA, however they were: Replaced by music by someone who worked at SEGA of America when released in that region, had an unconfirmed amount of assistance by Michael Jackson and his producers, and replaced by music by someone who worked at SEGA of Europe when ported to the SEGA Saturn, respectively. This also ignores the fact that there's barely any consistency in who from SEGA actually worked on what game. With the only overlap being Jun Senoue, Tatsuyuki Maeda and Masaru Setsumaru working on both 3 & Knuckles and 3D. In terms of sound? It's mostly just the sound of the Genesis's FM synth, though whenever a chance was given to go beyond that, a lot of influence was taken from 90s Dance music.

Dreamcast: Primarily defined by Jun Senoue. Obviously this involves a stupid amount of rock music.

Modern: Somewhat defined by Tomoya Ohtani. The stage themes in Sonic '06 and Rush Adventure were split between him and Mariko Nanba, while he contributed to Unleashed, Fumie Kumatani and Kenichi Tokoi did most of the work there, and the stage themes were once again split in Colors, this time with Kenichi Tokoi. In fact Tokoi ended up being sound director for Colors, and Jun Senoue returned to the role for Generations. I'd say the sound is primarily influenced by Drum and Bass, with breakbeats having a heavy presence in every game up to Generations. There's also a heavy amount of live intruments, being used to take on a variety of genres besides rock (but still also a bit of rock).

Post-Modern: Almost entirely defined by Tomoya Ohtani. I'd say this is the point where he goes from heavily working with other people, to composing and arranging almost every song in the game (with the exception of cutscenes, which are usually done by Takahito Eguchi). It's sound is primarily influenced by modern EDM, which does make me question the placement of Lost World/Runners, but they're still soundtracks that have little involvement from anyone besides Ohtani.

I just wrote all of that so I am not writing any further details about each individual placement. If you really care about any of my placements that much, please tell me why I'm objectively wrong and I will elaborate with evidence I am always correct.

I'll rate and rank The Sims 4 Expansion Packs, and within these ranks, they aren't in any particular order.

I Love
Get To Work
I love the active careers and actually seeing them on the job, my favorite being the Detective one (which does add police officers to the game, hooray!), plus I like having the option to send them off on their own. The Detective career also gave me prison build/buy objects, and those types of furniture especially with the jail bars, are something I cherish. Can't build my dream prison complex without this expansion pack. Oh, and there's doctors and scientists too, but I haven't played them as extensively.

Seasons
This is absolutely a must-have, even for a weirdo player like me. I love the seasons and weather, adds a dynamic to the game such as freezing temperatures or thunderstorms, plus it comes with holidays. Plus it comes with more categories for outfits.

Get Famous
Del Sol Valley, the Hollywood location that provides me with the 64x64 lot, Chateau Peak. Reputation is a bit borked though (if you like, fight evil Sims who were mean at you relentlessly, you'll still get a reputation loss, plus the Neighborhood Brawl holiday isn't even that well implemented). I also like the Self-Absorbed trait as well lol. The Fame quirk and perk system is also pretty nice to play with though some quirks are annoying such as Vain Street or the phone one. You can at least choose to opt out of fame.

Cottage Living
Probably my favorite expansion pack after Seasons. It has CHICKENS. And birds that come from trees! Cows! And the first time we ever get to see the physical appearance of llamas in the series! It's a lot of fun keeping those animals!

It's Okay
City Living
Mostly because a lot of the lot challenges (aka all of the negative lot traits) such as Quake Zone, Mean Vibe, Cursed, Grody, Gremlins, Filthy, and Haunted come from here, plus it added Singing as a skill. Talking toilet is amazing too. But aside from that, I don't really choose to live in a small little city complex, especially in my games where I control a huge party of Sims.

Island Living
The two things I like are Mermaids and the volcano lot trait but that's about it, a lot of the activities here are self-contained, especially the ocean stuff.

I Can Do Without
Get Together
I don't really use clubs. Sure it comes with some nice dancy objects but eh... I do like the Dance Machine trait but that's about it. I appreciate the dancing skill too.

Cats & Dogs
I don't care about neither cats nor dogs, this is my least favorite expansion pack. The fact that My First Pet Stuff requires it is very gross. It's also a major downgrade from Sims 3: Pets. I mean, where is my bird pets, huh? Where are my parrots? And horses?

Discover University
There's not much that interests me here, campus life doesn't really interest me. The overextertion death animation might be the most valuable thing in the pack to me *shrug*.

Snowy Escape
The world of Komorebi and its activities are mostly self-contained, hence why it's not high on my list. I like the Proper trait, thundersnow, and the Japanese culture that comes with it but that's about it.
Where does the Star Wars Batuu pack rank?

(unless you don't own that one)

Where does the Star Wars Batuu pack rank?

(unless you don't own that one)

That's a game pack, not an expansion pack and I'll talk about them in a later post.

I forgot to add Eco Lifestyle on the tier list.

It's on the I Can Do Without solely because NAPS are broken af, they cause all sorts of autonomy issues with your Sims, and the Sharing is Caring NAP is the absolute worst feature of The Sims 4 bar none. The eco stuff sounds fine such as recycling and the footprint, but it's the NAPs alone that just does it for me and how much headaches it has caused.

tier list of expansion packs coming soon trademark

The (definitive) Cars 3: Driven to Win character tier list (part 1)

SS Tier

Miss Fritter

"I hope you all have good insurance!"

Imagine if you will the Magic School Bus. You know, that happy go lucky transforming vehicle piloted by the wonderful Miss Frizzle. Now imagine the Magic School Bus possessed by a destruction-obsessed demon and you get... one of THE best Cars characters ever.

With her collection of license plates dangling from her roof to the circular buzzsaw STOP signs she weaponizes, you'd better think twice before racing against this large and in charge resident of Thunder Hollow.

Chef's kiss.

S tier

Dr. Damage

"Wee woo, wee woo, woop!"

Kicking off the S Tier, we have Thunder Hollow's Dr. Damage. This "Rambulance" is the last thing you want see before you go careening into the air.

Guido
"Pit stop."

Guido doesn't talk in Driven to Win, so I put his most famous quote to fill that silent void.

Guido is the lovable Italian forklift who is a great character in Cars 3: Driven to Win. His small stature may pale in comparison to someone like Mack or Miss Fritter, but don't judge a vehicle by its tires. Guido is a speed demon on the track.

Chick Hicks
"Ka-chicka, ka-chicka!"
Rounding out the S tier is the forever Piston Cup champion, Chick Hicks! This talented and well intentioned racer doesn't cheat his way to victory, only using his AMAZING and EXCELLENT raw driving skills to take home the trophy!

I wasn't paid by Chick Hicks to write this, I swear...

A Tier

Lightning McQueen/Fabulous Lightning McQueen

"Kachow!"

Ah yes, Lightning McQueen, You can't go wrong with a classic.

The Next-Gens (Cam Spinner, Rich Mixon, and Jackson Storm)
"Please, save the photo ops for after the race."

These new high-tech racers dominate the racing simulators. With sleek, aerodynamic designs, they zip across the tracks at bursting speeds. I like Cam the most, with Jackson being my second favorite.

B Tier

Mater/Mater the Greater

"Ooh-wee! I am revin' and rarin' to race!"

Despite being a rusty tow truck, Mater packs a lot of horsepower under the non-existent hood. His air stunt persona makes an appearance as an unlockable boss character.

The Thomasville Trio (River Scott, Junior Moon, and Louise Nash)
"Time to spread some dirt down on the track."

These old timers certainly haven't lost their racing spirit. As the ones who originally raced with the legendary Doc Hudson, they aren't afraid to pull off wild moves and stunts to get ahead of the pack.

Make Tier Lists. Memes preferably.

This was meant to be two tier. Cool and Cringe were the original tiers.
Bribery means the characters would pay me to put them higher.
Give His Wife Back tier is strictly for Pac-Man. Makes sense.
Ultimate, Truly Epic, Awesome, Cool, Standard, Ok?, Bruh, and Cringe are all basic. Higher means better.
Joker tier is only for Joker.
Perish tier is for characters I would kill, and Corrin. I dislike Corrin.
Disney Tier is for Disney characters. I hate Disney.
Screenshot 2022-11-15 014100.png
Screenshot 2022-11-15 014129.png

Explaining Characters.
Miis: I made them all different version of my Mii. Miitopia for Sword, Sports for Brawler, and Smash for Gunner. Being a Smash character in a Smash tier list isn't impressive.
Wario: Wario does not feature on this list.
Alex and Steve: I meant to put Alex in ultimate because I use them as my main skin, but I messed it up. Steve is in the correct place.
Inkling: All of the agents were female in the Splatoon relationship chart. I will not accept this level of disrespect towards Inkling Boy, so I put him up a tier.
Red and Leaf: Pikachu told me to put Red higher.
Sans: From Undertale.
Yoshi: Doesn't pay taxes, so he has the money. (Is Yoshi a he?(IDK))

Back