Mario 1 on the NES sucks!!

Creeper7000

Goomba
Banned User
Jesus christ this game is unplayable! The physics are terrible and they literally freaking reuse levels! And the enemies are just stupid random bs that just kill you everytime! You literally have to be lucky to beat this game since you can just happen to die if an enemy just happens to be there!! I literally can't get past the 8th world because I keep dying to some rng bs, and this is on the allstars version with has a save feature!! The game developers also were generous enough NOT to put any mushrooms or powerups in this stupid world, meaning that if you get hit, you die immediately!! So unless you start the entire freaking game over, you have to stay small the entire time!! Imagine playing this crappy game on a legit nes and having to start the ENTIRE game over because of how random this stupid game is!

Yeah it's an old game, old games tend to be...like this (Super Mario Bros. is probably one of the tamer games on the NES, it's filled with crap like this). I think in the original NES, there's a button combo that lets you reload from the first level of the world at the title screen you lost your lives from but there's no way of knowing this without some sort of guide.

(Super Mario Bros. is probably one of the tamer games on the NES, it's filled with crap like this)
Yeah it is for sure one of the tamest games on the system
Anyway, NES? Never really liked it all if I'm gonna be honest, my list of NES games I unironically enjoy is pretty small
Super Mario Bros. though, is on that list for me
It has jank for sure but it's pretty well designed considering what it is
When I replayed the game I was kinda shocked how solidly it was sort of pulled off
The NES mario's except lost levels are just pretty damn solid NES games.

Jesus christ this game is unplayable! The physics are terrible and they literally freaking reuse levels! And the enemies are just stupid random bs that just kill you everytime! You literally have to be lucky to beat this game since you can just happen to die if an enemy just happens to be there!! I literally can't get past the 8th world because I keep dying to some rng bs, and this is on the allstars version with has a save feature!! The game developers also were generous enough NOT to put any mushrooms or powerups in this stupid world, meaning that if you get hit, you die immediately!! So unless you start the entire freaking game over, you have to stay small the entire time!! Imagine playing this crappy game on a legit nes and having to start the ENTIRE game over because of how random this stupid game is!

same but for SMB3

I don't know if this is a joke, but the video game industry was still young during the 1980's. It's to be expected that games from that time will look low quality when compared to the games from the newer generations.

See I know that this thread is blatant bait (because while obviously people can have differing opinions, I think it's pretty damn obvious that if you come in to start ranting about how a video game that is widely considered to be one of the best video games of all time is actually crappy and a terrible game then you're pretty obviously just doing it for attention), I just need to point this out:
Imagine playing this crappy game on a legit nes and having to start the ENTIRE game over because of how random this stupid game is!
Holding the A button as you press the start button on the title screen when you get a game over starts you over on the first level of the world you died on. ;)

It is by many critics. Check out the list of video games considered the bestest on Wikipedia. There are about a dozen citations of video game journalists making such a claim for Super Mario Bros 1 on the NES.

That doesn't make them right, of course. It's just a claim that's been made.

Also important to remember that usually when critics or reviewers do something like the 'Top 20 Games of all Time', they don't factor in how a game holds up in 2021, but rather solely in the context of when it was released, its influences on the industry as a whole, and just general legacy overall.

Anything else would probably result in a heavy recency bias tbh.

Nah it's fine.

Long since surpassed but fine.

Though the complaining about the re-used levels amuses me since if I recall correctly they basically pushed the NES cartridges of that time to it's capacity, which makes sense considering it was a launch game.

Yeah it hasn't aged well, luckily it's got a sequel (we're just pretending that SMB2 doesn't exist) that's a whole lot better.

.. it is? like it was extremely influential and important for mario and gaming as a while but in modern standards the game onits own is like. nothing spectacular
That's probably true but at the same time it's pretty good how it still holds on its own today. It's like docking Ocarina of Time for its unspectacular visuals but there were hardly games at the scale of this game at the time. It just feels really unfair. I do suggest holding your nose and trying your NSO NES platformers (barring Super Mario Bros. 3) like Mario Bros. and Ice Climbers; you'll appreciate Super Mario Bros. more.

Additionally think of the context of Super Mario Bros. being made. You're not getting much other games with longevity like Breath of the Wild or Super Smash Bros. Brawl. You probably do have more free time completing the game so they probably padded out or made it more arcade-like difficult so you'll spend more time on the game. Nowadays, there's more stuff you can do in these games so there's less need to do this as well. Didn't age well? Yes, but at the time, it was probably okay.

While it is important for the developers to make sure a game is not too easy or too hard, it was actually quite common for NES games to be much harder than modern games (which I suspect is to make the time spent on them longer; games from the 80's are obviously way smaller than what we get now; lack of saves is merely technical limitations with the cartridge itself). And I know I am exempt from saying this since I've been a fan for a long time and World 1-1 is practically encoded to my memory, but the game ain't all that hard. From what I can tell, you simply just need to adjust to how this game works compared to newer Mario games. Practice makes perfect. If you're playing Super Mario Bros. on original hardware, might I suggest some more modern alternatives? If you have a Wii U, you can download it from there as a Virtual Console title or on the Switch through the NSO service (and the base plan will suffice). Those versions give you the option to make save states, which should make it a little easier for you to get through the levels.

To be honest, I'm not that fond of the original Super Mario Bros. myself, but calling it "crappy" is blatantly false. If it weren't for this "crappy" game, the video game industry would've looked a whole lot different. I know the game isn't particularly an example of an amazing video game, but it was revolutionary and amazing back then, and for the technical limitations the NES provided.

If it weren't for SMB, Super Mario Odyssey wouldn't exist today, which I assume must be your favorite game because it the newest and shiniest one.

Okay, enough of this, y'all know this stuff already. I'm very grateful for that.

haha charade you are
also considering i beat the original game, like what alex said:
66sbvy5wal831.jpg

This was bait. You didn't need to bump this.

Back