Super Smash Bros. All-Time Merit Ranking (Finale in Issue 194!)

SonicMario

Star Spirit
Hello everyone! Smash speculation is over, likely for a long while. But I do still want to carry on some form of celebrating what a momentous roster Ultimate had collected. The future of Smash is very uncertain after this game, there's no promise we even get half of the current Ultimate roster in the base game of the next Smash. I want to do a new All-Time Merit ranking by the time this is done. I technically did an All-Time ranking before. But I think it was after Smash 4 was done, and by now maybe there's been some change not to mention a good amount of new faces.

Also, just a little over 30 of these will be able to make it into Shroom sections. Similar to Mach Speed Mayhem, you guys will get to vote on what characters I cover next. Though it's going to go a little quicker then MSM because only two characters per month will get on the Shroom. While the other 3 who are in the other spots of a Top 5 after a certain amount of time will be covered outside of the Shroom on my own time. You'll each get to name 5 fighters you'd like to see get covered next. We'll go by a point system.

The #1 pick in each person's list gets 10 points from each vote for them
#2 gets 8 points for each vote
#3 gets 6 points for each vote
#4 gets 4 points for each vote
And the last pick of the 5 only gets 2 points for each vote

Please format your votes like this (Or at least specify which character is which number in your list):

The Top 5 will be locked in slowly over the month. A week after the voting started, #5 will be locked in). 2 weeks after voting started, #4 will be locked in And then the 3rd week will decide #3 and at the same time the Top 2 going into the Shroom.

The other 3 are locked in as the next merits I do on my own time. Characters voted for that didn't make it into a Top 5 will have their points carried over. Though those who voted for them already can choose to change their ranking if say they for example have a 3rd choice that didn't make it into the set of first but their first two did. You can thus upgrade the 6 points that carry over into 8 or 10 if they are now your top priority (You may also choose to downgrade if you so wish. Though I'm not sure if anyone would actually do that).

Here's the checklist of fighters. I am going to eventually cover all the fighters in Ultimate. If there's no sudden hiatuses for any reason. It'll take about 17 months to be complete. Only 34 characters will be covered in the Shroom.

Pokemon Trainer and the Miis will be covered in the rankings as a single entity despite technically being more then one fighter as I view they cal all be viewed under a blanket in some fashon. Zelda and Sheik will be rated individually since by the time Ultimate rolled around their identities have definitely split, even if Sheik is still a form of Zelda. The different Links will be split, and so will the Zeldas. Pyra and Mythra will also be split. Though sort of only to make the number of characters 85 so that the project ends after 17 months exactly.

Each grouping will be ranked in merit against eachother. Though overtime they'll be headed into a large list of all the fighters that will culminate into an all-time merit ranking for all Smash Bros. fighters.

So without further adieu, place your votes everyone! You can vote for any character playable in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Last edited:
Why aren't you all voting for Piranha Plant? They totally corrupted Verge's brain. It Piranha Plant gets an entry, then there'll be guaranteed an amusing article in the Shroom! I also vote Wii Fit Trainer for no. 2 because I feel that's the second most silly addition that also adds a lot of character to Smash Bros.! Also do Sonic or Mario, I guess Sonic takes a slightly higher priority because Mario's so dead obvious addition, but just because you have a Sonic in your signature and that wouldn't be fair you have to skimp on your favorite character, huh? Mario, too, he's part of your name!

Why aren't you all voting for Piranha Plant? They totally corrupted Verge's brain. It Piranha Plant gets an entry, then there'll be guaranteed an amusing article in the Shroom! I also vote Wii Fit Trainer for no. 2 because I feel that's the second most silly addition that also adds a lot of character to Smash Bros.! Also do Sonic or Mario, I guess Sonic takes a slightly higher priority because Mario's so dead obvious addition, but just because you have a Sonic in your signature and that wouldn't be fair you have to skimp on your favorite character, huh? Mario, too, he's part of your name!

Just to confirm is this your list then?

1. Piranha Plant
2. Wii Fit Trainer
3. Sonic
4. Mario
5. (No 5th character mentioned)

1. Piranha plant
2. Banjo & Kazooie
3. Jigglypuff
4. Ganondorf
5. uh fuck it Young Link

Every three days after starting voting, I will give a current standings to give a look on the scores of all those voted on so far. So for this period leading up to the November issue. That'll probably be most Wednesdays and Saturdays. This coming Saturday will be a final warning that whoever is #5 in the list will be locked at that spot.

HALF WEEK STANDINGS:

Piranha Plant 30
Steve 22
Sonic 20
Banjo & Kazooie 16
Captain Falcon 14

Bowser 10
Dr. Mario 10
King K. Rool 10
Mario 10
Mythra 10
Luigi 8
Simon Belmont 8
Wii Fit Trainer 8
Byleth 8
Ice Climbers 8
Inkling 6
Mario 6
Chrom 6
Jigglypuff 6
Snake 4
Ike 4
Rosalina & Luma 4
Ganondorf 4
Mii Fighters 2
Diddy 2
Ridley 2
Wario 2
Zero Suit Samus 2
Cloud 2
Young Link 2

The Bold indicates the current Top 5. If nothing changes, Piranha Plant will be the Shroom section. And Captain Falcon is currently set to be the first one locked in. However, with how the points system works. It's still very, very, close. A number of people can still come in and dramatically change the Top 5. You may choose to try to get a different fighter into the Top 5 or have someone defend their spot in the Top 5 by adding onto it. #5 will be locked in at around Noon on this week's Sunday.

24 HOUR ALERT! Tomorrow at noon, the character at 5th place in the vote will be locked in. At this moment, that is currently Banjo & Kazooie. The plus side of being the first character locked in is they are the first character of the 5 that will get it's own coverage in the thread. Though of course they as well as the other 4 that are not #1 will never be a Shroom section. So if Banjo fans want to try to get him into a Shroom issue (Going to be some hard choices for much of the time since of course only 17 of the 85 will make the Shroom), you may want to drop your vote to go with someone else. Here are the standings:

Piranha Plant 30
Steve 26
Sonic 20
Dr. Mario 18
Banjo & Kazooie 16

King K. Rool 10
Mario 10
Mythra 10
Luigi 8
Simon Belmont 8
Wii Fit Trainer 8
Byleth 8
Ice Climbers 8
Bowser 6
Captain Falcon 6
Inkling 6
Mario 6
Chrom 6
Jigglypuff 6
Snake 4
Ike 4
Rosalina & Luma 4
Ganondorf 4
Mii Fighters 2
Diddy 2
Ridley 2
Wario 2
Zero Suit Samus 2
Cloud 2
Young Link 2

Next week, the stakes get slightly higher as #4 and #3 will be locked in. And the week after that. We'll have the Top 2 decided (Unless the vote is particularly close, in which there may be an overtime that heads into next week. But no further then that, because that'll be about a week before the Shroom's November issue

1. Chrom
2. Shulk
3. Rosalina
4. Dark Pit
5. Lucas

NV I don't understand this system

Is there something I can do to clarify any confusion?

Also... because of Gray Discord's vote. Chrom is now tied with Banjo. However, Banjo's still going to be the choice if nothing else changes because tiebreakers include how many people voted for them and/or how highly they put them on the lists should they have the same amount of people voting for them. (Currently Banjo has 3 people voting for him compared to 2 for Chrom, so he's still #5 overall)

Is there something I can do to clarify any confusion?

Also... because of Gray Discord's vote. Chrom is now tied with Banjo. However, Banjo's still going to be the choice if nothing else changes because tiebreakers include how many people voted for them and/or how highly they put them on the lists should they have the same amount of people voting for them. (Currently Banjo has 3 people voting for him compared to 2 for Chrom, so he's still #5 overall)
Are you covering the person who finishes 5th first?
that's the part that doesn't make sense to me
wouldn't it make more sense to cover the character that finished 1st first.

Are you covering the person who finishes 5th first?
that's the part that doesn't make sense to me
wouldn't it make more sense to cover the character that finished 1st first.

5th-2nd is covered in this thread, while #1 is on the Shroom. If I waited until #1 was first. That kind of leaves less time for me to finish the bulk of the fighters. So yes, I'll be starting with the character who gets locked in at 5th within a week of voting starting first. And most likely 4th and 3rd after that. Where I cover the 2nd one depends on how close the vote is between the Top 2 is in the end as maybe sometimes things get tight and I must finish the #1 choice first. Remember, only #1 picks get on the Shroom. Everyone else is in this thread (Though I will probably at least link the forum posts of the others I finished prior to the Shroom one within the post so that it's not entirely left out of the shroom).

Though hm, now that I think about it. Maybe it'd be easier if the Top 2 got on the Shroom instead. That way it's a more fair 34 out of the 85. Would that be more fair if I made it so the Top 2 made it in the Shroom?

Also, with Waluigi Time's changed vote. Chrom is now the character in position to be locked in tomorrow

Okay dokey the rankings are final

CHROM IS LOCKED IN!

Piranha Plant 30
Steve 26
Sonic 20
Dr. Mario 18
Chrom 16

People can vote to have someone above Chrom now, but unless they're voted above 4th place. It will only carry over into the next voting session.

Of course, with a Fire Emblem character being the first one up. I'm going to need a Fire Emblem fan who has personally played Awakenng to give their own excerpt about Chrom. I will have stuff of my own to say about Chrom just smash-wise, but I hope to have some kind of personal touch for almost every character involved. And safe to say, I won't have that experience for every character.

But anyhow, I've also decided to go through with the rule change I mentioned last night. It'll be the Top 2 that makes the Shroom now. This will make it easier because now the first weeks generally just lock in #5, then #4, and then with #3 the 2 covered in the Shroom will also be decided with more time to spare to write the columns before the Shroom releases. So by Halloween, the 2 characters going into the Shroom will be decided.

Reminder that voting is still open! We're just now deciding who will be #4 by this week's Sunday. Right now, that's Dr. Mario.

HALF-WEEK STANDINGS

Piranha Plant 30
Steve 26
Sonic 20
Dr. Mario 18

Chrom 16
Banjo & Kazooie 12
King K. Rool 10
Wii Fit Trainer 10
Mario 10
Mythra 10
Duck Hunt 10
Pit 10
Rosalina & Luma 10
Luigi 8
Simon Belmont 8
Byleth 8
Ice Climbers 8
Olimar 8
Fox 8
Shulk 8
Snake 8
Bowser 6
Captain Falcon 6
Inkling 6
Mario 6
Jigglypuff 6
Mewtwo 6
Link 6
Ike 4
Ganondorf 4
Min Min 4
Dark Pit 4
Mii Fighters 4
Cloud 4
Diddy 2
Ridley 2
Wario 2
Zero Suit Samus 2
Young Link 2
Wolf 2
Lucas 2

The Top 2 going into the Shroom currently slated to be Piranha Plant and Steve. Though nothing's set in stone until Halloween.

Also I have an update on how guest excerpts are going to work. For forum posted ones, it will be an open forum for all kinds of people to talk about each character whether they're familiar with the character or not. When the Top 2 are decided (Again this will be on Halloween). There will be about a week or 2 for posters to discuss their thoughts about the 2 fighters heading into the Shroom in this thread. The most well thought-out and/or denoting some form of experience with the character which will usually be fans of the series the character is from (Though I wouldn't be against featuring some people who have some good detailed thoughts even if they've never played and/or are neutral to the character and/or game series, there's still potential in hearing from people who main characters for example even though they've never played the original game) will be quoted and featured in the shroom section. Even if it's a character I'm familiar enough without needing an expert of the character or franchise they're from.

As Chrom is the only locked in character at the moment. You can actually feel free to talk about Chrom right now if you so wish. I will probably soon be giving out my character thoughts on him fairly soon. But for now, you can guys say anything about Chrom from now until the next voting session begins immediately after the November Shroom section is out.

Back