The Super Mario Bros. Movie (2023)

if we get a princess luigi joke you all owe me 100 dollars

luigi in dress ❎

have luigi being the damsel in distress (princess stand-in) ✅

tbh idk if thats a win or not

but hey loved seeing the dk and princess peach models in motion (with luigi and bowser acting fruity with each other STOP)

wait WHERE

the little guy farthest to the left. has the same dumb, pouting expression as him. i can also sorta make out his upward wisp of hair.

TSMBM_Rainbow_Road_2.jpg

as noted above, funky is also there. seemingly, at least--there are two primates wearing sunglasses in this shot.

That trailer was awesome! I can't wait for April, and I'm glad that Peach isn't being a throw-away damsel in distress type character like she is in the games. I'm also surprised that Kiddy is making an appearance, since he hasn't gotten any new material since his debut.

To a very limited capacity in Paper Mario sadly, but maybe this movie can get the ball rolling again! These designs are a good thing.

Bruh, the last 2 PMs alone had toads dressed like scientists, angels, bellhops, engineers, rescue squads, all sorts of junk.

Heck after the toad wearing sun glasses and a giant hand on his head, these are rather tame.

Hear me out (these are just what I'd Do) Ryan Reynolds as Waluigi and Danny DeVito as Wario. Can you IMAGINE the kind of shenanigans the VA's would pull? Besides, Waluigi's already hot as-is, but to give him the Voice of RYAN REYNOLDS would make him a deity of seggs appeal. I hope if Wario and Waluigi show up, those are their VA's. Also another trailer dropped.

In the first trailer it seemed like Chris Pratt was trying a slight Brooklyn accent, which at least seemed like effort to be faithful to Mario's Italian American character.

But after hearing more lines in this new commercial (third trailer!), it's just a normal voice of Chris Pratt sounding like himself.

Everything else about this movie looks amazing... except for Chris Pratt not being pushed by directors to actually voice act, when professional voice actors could have been cast for this cartoon movie instead.

If Mario doesn't sound Italian or Brooklyn, it's just a random person instead of the character Mario. Like casting a random person to play Mickey Mouse in their normal voice. Hearing a gruff Bowser voice when Bowser speaks shows that Jack Black is doing the job, it doesn't sound like Jack Black, that's the point of voice acting.

Last edited:
He seems really growly in that commercial, but that could be that almost all the scenes they've shown off so far are of Mario getting slapped around and/or frustrated.

except for Chris Pratt not being pushed by directors to actually voice act, when professional voice actors could have been cast for this cartoon movie instead.

If Mario doesn't sound Italian or Brooklyn, it's just a random person instead of the character Mario. Like casting a random person to play Mickey Mouse in their normal voice. Hearing a gruff Bowser voice when Bowser speaks shows that Jack Black is doing the job, it doesn't sound like Jack Black, that's the point of voice acting.
So what if Mario doesn't sound Italian or like a New Yorker, it's not THAT important. Mario's just a guy if you really think about it. He doesn't need an accent for this movie. And personally a stereotype accent would get very grating on the ears.

I mean why bother having it be Mario if he doesn't have either accent people tend to associate with the character?

(Obviously I know the answer is 'Because it's a Mario movie' but like having him just be accentless takes away a major part of what makes the character Mario, you know what I mean)

I mean why bother having it be Mario if he doesn't have either accent people tend to associate with the character?

(Obviously I know the answer is 'Because it's a Mario movie' but like having him just be accentless takes away a major part of what makes the character Mario, you know what I mean)
Then there can be a new voice to associate with him alongside Italian and Brooklyn.

So what if Mario doesn't sound Italian or like a New Yorker, it's not THAT important. Mario's just a guy if you really think about it.

Because Mario's character is an Italian American. That's why his name is Mario. He was named after Mario Segale and Miyamoto created Mario as an Italian in New York.

Should old man Tommy Lee Jones be cast as Peter Parker? Instead of a teenage New Yorker who tries to do the right thing, he's starting off as a grumpy old rural Texan that commits crimes? After all, that's still "just a guy".

Mario and Peter Parker are established characters with established traits, not just any random guy.

He doesn't need an accent for this movie. And personally a stereotype accent would get very grating on the ears.

It doesn't have to be a stereotype. Robert DeNiro talks in a New York accent for full movies and it's not grating. An Italian actor talking in an Italian accent for a full movie is not grating. They could have cast an actual New Yorker or Italian.

Even with a cartoony exaggerated voice, Charles Martinet doesn't have to be grating because he can tone it back during serious scenes. The same way the Disney character Goofy's cartoon voice can be toned back during serious scenes. After all, this is a cartoon movie.

Think they'll be from NY or New Donk?
Personally I'd prefer New Donk as it would make the story & world lore flow smoother. But if they go with the dated NY backstory I guess that's ok..

honestly it feels a bit insulting that they took Toadsworth's clothes and recolored them to give regular colored Toads, but didn't include the man himself. If he was here, these other guys could work as like, his students or something. But having them and not him reeks of them trying to have a Toadsworth without being allowed to use Toadsworth.

That's my only complaint and at the end of the day it's a nitpick. Movie looks great, I love how badass Peach is. Mario's voice could be better but it's fine. Loving how there's so many Kongs that haven't appeared in a long time, maybe my boy Bluster has a chance?

Edit: I guess if anyone wants my indepth thoughts I have a sort of analysis video that directly follows my raw reaction to the new trailer.

Back