The Super Mario Bros. Movie (2023)

This Martinet impressionist also shows Mario can still speak softly "what is this place?" and the voice doesn't always have to sound excited.
The Mario impression is nice but holy shit. Please keep the Keegan Michael Key voice for Toad, at least it won't murder my ears.

I actually don't think I'll tolerate a movie-length picture of both Mario and Toad screaming after listening to that video.

Really?! I can't believe this is true! Did Sam Kelly, Kenny James, Takashi Nagasako, and Atsushi Masaki say the same thing as well?
Is anyone going to answer this question? I really need to know if they said the same thing as Charles Martinet.

I'm having trouble finding the Mcdonald's Peach leak.. it's being talked about everywhere but I can't find the video. :(

Untitled drawing.png

Toad was definitely screaming, I agree!

But before Toad loudly interrupted, Mario spoke "what is this place..." softly, showing that range for quieter and more somber moments can be done in the Mario voice.

Like I don't know if it's the acting (I don't blame the fans, they're clearly trying their best there but) or if it is my mood but like hearing a combination of both voices (high pitched Italian and high pitched scratchy voice) talking and I'm just like...yeah no I prefer Keegan Michael Key Toad and a Mario not as close to his game voice for a movie length picture.

This Martinet impressionist also shows Mario can still speak softly "what is this place?" and the voice doesn't always have to sound excited.

These fans have recognisable talent, and their video makes for a fun what-if experiment, but I'd never seriously argue this direction fits in a movie. Especially when it comes to Toad. Fully agreeing with Ray Trace on this one.

There are two reasons I can think of for why fans want the original voice actors so badly: 1) inherent inability to accept change, and 2) they're not fond of celebrity casting. Neither of which are particularly sound reasons.

Though, I concede Mario's French voice actor lends a wonderful performance, one certainly better than Pratt's--not due to the inane, perceived obligation of having the character sound like "muh squeaky Charles Martinet tenor" as much as for the fact that it's hearty, in line with the film's up-beat atmosphere, while still sounding natural, like an uncle who's popular with his nephews and nieces.

So…I'm guessing that the other four Mario voice actors didn't get interviewed like Charles Martinet did. That's why no one's answering me.

So…I'm guessing that the other four Mario voice actors didn't get interviewed like Charles Martinet did. That's why no one's answering me.
I think they felt they didn't need to speak for Martinet when he already said that

These fans have recognisable talent, and their video makes for a fun what-if experiment, but I'd never seriously argue this direction fits in a movie. Especially when it comes to Toad. Fully agreeing with Ray Trace on this one.

There are two reasons I can think of for why fans want the original voice actors so badly: 1) inherent inability to accept change, and 2) they're not fond of celebrity casting. Neither of which are particularly sound reasons.

Though, I concede Mario's French voice actor lends a wonderful performance, one certainly better than Pratt's--not due to the inane, perceived obligation of having the character sound like "muh squeaky Charles Martinet tenor" as much as for the fact that it's hearty, in line with the film's up-beat atmosphere, while still sounding natural, like an uncle who's popular with his nephews and nieces.

I totally agree about Toad's constant yelling, it can be too much! However, with Mario's voice range able to reach a soft pitch for somber/serious scenes, cut back on the "yahoos", while still keeping the voice, I think it can be done. Cartoony voices are fitting for a cartoon movie, no? The issue wouldn't be the cartooniness for a cartoon movie, but the vocal range of emotion from serious to silly I'd imagine. For instance Disney's Goofy has a cartoony voice, but can still perform a wide range of emotions from sad scenes, to angry scenes, to silly excited scenes.

Resistance to change isn't completely without sound reason, as change for the sake of change isn't necessarily good. A good change could be an Italian American actor like Danny DeVito being cast to do an Italian American close-to-NYC accent for Mario, it's a change that sounds very different, but still faithful to Mario's origins. A bad change could be casting Clint Eastwood, who is so old now he would just sound like an old man.

Change is a balance, bring in some new for excitement, but hold on to enough of the old so the identity isn't lost making the adaptation entirely pointless. If people are concerned as they feel Chris Pratt's performance isn't preserving enough of the old (Italian American Plumber roots, can be anywhere from Martinet-style to a New Yorker) I think that's fair.

Wariness of celerity casting has grounds too, not because there aren't any compatible celebrities, but because the process of celebrity casting doesn't usually target compatibility. It's not uncommon for movies to pick celebrities to increase sales off of name recognition, over merit for the role. I won't make any accusations here, Chris Pratt could turn out amazing in the final version for all we know, but the precedence for skepticism stands.

Last edited:
I can't help but get this nagging feeling that people are trying to get me to cancel plans to see this movie.

One reason I like the slightly different interpretation of the movie vs just being a 1:1 recreation of the games is that it gives it some of its own identity and variety and it makes it stand out. It's pretty much the opposite of taking it in a completely safe direction and I think the movie strikes a nice balance between familiar and different. The main reason however that people don't like Chris Pratt is mostly because he doesn't really have good range, you can clearly tell the voice is him in the trailer and it's extremely distracting, especially juxtaposed with the other voice actors who lend a distinct flair for their voices. I'd still prefer Pratt over Charles Martinet being Mario, though, since the movie is also trying to be its own identity.

I can't help but get this nagging feeling that people are trying to get me to cancel plans to see this movie.
No need, look at the information and decide for yourself, anyone trying to be forceful either way shouldn't have your attention

I think Pratt's take works for the every man goal this movie seems to have but still, I don't like people outright dismissing Charles' talents, you don't get to be a voice actor that long if you can't act with your voice

Also, regarding Pratt's bad actions, I unfortunately don't think there is any big name screen actor without skeletons in the closet, it's going take a lot of people and a lot of effort to clean up the industry as much as it can

No need, look at the information and decide for yourself, anyone trying to be forceful either way shouldn't have your attention

I think Pratt's take works for the every man goal this movie seems to have but still, I don't like people outright dismissing Charles' talents, you don't get to be a voice actor that long if you can't act with your voice

Also, regarding Pratt's bad actions, I unfortunately don't think there is any big name screen actor without skeletons in the closet, it's going take a lot of people and a lot of effort to clean up the industry as much as it can
His voice sounds good to me. And I generally don't care about what goes on behind the scenes anyway. Staying off of TV Tropes helped with my mental health too.

Last edited:
I'm really intrigued by the premise.

Mario not recognizing the Mushroom Kingdom makes me wonder if they're going with the "Mario and Luigi are from Brooklyn" (or at least New Donk City) story, rather than the Yoshi's Island premise where he was born and raised in the Mushroom Kingdom.

Either way, I'm into it so far! I've always preferred to think of Mario and Luigi as two regular guys who stumbled into becoming heroes, rather than them saving the kingdom since they were literal babies.

Right now I'm hoping the teaser will show at the next movie I see in a theater. Maybe with Black Panther: Wakanda Forever.

Back