The Bird With Batrachotoxin
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Hooded Pitohui
Sickeningly saccharine? Perhaps so, but I still thought this thread a good idea. I figured we could have a thread where we reminisce on some positive moments, where something or someone really made us feel welcomed into the community here at the Super Mario Wiki and Super Mario Boards and we deepened the roots we have put down around here. Plus, maybe reading some of the stories here and reminiscing on our own experiences will serve as inspiration for us to reach out to others, to try and bring other folks into the fold and make them feel welcome around here.

As for myself, well... oy, I could be here all day if I stopped to think through and write out every time something has happened that made me think "wow, I really am a part of this community and I feel comfortable here and enjoy the time I spend here." I mean, besides the small, everyday things like getting a question in my ask thread, or having a good chat with someone I've met around here, there's a couple of things that stand out.

There's the early interactions, of course, which are always going to have an outsized influence. Talking to folks like Rose and Perch, two of my closest friends in the community, early on, having casual conversations, having them encourage me to join in some projects, that kind of stuff went a long way in making me want to contribute more (more than I already did, at least). Simple little things like Perch eagerly sharing old 'Shroom stories and memories of the community with me did a ton to make me feel comfortable here.

And I should mention my experiences on the 9th Poll Committee, under TPG and Rose, and on the Awards Committee, with Anton and Turboo at the helm. I can remember joining both of those projects for the first time, and not being entirely sure what to expect. I had some idea of what I was getting into, but I wasn't sure how it would all feel. I quickly found a place and rhythm on both. They did a good job of making you feel like you were really part of a team, working with other people, having your ideas listened to. Your contributions to those projects matter. And of course The 'Shroom has had its own big role to play in that regard. Talking to folks about sections I wrote, getting into the staff and having Perch, MK, LTQ, those folks help me and get me settled into the position, working with them on projects, I mean, I planned to stay anyways, but it's that kind of thing that has ensured you all won't be rid of my anytime soon.

And even today, I appreciate those interactions! You know, whether I'm sharing a new 'Shroom idea with Shoey, working alongside NS and LTQ to do something new with the paper, chatting with folks who want to come to me and talk about matters casual or serious, playing off of Waluigi Time and seeing him come into his own in this community, seeing BLOF's section come together each month, seeing winstein contribute his unique ideas on the Poll Committee, or doing something like working with Magolor on some technical aspect of his section, there's tons of small moments which endear me to this community and make me want to see it continue to grow and thrive so that other folks can have these experiences, too.

When I cleaned up my act in roleplaying, I felt like a part of the community.

I'm online usually everyday, so I get to talk to people such as: LJS, MiracleDinner, LGM, and BLoF.

They are great users who are friendly and welcoming to the community. 🥰

Last edited:
I havn't been here for too long, and problably woudn't be here at all if it wern't for the fact that for once I wanted to participate in a `Shroomfest.
Toadette is pretty much the main user I connect to RP.
Goombuigi is a fun guy (Get it?).
MightyMario and Zipper are pretty cool to.
And finally, I'm suprised I havn't been banned from the boards yet.

Last edited:
Pretty much constantly since I've joined the Boards, to be honest? Pretty weird to say I was on the wiki for almost a decade and didn't really feel like I was part of the community, but makes sense I guess when it's not that much of a social place. Aside from bothering BLOF and LGM with Warios, most of the interaction I had with anyone else was during proposals or talk page discussions, so it was mostly just business for the most part.

Anyway it's been great being here, meeting new people, getting to know some of the users I've already interacted with better, participating in Mafia, and reading The 'Shroom again and getting inspired to start writing my own section (soon to be two). I've made a lot of great friends and I really feel like I have a place here, a big thanks to everyone who's contributed to that, especially to the administration team who decided I had what it takes to be a patroller and getting me here in the first place!

The time I had the ability to remove exclamation marks that I couldn't see.

The times I wrote on mushrooms. I wrote about artistic mushrooms, genetically-modified mushrooms, and 3D models of mushrooms.

The time where I almost broke down smearing paint all over a digital canvas for a bunch of percents (and did not vote for Hammer Bros.)

The time where I was another name on a Wiki Contributor poll.

The time I was part of a pole community. We had nice poles.

The time where I was assigned to be the janitor of a car wash bathroom.

The time I finally felt validated on MarioWiki after 10+ years of editing it where I was also rewarded a mop.

The time my comedian got murdered by a bunch of wolves.

i usually feel most welcome here when i participate in events and such. when i first joined i think i remember feeling a little alien here but as i changed over the past few years, i've been feeling more and more welcome

Now let's see...

The first time was when I made my very first thread in the Mario Boards, which was about Mario art styles. I actually had a few threads ready that I wanted to post, but held off until I decided to bite the bullet. I am glad that I picked the right topic to start off with because it was generally receptive with many people posting, one of which is LeftyGreenMario (who I identified as Ornithologist Mario before even that thread's publish date, due to the funny title). I thought it was a great start.

The next time was when I participated in the Awards Ceremony competition for Mario Kart 8, because it gives me a chance to play against people who are not randomly matched up people. Naturally I did badly but it was a nice thing to do. I participated in a few more Mario Kart competitions after that, too.

I joined Discord about 2 years ago, and I think it's a good way to engage with people in real time because of the nature of a chat room. Some people weren't courteous, but I sensed that there was a huge degree of support that made me felt welcomed overall. Thankfully the staff made the chat rooms a generally pleasant place to hang out by dealing with those who have a tendency to belittle others, which goes a long way.

And then there is a time when I started participating in the community in a more contributive way. The first of these is to write an article for the 'Shroom, which I have never done prior as I didn't have much interest in it, but I started writing monthly articles about comic strips and so I decided to check out others' sections a bit more (Trivia: I still haven't used my sample article in my section). Joining the poll committee, which is basically a springboard from a thread I used to make about gauging popular opinions, did give me a sense of importance within the community.

Another is the contribution to the Mario Wiki, where I mainly writes about Dr. Mario World since I was hooked to that game so I took it as an opportunity to contribute to it since the more popular games already have willing contributors yet this game notably lacked coverage even though it is a constantly updating game as is the nature of a mobile game. I was apprehensive about starting it because there was already someone who volunteered to contribute, but that person had long since lost the drive to do more. Since there were very few people writing about that game (as opposed to the more complete and up-to-date coverage of Mario Kart Tour), there are still gaps in that game's coverage.

Thank you for reading.

Back