Favourite Official Art Style

winstein

Justice is not limited, it is a universal quality
Awards Committee
MarioWiki
winstein
Mario, being a video game character that is currently 34 years old (remember he starts from Donkey Kong the arcade game!), had been exposed to various types of art styles that are ever-changing with the times. This means that he had gathered quite a lot of art styles that, while distinct from each other, defines Mario very well. Here, I will do my best to categorise all art styles to cover as many categories as possible.

640px-Donkeykongflier.jpg

1) Retro art style - This one is kind of a stretch, since there are lots of different interpretations on how Mario and Donkey Kong looked like. The most dominant Mario art style gives it a retro cartoon look reminiscent to something you see in Popeye or Betty Boop, though there are some extreme examples as well, with Atari intepreting Mario as a macho person and Donkey Kong as a ferocious gorilla in the CBS Electronics box art. It should be noted that Mario had a bald top back then. The Japanese style is different for Donkey Kong, though Mario Bros. appear to be the same between the East and the West. Mario is drawn in a very simplistic look, showing his basic features and short stature (shorter than all the art styles below). Lines are thick and colouring is lacking shading, which is why is looked simple compared to later games. This retro Mario art style is appealing in a retro way, showing Mario when he started.

640px-Super-mario-kart.jpg

2) Hand-Drawn Art style - This art style is notably used ever since Super Mario Bros. in Japan, and extending its way to SNES, GB, GBC and GBA. Mario now has natural shading, and his features are set as a foundation for later series (save for the colour of his overalls and shirt, which will change in a few games). Not all characters in the earlier games are modelled as they are now, such as Mario being stubby and having shorter legs, but that is changed later on. Sometimes, the shading is not there, instead just showing the characters with a bit of thick line and flat colours, meaning only the art style remains.

360px-SMBSS%21Vol._2.jpg

3) DIC Mario Cartoon Art style - As its name suggests, this art style is used in Mario cartoons, specifically Super Mario Bros. Super Show, Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World. This style seemed like it is very Western in nature, being that is styled by them. For example, Mario and Luigi's eyes look like pies with a slice cut off, and Princess (as they called her here) is red-haired. King Koopa looks drastically different in this version, even! This art style qualifies here because there are official art with these characters on some video box arts, so in essence, Hotel Mario's cutscenes don't count as an official art style because there are no official depictions of characters as shown there (besides, the box art uses the "Hand-Drawn Art style".

333px-Beautybeach.jpg

4) Valiant Mario Art Style - The Mario comics released by Valiant have a style that gives it a western comic book flavour, in a different way from the DIC cartoons. Characters and scenery are given a more realistic depiction while retaining the cartoony style Mario is known for.

SMK47.jpg

5) Manga Mario Art Style (Mainly Super Mario-Kun) - This art style is mainly used in the Mario manga. There are different Mario manga throughout, but Super Mario-Kun takes priority when talking about this style, mainly due to its long-running history. The character's models are very different from the official counterpart, where everyone is deformed and have a more expressive mouth. In Super Mario-Kun's case, the eyes of most characters are close to each other.

DNDG_CN4.jpg
Super-Mario-Adventures.jpg

6) Club Nintendo/Nintendo Power Mario Comics Art Style - Used during Nintendo Power's Super Mario Adventures comics, this style is sort of a fusion between the expressiveness of the manga style and the colourful cartoony western style. The art style in Club Nintendo's comics are more western-flavoured, but I put it together here because its zaniness is comparable to the expressiveness of Super Mario Adventures. Both are also comics for Nintendo's official magazines, anothing thing common between them.

640px-Mp3cast.png

7) Silicon Art Style - Most notably used in the Donkey Kong Country games of old and the N64 games. This style is mainly used to signify the character's jump to 3D, or in Donkey Kong's case, pre-rendered graphics. It has primitive shading that make the characters look shiny in places that shouldn't be (like the moustaches), probably because of the silicon graphics used during that era. If looking at these now, perhaps one might feel that they look uncanny compared to present portrayals.

640px-Stork_and_Babies_Artwork_-_Yoshi%27s_New_Island.png

8) Yoshi Art Style - Used in the Yoshi series ever since Yoshi's Island (or Super Mario World 2 if you are so inclined to call it that), save for Yoshi's Story (which used the Silicon Art style). With its more crudely drawn lines and crayons and pastels as a basis for colouring, it has a very child-friendly look in its atmosphere.

640px-PMSS_-_Mario_Hammer_Goomba_Artwork.png

9) Paper Mario Art Style - Used in the Paper Mario games, Mario has a lot of features simplified. For one, Mario's eyes are black dots. Unlike most art styles here, Paper Mario's aesthetics evolve overtime. From the mixture of hand-drawn and paper to a more paper-like look with fragmented parts (sometimes with a paper model look) to a more realistic paper look, this style has charm that (Paper) Mario fans adore.

640px-SM3DL_Art_trans.png

10) CG Mario Art Style - This is the most prevalent art style. It is first used during the Gamecube era starting with Luigi's Mansion and extending its way to the Wii, DS and certain 3DS games. Even the New Super Mario Bros. series used this style. This style could sometimes have rim lighting added as well, as seen in the Super Mario Galaxy series and Mario Party 9. Because it portrays the character models well as well as being easily recyclable as models (I guess), it's used a lot.

502px-Mario_Luigi_Starlow_Group_-_Mario_%26_Luigi_Dream_Team.png

11) Mario and Luigi Art Style - Used in, you guessed it, the Mario and Luigi games. It has a hand-drawn look that is distinct within this series, with what looks like it's been coloured with water colours. It sets the tone of the series, which is the humorous side with a sense of epicness in the adventure.

MarioWiiU-300x291.gif

12) Clean Digital Art Style - Notably used in the Mario vs. Donkey Kong series, WarioWare series, as well as modern depictions of Mario drawn in 2D. The style is similar to the "Hand-Drawn Art style" in that the characters are organic, but they are digitally drawn instead of hand-drawn, creating a cleaner look with flat colours and clearer shading.

561px-Mario_MK8.png

13) High-Definition Art Style - This is the most recent Mario art style, to showcase Mario in High-Definition (HD). It is most notably used in the Wii U Mario games starting from Super Mario 3D World. Here, Mario is more detailed than ever, showing more subtleties in lighting and detail, having textures on the surfaces as well as a more detailed M-emblem (you can see the stitches now), among others. It may not be realistic to some, but the clean art style makes it distinct from other games, and is quite pleasing to look at. Some 3DS games might have the subtle shading as well, though not some of the details, as seen in Mario Golf: World Tour and Mario Party: Island Tour. This extends to Donkey Kong too, whose fur is as impressively detailed in the official art of Tropical Freeze.

411px-MarioStrikers1j.jpg

14) Mario Strikers Art Style - Obviously, this art style is used in the Mario Strikers series. This series is generally known to be rougher than the usual Mario fare, hence the rougher outlines for its official artwork. Not only is it portrayed as a rougher alternative, it also shows vibrant energy in its characters, through its lines and colours. Combining the hand-drawn and vibrant look, it gives Mario Strikers a vibe of excitement. (This category is added on 8th April 2015)

These are the 10+ categories of art styles I know of. Maybe there are more that I didn't know of, but it should be all of them for now. So, which of these are your favourite?

Thanks for reading.

1. Meh, they didn't have a clear vision then.

2. Yes!

3. Neh.

4. Neh.

5. It has its charm.

6. Those are a bit different, but they're both good.

7. It's clearly a product of its time, but it's in my mind forever.

8. Yes!

9. Yes!

10. Yes.

11. Yes!

12. Yes!

13. Yes!

Oh, the Yes! ones are the ones I like the most, followed by the CG and Silicon art styles.

I like all of them except the first one.

Any 3D art is still my go-to art though.

Mostly comments on Mario's art style over the years.

1) Retro art style
It's pretty bleh. Mario looks kind of cute during the Mario Bros. time, but I grew up beyond Super Mario 64 so these look alien to me.

2) Hand-Drawn Art style
You need to mention the length of Mario himself, mainly his legs. He started out pretty stubby, but around Super Mario 64, he has a bit more realistic proportions. The good thing about this Mario is that it gave rise to the familiar Mario, but I like his more realistic proportions more. But, hey, this Mario is cute, and that's what counts for me.

3) DIC Mario Cartoon Art style
Mario looks especially chunky, so not a big fan of that. He still looks like himself, though, and if he had Charles Martinet's voice, I totally don't mind it. The Hotel Mario incarnation is beyond awful, though. Everything about that one is wrong. Creepy, excessively fat, no white speck in the eye like it should be, scary voice, four fingers, nope.

4) Valiant Mario Art Style
I like it. I dig the western style, admittedly much more than anime style (and I draw it western-like anyway). The great thing about Mario is that he works in both anime and western. He shouldn't be as chunky, but otherwise, I have no qualms about this one.

5) Manga Mario Art Style (Mainly Super Mario-Kun)
Mario isn't really fat in the Super Mario-Kun, but he's more deformed, with a proportionally bigger head and shorter arms, even well into later eras. Anyway, I like this style. It's unique, to the very least. Mario also looks really adorable too, but so does every other character. I'd like to see a more to-the-games look of Mario in manga, but this is good, and I like grossly exaggerated, but still appealing Marios. I wish it was more like that.

6) Club Nintendo/Nintendo Power Mario Comics Art Style
This one is great, too. Mario definitely works as a blend too since he has both elements really (but I'd say he's leaning more to western). Anyway, this style captures Mario's expressions pretty well while retaining his appeal, so, again I like it.

7) Silicon Art style
I grew up with this style. It's laughably outdated today with its simplistic shapes and renders. That being said, Mario does have a different face. Somehow, for me, he seems cockier here than later after Luigi's Mansion. He's tanner, too. I miss this style, though, and it doesn't seem like it's going back.

8) Yoshi Art style
It's just meh. Not that impressive. Namely, there's no Mario art for me to comment on, but if there were, I'd say it'd be nothing withstanding.

9) Paper Mario Art style
Very meh for me. Just not very fond of this style.

10) CG Mario Art style
It's not bloom in the Galaxy; that's rim lighting. It's the standard art style, so nothing to complain about. In the Wii U times, though Mario looks a bit overeager. I think the eye rendering can be toned down a bit, that's probably just me.

11) Mario and Luigi Art style
It has personality, and Mario generally looks much more serious. I wish he had a mouth drawn in, though, since the lack of it doesn't really do it any favors.

12) Clean Digital Art style
This is great too. It's another common style that Mario uses. I slightly prefer Mario versus Donkey Kong over the stuff from 3D World probably because he conveys more serious emotions rather than the typical happy excited mouth open stuff.

13) High-Definition Art style
It's great to look at, but as I said earlier, the rendering on Mario's eyes needs to be toned down because he looks overeager. As if he's on drugs. Or, they can tone down on the happy face. Don't make him grin so widely or make his eyebrows so high.

winstein said:
These are the 10+ categories of art styles I know of. Maybe there are more that I didn't know of, but it should be all of them for now. So, which of these are your favourite?

Thanks for reading.
You missed the Strikers art style. One of my favorites, too, since it appears hand-drawn and very intense. Graphic imagery wouldn't look out of place there, lol.

Well, one of the pictures in your sig also suggest this...

My favourite style is the one commonly used for Mario games nowadays.

I am amazed that the Silicon art style has its share of fans! I think it's an evocative image because it looked different from anything before it, because as Lumastar said, it is a product of its time. The fact that it is kind of stuck in time made it quite memorable, I think.

Lakituthequick said:
8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13

Also this is probably more thought-out and accurate than the selection that entered the Mario Awards (A8 Favorite Art Direction).

Thank you for the compliment! What were the choices provided by the one in Mario Awards?

Mario Party Σ said:
3) DIC Mario Cartoon Art style
Mario looks especially chunky, so not a big fan of that. He still looks like himself, though, and if he had Charles Martinet's voice, I totally don't mind it. The Hotel Mario incarnation is beyond awful, though. Everything about that one is wrong. Creepy, excessively fat, no white speck in the eye like it should be, scary voice, four fingers, nope.

8) Yoshi Art style
It's just meh. Not that impressive. Namely, there's no Mario art for me to comment on, but if there were, I'd say it'd be nothing withstanding.

13) High-Definition Art style
It's great to look at, but as I said earlier, the rendering on Mario's eyes needs to be toned down because he looks overeager. As if he's on drugs. Or, they can tone down on the happy face. Don't make him grin so widely or make his eyebrows so high.

winstein said:

Thanks for reading.
You missed the Strikers art style. One of my favorites, too, since it appears hand-drawn and very intense. Graphic imagery wouldn't look out of place there, lol.

3) I don't mind Mario in the cartoons being voiced by Charles Martinet himself. I really love it when he voiced Mario like a regular person, because he's quite lively and fun to listen to. In fact, I love the Mario Press Conference and the video where Mario talks about the 3DS. When I saw one of the Youtube Poop videos where Mario was voiced over by a few sound clips from Mario FUNdamentals, I thought that it's a really nice touch, and accepting to the idea of the DiC cartoons Mario being voiced by him.

8) So you don't treat Baby Mario as Mario?

13) One thing I thought was strange when looking at Mario's art is his eyebrows, like as if they are not part of his face, so I agree with the eyebrows part. As for Mario's eyes, I feel that it's one of those styles that looks different enough to be distinct as to make some people unfamiliar with it. I am enamoured by the detail of Mario's eyes, so they look fine to me. I do not know if there are people who are creeped out by by Silicon Mario, but I imagine that there might be since that one might appear uncanny to some.

Alright, I've added the Strikers art style as one of the options.

Thanks for reading.

Magikrazy said:
Her thoughts on any Donkey Kong are less than positive.

If that's the case, I'll remove that question then.

Thanks for reading.

winstein said:
So you don't treat Baby Mario as Mario?

Yeah she doesn't. She thinks Baby Mario is a separate character from Mario.

You can thank me for making her think that.

...well actually, this whole baby bros being separate from adult stems from quite some time ago, approximately when double dash is released

Trying to figure out how the babies are there as well as the adults creates too many headaches so I generally don't think about such things.

winstein said:
Lakituthequick said:
Also this is probably more thought-out and accurate than the selection that entered the Mario Awards (A8 Favorite Art Direction).

Thank you for the compliment! What were the choices provided by the one in Mario Awards?
[url=https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DIuBdzVDXg75fA8_PQoKi7xKvYm5VDJQMSPgytGSSuQ/edit?pli=1]Full List[/url] said:
8. Favorite Art Direction (Yoshi's Island, Yoshi's Story, Super Mario Strikers, Paper Mario, Super Paper Mario, Super Mario RPG, Mario & Luigi, Donkey Kong Country, Super Mario Sunshine, Wario Land: Shake It, Yoshi's Wooly World, Super Mario Galaxy)

Lakituthequick said:
winstein said:
Lakituthequick said:
[url=https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DIuBdzVDXg75fA8_PQoKi7xKvYm5VDJQMSPgytGSSuQ/edit?pli=1]Full List[/url] said:
8. Favorite Art Direction (Yoshi's Island, Yoshi's Story, Super Mario Strikers, Paper Mario, Super Paper Mario, Super Mario RPG, Mario & Luigi, Donkey Kong Country, Super Mario Sunshine, Wario Land: Shake It, Yoshi's Wooly World, Super Mario Galaxy)
By the looks of it, that one took things like character and maybe even background design into account, not just art, but overall, yeah, this list is better (is it too late to change the options for this year? lol), although some options could be combined. Here is is in 10 groups.

2, 4, 6, 12) Hand-drawn/comicsX2/digital-art - These are all pretty much the same (and the anime movies/OVAs and WL:SI! cell animation are in the same boat), and what I grew up with: this is how I picture Mario. Plus, 2D drawings in general are my favourite style of art, whether it's artwork, the games themselves (sprites > models imho), movies, shows, or whatever.

7) Silicon - 2D art doesn't always translate to 3D designs but this series made the jump well (the early in-game models were a bit wonky, but the art was good)
10, 13) CG/Hi-def - The jump to CG (at either def) from silicon was an improvement in-game and out, although I wasn't a fan of the luminescent SMG art and still prefer 2D in general.

1) Retro - Too different from the "standard" designs that came after.
3) DIC - Too different.
5) Manga - Interesting and fun in its own way, but still too different.
8) Yoshi - Unique, but not too different from the standard 2D character designs.
9) Paper Mario - Very different, but it's not trying to be accurate to the standard designs, and it's often very innovative; I like it.
11) M&L - Like Yoshi art, it's unique bit not too different, and I actually like it better (except DT's luminescence: like SMG, it seems hokey)
14) Strikers - Again, it sticks to the standard 2D designs but puts the most radical spin on them (imo) and is one of my faves - largely because my own drawing style is the same sort of heavy, sketchy outlines, so I'm naturally a fan of it.

winstein said:
3) I don't mind Mario in the cartoons being voiced by Charles Martinet himself. I really love it when he voiced Mario like a regular person, because he's quite lively and fun to listen to. In fact, I love the Mario Press Conference and the video where Mario talks about the 3DS. When I saw one of the Youtube Poop videos where Mario was voiced over by a few sound clips from Mario FUNdamentals, I thought that it's a really nice touch, and accepting to the idea of the DiC cartoons Mario being voiced by him.
The Press Conference is good, but the best Mario ones are the unscripted voices when Charles Marinet hides behind a screen. I know, his Italian accent mostly disappears, but his voice sounds much more natural. My favorites would be his impression on a scene from Star Wars. Charles Martinet dubbing Mario in the DiC cartoons would be golden. Charles Martinet did a take on the "All toasters toast toast", so he so should do that on the Mario cartoons. :)

winstein said:
He looks way too different for me. I really like Baby Mario, but not as much as his adult incarnation.

winstein said:
13) One thing I thought was strange when looking at Mario's art is his eyebrows, like as if they are not part of his face, so I agree with the eyebrows part. As for Mario's eyes, I feel that it's one of those styles that looks different enough to be distinct as to make some people unfamiliar with it. I am enamoured by the detail of Mario's eyes, so they look fine to me. I do not know if there are people who are creeped out by by Silicon Mario, but I imagine that there might be since that one might appear uncanny to some.
I like the amount of detail, but I think the eyes are just a tad too glassy. I'm not a expert renderer, but geez, how much glaze can you fit in that eye? Not even the most game-faithful S.H. Figuarts or the First4Figures Mario has this much glassiness.

Silicon Mario looks more badass than the recent ones, I'll give you that.

I feel like I'm the only one who actually prefers the 3D renders more than the hand-drawn, but the hand drawn nevertheless is refreshing to look at. Perhaps because I major in 3D modeling.

Mario Party Σ said:
winstein said:
The Press Conference is good, but the best Mario ones are the unscripted voices when Charles Marinet hides behind a screen. I know, his Italian accent mostly disappears, but his voice sounds much more natural. My favorites would be his impression on a scene from Star Wars. Charles Martinet dubbing Mario in the DiC cartoons would be golden. Charles Martinet did a take on the "All toasters toast toast", so he so should do that on the Mario cartoons. :)

winstein said:
He looks way too different for me. I really like Baby Mario, but not as much as his adult incarnation.

winstein said:
I like the amount of detail, but I think the eyes are just a tad too glassy. I'm not a expert renderer, but geez, how much glaze can you fit in that eye? Not even the most game-faithful S.H. Figuarts or the First4Figures Mario has this much glassiness.

Silicon Mario looks more badass than the recent ones, I'll give you that.

I feel like I'm the only one who actually prefers the 3D renders more than the hand-drawn, but the hand drawn nevertheless is refreshing to look at. Perhaps because I major in 3D modeling.

Do you have a video of that?

Back