Mushroom Kingdom Smackdown

And we resume normal operations once more! Input for Issue 195 is now open until June 3rd. No theme, anything goes!

If you'd prefer not to nominate a fighter, you can vote for one of these by leaving a reaction on this post. Making full posts in support of one of these candidates is also welcome and will increase their chances!
  • Gooper Blooper - He's a Blooper, and he's... gooper! He gets ink everywhere! He interferes with your sporting events! It's one of the closest things the Mario franchise has to the kraken, so there's that going for him. If you'd like to see Gooper Blooper in the next match, react with Wow (😮).
  • Monstar - Ooh, very scary! This horrendous beast protects the residents of Starborn Valley all who would dare enter. STAR STORM!!! If you'd like to see Monstar in the next match, react with Thinking (🤔).
  • Penguin King - The ruler of the birds of the antarctic brings an army of penguins and a flurry of frozen water! Do you yield? If you'd like to see Penguin King in the next match, react with Angry (😠).

I do have an announcement to share this month: we're approaching the end of Mushroom Kingdom Smackdown. I've been writing this section for over two years now, and I'm just not enjoying it as much as I used to. Between that and the low engagement this thread has been getting over the past several months, I've decided it's probably a good time to end it. But I think this section deserves to go out with a bang, don't you? We've still got a few issues to go before the end, so let's make them count!

MEANWHILE DEEP WITHIN A SECRET UNDERGROUND LAB THAT MANICAL SCHEMER DR. PHINEAS J. SHOE AND HIS STARTLED ASSISTANT ROSE FIND THAT A GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY HAS FALLEN INTO THEIR LAPS.

WE PAN IN DEEP UNDERGROUND WHERE DR. PHINEAS J. SHOE SCHEMES HIS MOST DANGEROUS SCHEME YET.

"Sir are you sure about this" Rose asks staring at a scroll.

"Am I sure of? Of course i'm sure. This scroll clearly shows the location of the ultimate Tool the perfect tool to conquer the Mushroom Kingdom Smackdown." Phineas exclaims.

"But sir how will we get there? According to this scroll we have to cross dimensions." a concerned Rose says.

"Do not worry about the details Rose let's just say a special source has revealed to me how to cross through the dimensions. Now quickly gather your things we must leave soon. Lest somebody gets the jump on us" Phineas says rolling up the scroll.

SUDDENLY THE EARTH BEGINS TO SHAKE

MarioFatePt4.png

MarioFatePt5.png

AS THE EARTH SHAKES SUDDENLY A HOLE OPENS IN THE CEILING DROPPING A BODY WEARING A FAMILAR RED HAT.

"What is that" exclaims a disgusted Phineas.

"Well boss it appears to be a Mario life." Rose says looking at the M hat.

"Looks like he'll have to start this level over heh" scoffs Phineas.

"What should we do with it boss?" Rose asks.

"Throw it away Rose we have work to do." Commands Phineas.

Rose goes to put the body in a wheelbarrow when suddenly Phineas yells "WAIT ROSE TAKE HIM TOO THE SMELTER HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA"

ONCE AT THE SMELTER PHINEAS BEGINS TO HEAT UP THE MOLTEN METAL.

"Boss what are you doing?" Asks rose staring at the disgusting act ahead of him

"Don't you what we have Rose? We have a Mario vessel an empty shell we can turn into the ultimate weapon. We can rebuild him he'll be Stronger, Heavier, and Shinier than ever. NOW ROSE SIT BACK AND WATCH AS I GREAT THE ULTIMATE LIFEFORM" Phineas screams pulling a lever sending the molten metal to cover the lifeless body below.

"NOW MY ULTIMATE CREATION WHAT IS YOUR NAME" Phineas screams at the cooling metal body before him.

"Boss I don't think this is how-" Rose starts to say as the body sits up horrifying Rose.

"I AM METAL MARIO" the metal man says.

"AND WHAT IS YOUR PURPOSE?" asks Phineas.

"TO WIN MUSHROOM KINGDOM SMACKDOWN" replies Metal Mario.

"YES YES DO YOU SEE ROSE THE PERFECT WARRIOR. WATCH OUT WALUIGI TIME WITH MY METAL MAN I WILL RULE MUSHROOM KINGDOM SMACKDOWN AHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA" Phineas cackles as Rose looks on in horror.

It's time for a face-off against the lord of all blasting matter, king of kabooms the world over! Who dares to battle the king and his glorious, oddly Pringles-esque mustache?
DMW-KingBobOmb.png

Input for Issue 196 is now open until July 1st! King Bob-omb will be one of the match's contestants, so plan your submission accordingly. Depending on the number and quality of submissions, accommodations may be made for multiple fighters.

The king of Bob-ombs deserves a king-sized bout. But why bring in the better-known kings like Bowser, King Boo or King Whomp when we can have some obscure kings enter the ring? Here's a quartet of monarchs for ya!

King Olly!
He possesses a wide array of abilities including folding himself into the Velumentals (watch out for that phoenix, KB!) and growing into a sumo... wrestler... thing (I legitimately have no idea what that was lol). On top of that, should he need to, he can grow massively and turn his arms into swords and other deadly weapons.
That would be a fight to rival Mario's!

Tiki Tong!
Uh... wait, he's technically a chief because he's in charge of a tribe... whatever. Same difference.
Tiki Tong! The chief of the Tiki Tak tribe! He's itching to drum on King Bob-omb but first has to pass applications (even villains do their paperwork). He can crush things with his massive hands, he can... crush things with his massive hands and he can... swipe at things with his... massive hands. He can also spit flaming Tikis from his face and is sturdy enough to slam himself into the ground many times over! On top of that, his banana-blending skull can probably generate more Tikis, provided he has bananas and empty masks.
Settle the score of whether a chief counts as a king or not!

King Kaliente!
The reigning king of Roctos is ready to rumble! While he may be confined to a pit of lava, he has amazing prowess at deflecting projectiles in an impromptu game of Hot Potato and can summon many Lava Bubbles to chase down his foes! He can even seemingly summon meteorites if it's the (black) variant and he gets particularly miffed. (Although an entirely fire-based boss would make for a very short fight against King Bob-omb.)
Feel the heat of a blazing boss battle against Bob-omb!

Mecha King Bob-omb!
Now THIS would be fascinating. Piloted by the deadly Kanya, this mech is capable of spawning innumerable Bob-ombs and has physical attacks such as spins and slams! It hurls globs of what appears to be Darkmess and it has a shield that's mighty indeed, only destroyed by Bob-ombs themselves (there would seem to be an bundance of those here.)
An explosive battle for the ages!

That's a lot of royalty and all of them are itching for a fight! Best pick a contender before they all decide to fight for the slot.

Or we could have a 'stache battle and bring in Chief Chilly. That's also an option lol.

Input for Issue 196 is now open until August 5th! That's a week longer than usual because there's no way I'll end up writing this that close to the Awards deadline lol

If you'd prefer not to nominate a fighter, you can vote for one of these by leaving a reaction on this post. Making full posts in support of one of these candidates is also welcome and will increase their chances!
  • Captain Syrup - The arch-nemesis of Wario brings robots, explosives, and a love for treasure to the ring! If you'd like to see Captain Syrup in the next match, react with Wow (😮).
  • Gooper Blooper - He's a Blooper, and he's... gooper! He gets ink everywhere! He interferes with your sporting events! It's one of the closest things the Mario franchise has to the kraken, so there's that going for him. If you'd like to see Gooper Blooper in the next match, react with Thinking (🤔).
  • R.O.B. - From NES accessory to kart racer to full-blown Smash fighter, the Robotic Operating Buddy has come a long way. With his whirling arms and powerful laser, there's a good chance that anyone who tries to face off against him won't Stack-Up. If you'd like to see R.O.B. in the next match, react with Angry (😠).

what no these aren't copied from earlier months, don't look back at the old posts you can just take my word for it

I'm honestly astounded that I basically predicted the majority of the match lol.
(Although... I would like to point out that, while the line of "no one can survive three bomb blasts" is clever, it isn't factually true. Stu from DKCR can take six, although I wouldn't have thought of that if I wasn't working on a cover atm lol, so thanks for the lyrical fuel lol!)

Say... how likely are we to get non-Mario characters into MKS? Tiki Tong just gave me an idea...

I'm honestly astounded that I basically predicted the majority of the match lol.
(Although... I would like to point out that, while the line of "no one can survive three bomb blasts" is clever, it isn't factually true. Stu from DKCR can take six, although I wouldn't have thought of that if I wasn't working on a cover atm lol, so thanks for the lyrical fuel lol!)

Say... how likely are we to get non-Mario characters into MKS? Tiki Tong just gave me an idea...
What makes you think it was prediction and not influence? :waluigi:

Funny you mention that, I actually thought about doing a whole aside about how weird it is that everyone seems to go down in three hits, except for "those DK Island guys", but it seemed like too much of a break in the action so I just decided to leave it there.

Non-Mario characters are a possibility (even though I've never actually done them lol), likelihood as always depends on nomination quality and the other nominees in terms of what might make an interesting match-up.

What makes you think it was prediction and not influence? :waluigi:

Funny you mention that, I actually thought about doing a whole aside about how weird it is that everyone seems to go down in three hits, except for "those DK Island guys", but it seemed like too much of a break in the action so I just decided to leave it there.

Non-Mario characters are a possibility (even though I've never actually done them lol), likelihood as always depends on nomination quality and the other nominees in terms of what might make an interesting match-up.
Hm, true lol.

And it worked, so.

Alright, I'm gonna drop two nominees later tonight or tomorrow….

Hello Waluigi Time!
I have a great idea for two competetors, I hope you like it! I have thought of facing Bouldergeist against the Ruined Dragon, which would be a fun matchup considering that one lives among ruins (that were probably ruined by him), while the other IS basically a ruin (but a posessed one). What do you think?

what do you mean it's been three weeks since the last issue already, where am i

also i wrote the wrong issue name in the opening post. whoops

Input for Issue 197 is now closed! We got several pretty good suggestions this month, so be sure to check out the issue and see who made it in!

One more for the road.

The final input for Smackdown, Issue 198, is now open until September 2nd! You know what they say, go big or home, so this month's theme is BIG! Big characters, that is. Not changes. There will be up to four characters in this match, so don't be shy about nominating!

• Brobot - Gotta get that giant robot demographic in somewhere, or at least giant robot head. It even comes piloted by a tiny Mr. L! (Note: Mr. L is not actually tiny, but he'll still be puny compared to everyone else here.) If you'd like to see Brobot in the next match, react with Wow (😮).
  • Fury Bowser - Throwing down every- wait, I might run into copyright problems if I sing that song. It's the Koopa King himself at his biggest (probably?) and maddest (definitely), who better to end things with? If you'd like to see Fury Bowser in the next match, react with Thinking (🤔).
  • T-Rex - What's bigger and more fearsome than a mighty dinosaur with comically tiny arms? If you'd like to see R.O.B. in the next match, react with Angry (😠).

Glitz Yoshi (Red).png
Glitz Yoshi: "Oh. I was already thinking about this before you mentioned that you want something big. And something big it is. After winning Favorite Boss Battle (that doesn't include Bowser boss fights), he is here to challenge the Mushroom Kingdom Smackdown. It is the one, the only..."
SMG_Megaleg_and_Moon_Model.png

Glitz Yoshi (Red).pngGlitz Yoshi: "MEGALEG!!! I made fun of him for being easy but I might be wrong. No matter what, Megaleg is trying to prove me wrong. So, let's get Megaleg into the arena."

Would now be a good time to release Vs. Digga-Leg with lyrics?

When I think "BIG" and "Mario," my thoughts typically go to a Mega Mushroom

So idk just give an unsuspecting passerby a Mega Mushroom or something (or maybe the Mega Mushroom fights?????).

HonioPitoki.png

Waluigi Time, my golden bran muffin side-dish, tell me it ain't so! Shuttering the place!? After all the good times we had! All the dough we rolled in! Word on the street was that this ring was going downhill, but you coulda told your ol' pal Honio you were in a fix!

Wuzzat? What am I doing here? Ain't it obvious! This whole ring-a-ding-ding's bleeding cash, so just call me "doc", 'cause I've got your cure right here! What you need is something big. A real spectacular to bring that razzle dazzle! You gotta show that crowd of yours a clash of the titans! A real crash between giants! You need a fight that'll make the crowd hear "two plants approach the roach limit"!

Au reservoir, my purple-padded pal, don't look at your ol' pal so confused! I read about that famous comp-ee-sition in one of those fancy-shmancy music books! Don't know if you know this, but that song gets its name from astronomology.

Now I know what you're thinking. "Honio, I've already got giant robots and lizards, what could be better than that?" That, my rabbit-maddener, is why I scout the fighters and you commentate. You're gonna wanna sit down for this one, 'cause I've got you...

Giant Luigi!

Now, listen. Between you and me, this ain't the real Luigi. I can't go giving away what we in the business call trade secrets, but let's just say a big birdy was happy to do a dirty job in a world of dreams when I put the right price on the table. You know it ain't the real Luigi. I know it ain't the real Luigi. But your crowds ain't got to know that. Bam! You tell the world one of the heroes of the Mushroom Kingdom is in the ring, and you got the best advertising draw you could want.

But it ain't all advertising with this fighter! Oh, no no no! This big guy can fight! He's got hammer smacks! He's got earth-quaking jumps! Defense, offense, he's got the full set of skills those plumbers use on their big trips! But that ain't even it! He's tailor-made for the ring with flashy special attacks! Let him go down on one of them big buckets of bolts stomping them like a drill! Let me pull out a soaring star for a big finishing move!

You can't lose going green! I can't lose if you go green! We'll be rolling in green if you go green! Take your ol' pal Honio's advice, and go out on top!

What? Don't know what you're talking about. All I got in my eyes is sweat. This ain't any favor or charity work - I didn't go spending cash 'cause I'd be Bob-omb mulch right now without you or anything.

What about we do a Bowser themed match and let Fury Bowser (who you recommended) battle against Bowser´s Castle from Bowser´s Inside Story. I mean, could there be a bigger competetant than a FORTRESS?!

Oh yeah, you could just as well let Bowser's Castle fight against Exor. This would be even more funny but I think I'd rather see fury bowser

MEANWHILE IN A SECRET HIDEOUT LOCATED DEEP DOWN IN THE DEPTHS OF SHROOM CITY THAT BLITHERING MAD MAN DR. PHINEAS J. SHOE AND HIS SUPERIOR ASSISTANT ROSE AND THEIR PET BLOOPER THE BLOUPER ARE ON THE CUSP OF THEIR MOST NEFARIOUS SCHEME YET!

"Roseeeeeeeee what is taking so long" Phineas pitifully cries out.

"Boss this official Waluigi Time Cotton Candy Maker Will only take a few more minutes" Rose tries to explain to the impatient doctor.

"Hurry up Rose I want my cotton candyyyyyyyyy" the doctor continues to whine.

Suddenly the machine dings and Rose pulls out a normal sized stick of Cotton Candy. Rose than hands the stick to the doctor who now looks displeased.

"That's it? That's all this machine makes? Two small sticks of Cotton Candy!" Phineas asks in a huff.

"Well it might have been bigger but I substituted the mayo and ketchup for Sugar and food coloring" Rose says taking a bite of his cotton candy.

Phineas throws his stick to the ground In a rage "WHAT A RIPOFF ROSE THE BOX SAYS IT WOULD CREATE A SWEET TREAT THAT'S FUN FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY! THIS WILL NOT DO! TO THE LAB ROSE" Phineas yells as he storms off.

Once in the lab Phineas quickly barks orders at Rose "We'll need a dryer, a mega mushroom, and a 12 volt Wheelchair motor" he barks out.

Gathering the stuff quickly rose than asks "Sir what are you going to do with all this stuff?"

Enraged over his assistant's foolish question Phineas screams out "ISN'T IT OBVIOUS ROSE? THAT WALUIGI TIME HE THINKS HE'S SO BIG WITH HIS MULTI MILLION DOLLAR FOOD EMPIRE AND HIS SUCCESSFUL LINE OF MERCHANDISE? WELL I'M TIRED OF IT. HE THINKS HE CAN RIP US OFF WITH HIS PITIFUL COTTON CANDY MACHINE? WELL I'M GOING TO MAKE COTTON CANDY SO LARGE IT'LL PUT WALUIGI TIME OUT OF BUSINESS FOREVER! NOW STAND BACK ROSE AND WATCH AS I DESTROY WALUIGI TIME ONCE AND FOR ALL."

Phineas then pulls a lever starting the dryer. With the extra power from the wheel chair motor the dryer begins to spin faster and faster. The room begins shaking rattling the entire structure of the room.

"IT'S SPINNING TO FAST SIR. THE ROOM CAN'T WITHSTAND THIS MUCH POWER. YOU'VE GOT TO SHUT IT OFF" Rose begs.

"NEVER" Screams Phineas defiantly "NOW STAND BACK ROSE AND FEAST YOUR EYES ON TRUE BRILLIANCE" Phineas says as he begins laughing manically.

Suddenly the dryer stops and out from it comes a piece of cotton candy nearly as tall as the ceiling.

"YES MY GENIUS WORKED NOW WALUIGI TIME WONT STANCE A CHAN-" Phineas begins to say when suddenly the Cotton Candy begins bouncing around then suddenly a face appears with in the sticky ball.

YS_Cloud_N_Candy_Artwork.png

" Slurpity-slurp. I'm so sweet, you can't lick me! Burrrp!" it says as Rose and Phineas look at each other in a mix of confusion and disgust.

"I-i-i don't think anyone is going to want to each living Cotton candy sir" Rose stammers out awkwardly.

"I think you might be right Rose" Phineas meekly says as the two stare at each other not really sure how to handle this situation as the living Cotton Candy continues jumping around.

WHEN SUDDENLY PHINEAS EXCITEDLY CALLS OUT. "WAIT A SECOND ROSE OF COURSE! IT WAS SO OBVIOUS! WE MIGHT NOT BE ABLE TO PUT WALUIGI TIME CEREAL OUT OF BUSINESS. BUT WE CAN USE THIS UNHOLY SWEET TO DESTROY ALL THE COMPETITION AT MUSHROOM KINGDOM SMACKDOWN CLAIMING THE PRIZE FOR OURSELVES. CORRAL THAT SWEET ROSE THIS TIME WE CAN'T FAIL.

Rose begins reluctantly attempting to subdue the jumping sweet as Phineas J. Shoe cackles manically.

Last edited:
Back