Goombuigi's Art Thread

Goombuigi

The Luigi-fied Goomba
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Goombuigi
Since 'Shroom Mafia 4 is finished, I figured I'd post all the portraits I did for Wright Forde 'Shroom and Goombuigi in the game.

Wright Forde 'Shroom was slightly redesigned, I replaced his white spots on his cap with colored ones, based on the colors of each of the 'Shroom teams. (I've never drawn the top spot, but it's pink based on Strategy Wing, and I didn't add any blue spots because WFS' whole cap is blue.)

Goombuigi

The Luigi-fied Goomba
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Goombuigi
Here's some behind-the-scenes insight into what went into my presentations, as well as some art related to them.

F4 - Worst Obstacle

This concept was the first one that I came up with. I've wanted to do a presentation using Super Mario Maker 2 for a while, and although I originally thought about using the concept for a different award, I figured that F4 would work better with it. I also originally planned on making one level, but many of the obstacles were limited to certain themes in SMM2 - wind was only in the night desert theme, Rotten Mushrooms in night grassland, lava in the castle theme, and so on. So, I decided to make a Super World instead, which allowed me to flesh out the presentation of this, well, presentation, a little more.

Adapting the obstacles themselves into levels wasn't too hard, since the only obstacles that weren't in the game already were the freezing water and Poison Mushrooms. For the freezing water, I used rising and sinking water in combination with spike blocks to represent it, since the player can only be in freezing water for a little while before they begin taking damage, then they have to go out before getting back in. As for Poison Mushrooms, I thought about using Rotten Mushrooms to represent them since they were fairly similar, but considering Rotten Mushrooms were already being involved at third place, I wanted to differentiate Poison Mushrooms a little more. So, I instead used Super Mushrooms, since their movesets are identical, and constructed a level around avoiding the Super Mushrooms.

C6 - Favorite 'Shroom Special Issue

This presentation changed quite a bit from my initial vision. Although the concept of traveling inside each of the 'Shroom issues to stop a virus was consistent from the start, I had to downscale the actual presentation from a written piece with visuals to just a written piece due to time constraints. I don't have much else to say for this one, to be honest.

M28 - Favorite Retro Game

This presentation was the one that changed the most. The concept I had for this one was completely different and would've been a comic using the styles of each of the Mario games featured, but once more due to time constraints I had to downscale this one, and instead this presentation became an animation.

Fun fact: I made complete spritesheets for each game (except Super Mario 64) before I ended up only using the walking sprites, so here they are.
Goombuigi #5 SMW2YI Spritesheet.png

Goombuigi 5 SMRPG Spritesheet.png

Goombuigi #4 SMB3 Spritesheet (1).png

Goombuigi #3 PM Spritesheet.png

Goombuigi #2 SMW Spritesheet (1).png

All of these are edited from the Goomba spritesheets from Spriters Resource, and their original links are here:
- Yoshi's Island Spritesheet
- Super Mario RPG Spritesheet
- Super Mario Bros. 3 Spritesheet
- Paper Mario Spritesheet
- Super Mario World Spritesheet

So overall, I feel pretty satisfied about how my presentations turned out. While I feel like they could've been way better, I did at least make them unique from my past presentations, which is a goal that I've had going into this year. I already have ideas for next year's presentations, so I look forward to making them happen!

Goombuigi

The Luigi-fied Goomba
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Goombuigi
Well, it's been a while. I've been rather demotivated to do art in recent months due to a variety of things, school mostly. But I've been on a big Mario kick recently, though, so I felt like making some things.

IMG_20221204_203030.jpg

Firstly, I made a couple of sprites from beads - the first is Mario in a Mercedes-Benz based on the sprite from Super Mario Maker, and the other is an emblem of Monty Mole.

Goombuigi Happy2_20221204202037.png

I also experimented with changing the outline of my character drawing from black to multicolored, and I think I like the look of this better. I'd like to change the outline for all of my character sprites, but with the sheer number of them that I've done, that sounds like a tedious task.

I'd also like to make something with clay again, since it's been a while and I do like making stuff with it, but I'm not sure what yet. Probably a character or an enemy.

Goombuigi

The Luigi-fied Goomba
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Goombuigi
Don't know if this counts as "art", but I made a new level in Super Mario Maker 2 called "Mario Saves Christmas". If you'd like to play it, the level code is CLN-94T-JWG.

On another note, I've been in a bit of an NES mood lately, so I've been working on some art based on those games. Here's one based on Donkey Kong, taking a lot of inspiration from the promotional artwork for the game.
DonkeyKong.png