Goombuigi's Art Thread

Goombuigi

The Adventurous Goomba
'Shroom Consultant
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Goombuigi
I like to get artistic sometimes, so I made this thread to share my Mario-themed artwork. I will showcase several forms of art - drawings, pixel art, origami, and polymer clay sculptures.

To start off, here's a drawing of Goombuigi.

IMG_20200528_172428.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a digital drawing of Bobby from Paper Mario: The Origami King.

Untitled32_20200805003941.png

I decided to experiment a bit with the style. This version is based off of the style of Bob-ombs from Paper Mario: Color Splash...
Untitled32_20200804211156.png

...and in this version, I tried to replicate the "rough" style from Paper Mario: The Origami King.

Here's the SNES clay controller.
IMG_20201205_135143.jpg
IMG_20201205_135248.jpg
IMG_20201205_135317.jpg
I thought about whether to make the American or PAL version of the controller. I thought about making both, but I didn't have enough white clay, so I made the different button schemes, and used sticky gum to attach them to the controller.

I may not be posting as much in here (mainly because of other things in my schedule, plus I have a project planned for Mar10 Day 2021), but in the meantime, I have something else to show. Back in October - November 2019, I had this "phase" where I used to make a lot of sprites from Mario games with perler beads. I made quite a few of them, so I'll show them all here:

I divided them into categories below:

Untitled154_20201218194258.png

Here are emblems of Mario characters, based on their design in Mario Kart Tour. I made these on a circular base, hence why I can't exactly make straight lines with them (such as in Waluigi's emblem).

Untitled155_20201218194323.png

Here are various characters that I made. They're based off of the Mystery Mushroom sprites from Super Mario Maker, though some have minor modifications (such as Luigi's face, which is based off the Mario Party 8 sprite).

Untitled156_20201218194427.png

From here, I based the Kart Mario sprite from the SMM costume, and for the others, I made them mostly from scratch, using their standard sprites and the Super Mario Kart sprites as a basis. Lazer, I made Luigi in the Poltergust 4000, and I originally planned to make other special karts. (Also, ignore that one dislocated bead on Yoshi, that was an error in ironing.)

Untitled158_20201218194520.png

Here are special versions of characters. They're all made from their SMM costume sprites (besides Builder Luigi, he's from Super Mario Maker 2). With Golden Mario, I had to adjust the color palette because I the beads that I had didn't have as many colors.

Untitled160_20201218194630.png

Here are some enemies from the Mario series. They are based off their Super Mario Bros. sprites, with the exception of Boo, who's from Super Mario Land 2 for some reason.

Untitled161_20201218194649.png

Here are various items and objects from the Mario series. Some of these are based from their modern appearances (such as the Super Bell), others are from sprites from older games.

Untitled159_20201218194602.png
Untitled162_20201218194821.png

The last category consists of Mario and Luigi's sprites from various games, specifically SMB, SMB3, SMM2, SMB2, M&L:SS, and SMO. Despite the fact that I had to reduce the color palette for the M&L sprites, I really like how they turned out.

It's been a while ... I still plan on making something for Mar10 Day, I just don't know what yet. While looking for inspiration, I stumbled upon something else I made back in 2019.

I was planning on making a Mario calendar, with a different picture and theme for each month. I planned a different game style for each month (January - Space, February - Snow, March - Grassland, April - Forest, May - Sky, June - Underwater, July - Beach, August - Desert, September - Airship, October - Ghost House, November - Underground, December - Castle), but only ended up completing two. Here they are:

Untitled202_20210307211743.png

Untitled203_20210307211808.png

I based these off of NSMB DS, Wii, and U screenshots, combining what I considered to be the most distinct, fitting, or unique enemies and landscapes for each style (such as the pyramid in August and the Jack-O'Goombas in October). Looking back, I'm quite proud of these, and I partially want to finish this long-abandoned project. The problem is, I remember starting on the other months, but can't remember where I put them.

Happy Mar10 Day! To celebrate, I have several things to show.

First, I made something out of clay. I wanted this to be my big project for Mar10 Day, and I wanted it to highlight the evolution of the Mario series. I decided to make one power-up/item from every mainline Super Mario game, since I noticed that most of them highlight or focus on a specific power-up or item (such as the Super Leaf in Super Mario Bros. 3, or the Super Hammer in Super Mario Maker 2). Unfortunately, I only made 10 of them by today. I still plan on making the rest, hopefully by this weekend. Here are the ones that I've made so far:
IMG_20210310_191208.jpg
IMG_20210310_191343.jpg

Second, I made a remix of the File Select theme from Super Mario 64. It's my first Mario remix, and I'm thinking about doing more of them in the future. I uploaded it onto YouTube, here's the link.

Lastly, here's something I made for last year's Mar10 Day, before I joined the Boards. This was during a time when I into sprite making a lot (I was mostly doing recolors, which was actually what inspired me to make the character of Goombuigi).
Happy Mar10 Day 2.png

(And before you ask why I didn't include anything past 1996, it's because due the size of the sprites from games like Super Mario Sunshine and Super Mario Galaxy, they wouldn't be able to fit in the picture.)

Today I continued my quest to make a power-up/item from every Super Mario game, and I made six more today!

I'm especially proud of Cappy, because I had to make five layers for the eyes, and since I worked at a small scale, I was surprised how well he turned out.

IMG_20210311_212600.jpg

IMG_20210311_213027.jpg

I finally completed all of the power-ups and items! Here are the remaining six.
IMG_20210314_173203.jpg

Out of all of them, FLUDD was definitely the hardest to make. Whereas the others took 20-30 minutes to make, FLUDD took about an hour, due to the sheer amount of detail he has.
IMG_20210314_173230.jpg

Here is the full lineup - one power-up or item from each mainline Mario game, from Super Mario Bros. up to Super Mario Maker 2. For most of these, I used their modern 3D designs, but for the Superball Flower and the Mystery Mushroom, I made 3D models of the 2D sprites.
IMG_20210314_173555.jpg

Super Mushroom (Super Mario Bros.)
Fire Flower (Super Mario Bros.)
Poison Mushroom (Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels)
Turnip (Super Mario Bros. 2)
Superball Flower (Super Mario Land)
Super Leaf (Super Mario Bros. 3)
Cape Feather (Super Mario World)
Super Carrot (Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins)
Wing Cap (Super Mario 64)
FLUDD (Super Mario Sunshine)
Mini Mushroom (New Super Mario Bros.)
Bee Mushroom (Super Mario Galaxy)
Propeller Mushroom (New Super Mario Bros. Wii)
Cloud Flower (Super Mario Galaxy 2)
Boomerang Flower (Super Mario 3D Land)
Gold Flower (New Super Mario Bros. 2)
Super Acorn (New Super Mario Bros. U)
Super Bell (Super Mario 3D World)
Mystery Mushroom (Super Mario Maker)
Coin Rush Star (Super Mario Run)
Cappy (Super Mario Odyssey)
Super Hammer (Super Mario Maker 2)

Here's a new drawing of me. I tried to make this one as polished as possible, so that 1. I could potentially use it as an avatar, and 2. so that I could use it as a reference point for whatever I need to.
Untitled219_20210416231207.png

Here's another drawing I made. I've been thinking about my OC design a bit lately, especially since it isn't very creative, and I came up with it and did the sprite in about 5 minutes. While I do like my OC as a parallel to Goombario, I was thinking about how I would design him if I didn't restrict myself to him being a recolor of Goombario, so I decided to try this experiment with him. I allowed myself to use more creativity and try to make a more unique avatar. To make this clear, I'm not intending for this design to replace my current one, but rather to be an alternative, experimental design.
Untitled220_20210417003304.png

I might adjust or add a few things later, but for now, I added a "G" on the cap, gave him the socks that Luigi has in Superstar Saga artwork, green eyes, and a Luigi medal-thing. I think this design is a lot more lively, but at the same time, I think I prefer the simplicity of my standard design.

I finally completed all of the power-ups and items! Here are the remaining six.
View attachment 10426

Out of all of them, FLUDD was definitely the hardest to make. Whereas the others took 20-30 minutes to make, FLUDD took about an hour, due to the sheer amount of detail he has.
View attachment 10427

Here is the full lineup - one power-up or item from each mainline Mario game, from Super Mario Bros. up to Super Mario Maker 2. For most of these, I used their modern 3D designs, but for the Superball Flower and the Mystery Mushroom, I made 3D models of the 2D sprites.
View attachment 10424
Super Mushroom (Super Mario Bros.)
Fire Flower (Super Mario Bros.)
Poison Mushroom (Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels)
Turnip (Super Mario Bros. 2)
Superball Flower (Super Mario Land)
Super Leaf (Super Mario Bros. 3)
Cape Feather (Super Mario World)
Super Carrot (Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins)
Wing Cap (Super Mario 64)
FLUDD (Super Mario Sunshine)
Mini Mushroom (New Super Mario Bros.)
Bee Mushroom (Super Mario Galaxy)
Propeller Mushroom (New Super Mario Bros. Wii)
Cloud Flower (Super Mario Galaxy 2)
Boomerang Flower (Super Mario 3D Land)
Gold Flower (New Super Mario Bros. 2)
Super Acorn (New Super Mario Bros. U)
Super Bell (Super Mario 3D World)
Mystery Mushroom (Super Mario Maker)
Coin Rush Star (Super Mario Run)
Cappy (Super Mario Odyssey)
Super Hammer (Super Mario Maker 2)
Man that F.L.U.D.D looks right out of Kirby and the Rainbow Curse Mario edition

Now that school is over for me, I have more time to do art! Unfortunately, I haven't made much of it as of late (due to the fact that I'm running out of certain colors of clay, I'll need to restock them before I can make more clay stuff), but I do have some other things that I'd like to show in the meantime.

Firstly, in Issue 171 of the 'Shroom, I made a piece for the Community Gallery! Here it is.

Untitled223_20210429205827.png

Each box represents the Section of the Month from Issue 71, when FunkyK38 became Team Director of Pallette Swap, up to Issue 170 (with a couple of exceptions when the SOTM data wasn't available). At first I thought about putting every section from each issue in the respective boxes, but I soon found that would be way too ambitious.

The second thing is something that I have in my signature (partially) and my about page, but since I figure not many people look there, I'll post it here as well. I had an idea some time ago to modify Goomba sprites from various games into my OC. I made 18 in total, but I found that signatures allow 10 images max, so I added them all to my about page instead. Here they are.

GoombuigiSMB.png
GoombuigiSMB3.png
GoombuigiSML.png
GoombuigiSMW.png
GoombuigiSML2.png
GoombuigiSMAS.png
GoombuigiSMAS3.png
GoombuigiSMW2.png
GoombuigiSMRPG.png
GoombuigiGW3.png
GoombuigiPM.png
GoombuigiMLSS.png
GoombuigiPMTTYD.png
GoombuigiSPP.png
GoombuigiMLPIT.png
GoombuigiSPM.png
GoombuigiMLBIS.png
GoombuigiMLPJ.png

From left to right, these are the games that the sprites are edited from:
- Super Mario Bros.
- Super Mario Bros. 3
- Super Mario Land
- Super Mario World
- Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins
- Super Mario All-Stars (Super Mario Bros.)
- Super Mario All-Stars (Super Mario Bros. 3)
- Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
- Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
- Game & Watch Gallery 3
- Paper Mario
- Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
- Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
- Super Princess Peach
- Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time
- Super Paper Mario
- Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
- Mario & Luigi: Dream Team

Since the scribble tournament has concluded, I figured I'd post my thoughts and such about the scribbles that I made. I also saved all sketches that I made, so I'll post them here too, under the scribbles themselves.

Round 1: ? Block
Scribble Deathmatch Round 1 - Goombuigi.png

Scribble Deathmatch Round 1 - Goombuigi_20210811215919.png

You'd think that this prompt would be easy to come up with something for, but I was actually a bit stumped with it at first. ? Blocks are used very broadly in the Mario series, so I found it hard to come up with something concrete. While brainstorming, I thought "Well, the ? Blocks always help Mario in his journeys, so what if they were evil?" And so I based my prompt around that, though I'm not too sure if I portrayed that clearly enough. Goombuigi's hat is being stolen by a winged ? Block (I gave it wings for variety, plus I figured it would fit the situation better), while another is dropping a Poison Mushroom on him. Since it was the first round, I wasn't too sure how to make use of the three colors, so their use here is simple.

Round 2: Chain Chomps
Scribble Deathmatch Round 2.png

Scribble Deathmatch Round 2_20210811215943.png

It was definitely easier for me to come up with an idea for this prompt compared to the first. For this prompt I thought about how to portray a Chain Chomp, and I thought about giving it the role of a pet. I remembered Princess from Paper Mario: Color Splash, so I decided to draw her protecting her owner, Professor Todd's house, from a thief. I first thought about giving Nabbit the role of the thief, but decided to portray Popple instead, to fit the RPG theme. I experimented with outline thicknesses in this prompt, giving characters and objects who were closer in perspective thicker outlines. I also gave the "woof woof" a thicker outline to emphasize the loudness of Princess's barking. I tried showing more of the Toad House and even wanted to include Professor Toad (who would be gazing at Princess with a proud "that's my girl" look), but Princess covered most of the frame, so I couldn't fit him in.

Round 3: Comics
Scribble Deathmatch Round 3.png

This prompt was the hardest to me to come up with an idea for. At first, I thought about doing something with Waluigi Time comics, or the 'Shroom, but after an hour of trying to come up with a way to incorporate them, I gave up on that. I decided to make a comic, and I figured I could take advantage of that to tell a story rather than capturing everything within a single frame. From there, it was relatively easy for me to come up with something - since Awards voting was still in session, I based my comic around that (I also almost forgot to vote that week, as I realized when I was making the comic). The style I was going for was a sketch-y style, as if I was drawing it with a pencil, and so I used a 1px brush for it. Looking at it now, it reminds me a bit of Yoshi's Island. I didn't do a sketch for this one, and it's because it would have been time-consuming to do a sketch for all nine panels, plus the style I was using made it easier to jump in drawing the final thing.

Round 4: Golf Courses / Tennis Courts
Scribble Deathmatch Round 4_20210717150933.png

Scribble Deathmatch Round 4_20210811220008.png

For this prompt, I chose to go with a golf course, since I thought my color would fit more. I wasn't too knowledgeable in the Mario Golf games, but I wasn't to pick a specific location to portray, so I chose Toad Highlands since it was green. My initial idea was to show Bowser shooting a golf ball with a Bill Blaster, then I thought it would be fun to add Mario, with that irritated look that he has in Bowser's Fury. I then figured it would make more sense to have Bowser Jr. instead of Bowser. I tried experimenting with perspective, with how the golf ball shot from the Bullvet Bill cannon, but I don't think it turned out too well because of how I drew the course (I drew the course first). I also tried shading the course to simulate the stripes on the green, but I wasn't satisfied with how I did it because it looked too messy for me, so I dropped that. I tried hashing for the shading (based on the cross-hashing I did for the comic) rather than the cell-shading I did for the first two prompts, and I think it looks better.

Round 5: 9-Volt and 18-Volt
Scribble Deathmatch Round 5.png

Scribble Deathmatch Round 5_20210811220039.png

Scribble Deathmatch Round 5_20210811220047.png

Because I wasn't familiar with the WarioWare series, I had to do some research on the wiki. I actually had a completely different idea in mind before I switched to my current one, and I even made a sketch of it. The idea was to have 9-Volt and 18-Volt drawing their ideal situations on paper, with 9-Volt having fun with his Switch and 18-Volt winning a rap contest against 13-Volt. I'm not sure why I had them drawing specifically, it just came to mind. I ended up switching to another idea because I wanted to try experimenting with a different background color, and I figured the situation would make more sense for the characters.

Round 6: Metroid Prime 2
Scribble Deathmatch Round 6_20210731142650.png

Scribble Deathmatch Round 6_20210811220127.png

I had a few ideas for this prompt - at first I considered relating it to my previous prompt, since according to the wiki, the microgame Metroid Prime 2 is one of 9-Volt's and 18-Volt's. I couldn't figure out how to relate it to them and didn't want to spend too much more time researching, so I thought about other ideas. I first thought about Samus replacing characters on a Mario game box art with Metroid characters (e.g. Samus' face taped on Mario's, Ridley's on Bowser, etc.) and have Mario show up and give a disapproving look. I then thought about making the boxart be Mario Party 2's boxart, since they have the same acronym. I then thought about another idea using the acronym, that being a game show, which I decided to go with in the end. I made the game show the 64th Trivia Quiz-Off, since Paper Mario game shows are the first thing I think of when I correlate Mario and game shows, and I based the stands where Mario and Samus are participating from that quiz show. I changed the background to add to the action-y game show feel, and I also thought about having a speech bubble with the off-screen host saying " Oh! Erm, they're both correct!" in an unexpected manner, but I couldn't fit the speech bubble on without it looking too cluttered. (I actually drew it, and this is what it would have looked like.)
Scribble Deathmatch Round 6_20210815210900.png

Round 7: A Moment of Contemplation
Scribble Deathmatch Round 7_20210807135753.png

This was the only prompt that I had some idea what to do with beforehand, since I thought it would be a cool idea to incorporate characters from the first six scribbles. When I got my prompt, I was confused, but I decided to use that to my advantage and come up with an interpretation for it. A thought struck me to have the six characters having a moment of contemplation and gazing at Galeem and his army of Master Hands (I was playing a lot of World of Light, so that's where my idea came from). I tried experimenting with different kinds of styles for my scribbles, and for this one I decided to not use any outlines (I was finishing M4 at the time, and I didn't use outlines there, so that's where my inspiration for that choice came from, plus I figured it would look cleaner). Since I was using a green background, this did come with a consequence of being careful how I used green on the characters, but I got around some limitations with shading, positioning of the green, or having a character overlay another (such as with Goombuigi and Bowser Jr.). I almost ran out of time since I had to make quite a few characters, and Galeem was the scariest since I made him last (with about 15 minutes left on the clock), and the details on his wings (?) were tedious to do. And the end, though, I was satisfied with the scribble. This is another prompt I haven't made a sketch for, due to the scope of my idea and time constraints.

Bonus Round: GBAToad
Scribble Deathmatch GBAToad Edition.png

I wasn't too sure what to do with this prompt, but I had an idea about making GBAToad in the screen of GBAToad, repeated, hence the name "GBA Infinite" (which is also based on the iterations of the GBA, e.g. the GBA SP and the GBA Micro). Although it was a simple idea, I like how it turned it in the end.

I really enjoyed making these scribbles, and props to GBA for hosting such a fun tournament. If there's another one next year, I'm definitely joining.

I also have stuff to post about my Awards presentations, but I'll save that for another post, since I haven't written it yet.

I made some art for Wright Forde 'Shroom. I'm working on some more, but these are the ones I've made so far.
WFS Happy.png
WFS Waving.png
WFS Laughing.png
WFS Smiling.png
WFS Cheerful.png
WFS Proud.png
WFS Blushing.png
WFS Surprised.png
WFS Shocked.png
WFS Shouting.png
WFS Frowning.png
WFS Puzzled.png
WFS Annoyed.png
WFS Suspicious.png
WFS Angry.png
WFS Furious.png
WFS Bracing.png
WFS Sad.png
WFS Seasick.png
WFS Totally Fine.png

I also started working on something with clay. I haven't completed it, but here's a sneak peek.

IMG_20210928_195056.jpg

First post in this thread of 2022! I haven't made much art lately, but I do have some stuff in the works for later. In the meantime, here's some stuff that I made that I forgot to post in here until now.

Poochy Angry_20211023153300.png

Poochy Tired_20211023160342.png

Earlier in this thread I posted my art of Poochy with a happy expression, and I also made angry and tired expressions for him.
Mr. I_20211121154827.png

I also made Mr. I.

Ninjuigi.png

Explorer Goombuigi.png

And lastly, I made a couple of variations of my character, Ninjuigi and Explorer Goombuigi respectively.

Back