Possibly the hardest game I've ever played...

Lost Levels' difficulty has earned its reputation for sure. But the hardest challenge of all time, at least for platformers, is Mario Maker's Super Expert 100 Mario.

But the hardest challenge of all time, at least for platformers, is Mario Maker's Super Expert 100 Mario.

I'm pretty sure there's some weird indie title platformer that's more difficult than that. Besides, that's extremely variable as well since it's entirely community based and you can skip the blatantly BS levels as well.

I'm pretty sure there's some weird indie title platformer that's more difficult than that. Besides, that's extremely variable as well since it's entirely community based and you can skip the blatantly BS levels as well.
Super Meat Boy comes to mind.

Celeste is likely the hardest game I've played from a technical standpoint, but its atmosphere is so calming when you're learning the ins and outs and discovering what you can or can't do feels so seamless that it masks itself from feeling hard. I don't recall ever feeling much frustration with the game.

Of course, I can think of plenty of examples of games that are harder than intended for them to be, mostly because of how much of a buggy mess they are. M&M Beach Party comes to mind for that

A pretty hard challenge in my opinion is Mr. Perfect from Mega Man 9.

You have to beat Mega Man 9, widely considered to be the hardest Mega Man game. WITHOUT TAKING DAMAGE OR DYING A SINGLE TIME.

One game that's an extreme undertaking is Battletoads. It is widely considered to be one of, if not THE hardest game ever. Even with an infinite lives code, the game is extremely frustrating.

The Dark Souls trilogy are hard as they come. Dark Souls is unforgiving, make one mistake and you are dead.

Then, there are the games that are meant to be brutally difficult, like Dark Souls.

The game's creator purposefully removed a difficulty selection to make the game even harder.

Anyone ever played Donald Duck Quack Attack on the N64? I did on an emulator when I was little. It took me forever to get through four levels, and when I got to the boss, it was this giant chicken that tried to sit on you. It terrified me. And it was insanely hard, at least to eight-year-old me.

I suppose, excluding annoying flashgames that are made with one concept in mind (being impossible to beat),
I've yet to play a game that gave me more difficulty than F-Zero GX's story mode. Maybe I'm just not the greatest at knowing how to stat build, or it really is insanely difficult

Last edited:
..gonzagogl, a spore prototype, ive hardly tried to play without the "avatar runs motives sim" being off, but from what i remember of having done so its just kinda unfair. look at these cyan triangles running over to you to kick your ass and you can just hardly fight back. and its just kinda hard to fight in general with your energy depleting so quickly
ive actually played it as intended a few months back and it went fine? just avoid the cyan triangles and focus on catching the prey triangles (but NOt the pink ones because theyll gang up on you) and espeically level up stealth so you can catch prey much easier. at level 5 stealth youll literally be invisible to them its ridiculous. its not hard at all
anyway the dkcs all kick your ass but its fun

Back