Circulated rumor of content for Super Mario Bros.'s 35th Anniversary

LeftyGreenMario

Working toward a diva-free community
Wiki Administrator
Pronouns
she/her
MarioWiki
Mario

There's a rumor I'm seeing discussed in Twitter and GameFAQs about some plans for Super Mario Bros.'s 35th Anniversary. It's also corroborated by Eurogamer. Plans seem to include remasters for the Switch from Mario's backlog. Super Mario Galaxy seems to be one of the more suggested ones? 3D World too also getting a port to Switch. Super Mario Sunshine getting a remake/remaster would be fine and dandy but that game seriously needs quality of life improvements and would benefit from remake + new content like Luigi just standing there and doing nothing. Also suggested in the article that there's a new Paper Mario for the Switch. Tasty. The only new content being suggested there.

Just a rumor for now, take with a massive grain of salt and just assume it's not happening. I also don't know if the sources are any good or not.

I've seen this rumor too and honestly, I'm a bit uninterested if it were true.

am ready for HD Strollin' Stus

People want Galaxy (1&2) HD I say why stop at HD when we can wait for a 4K console to come around. Seriously, thes games have an amazing art style and the Wii's hardware was THE ONLY thing holding them back from being two of the most beautiful games imo. I've seen how beautiful they look with the right Dolphin setup in 4K, and I'd much rather wait for a more powerful console that can make the most out of them

I guess if there was any year to release a port of 3D World, it would be this year.

Now as for remastering the whole backlog of mainline Mario games. I doubt they will remaster everything. Especially in very close timeframes to each other. It would be weird to see a Mario 64 HD, Sunshine HD, Galaxy 1 and 2 HD released separately at the same time. I don't think the games will be all in one cart. Will the 2D games also be remastered with widescreen? Or will most of these games just be released on the e-shop or Nintendo Switch Online service? Yeah, I'm really skeptical of this happening if it's supposed to be everything remastered.

Maybe there still could be some new unexpected Mario game.

While this sounds like it could very easily be fake, I would be super stoked for HD remakes of SMS and/or SMG. SMS would be especially cool if they made some improvements to it (such as blue coin lists). Honestly, I'd still be all over SMG even if they didn't add hardly anything to it, even though I know that's kinda bad. Still, I'm not gonna get my hopes up too high because this sounds more like something a fan would make up for Mario's anniversary rather than something Nintendo would actually do.

I've seen this rumor too and honestly, I'm a bit uninterested if it were true.
I get that you want new games this year rather than the constant retreads we're getting. I don't know what we'll gain from doing Galaxy 1/2 besides a graphical overhaul. It just seems like riding on nostalgia.

Super Mario Sunshine, for all it's worth, could get the Super Mario 64 DS treatment. I think that'll be worth getting excited for. Playable Luigi and Wario would be sweet. If Nintendo's feeling like a particularly crazy bastard, they could do simultaneous multiplayer as that's been done by iso hacks.

I'd really like to see All-Stars + World HD, Sunshine HD, and Galaxy 1 + 2 HD.
Former sounds nice but don't know if they'll do HD when they could just stuff the SNES part of the service with old games. Sunshine and Galaxy HD, I can see happening. I'd prefer if Sunshine got the treatment though.

am ready for HD Strollin' Stus
I'm thinking more of HD blood textures from the neckbeard Pokey Heads as you spray them against a wall.

People want Galaxy (1&2) HD I say why stop at HD when we can wait for a 4K console to come around. Seriously, thes games have an amazing art style and the Wii's hardware was THE ONLY thing holding them back from being two of the most beautiful games imo. I've seen how beautiful they look with the right Dolphin setup in 4K, and I'd much rather wait for a more powerful console that can make the most out of them
Pretty nice games but that's kind of far off. Maybe they'll do it again, I don't know. Galaxy is nice, has aged, and I bet it'll look nice. Just don't know if graphics alone can carry the hefty price tag we'll likely see from it, IF the rumor is true.

super Mario sunshine remake would be grand!
I would love more Luigi to, a super Luigi galaxy kind of thing for sunshine? maybe a moon themed makeover?

also, is it true nin64 are games coming to the switch in summer?
Heck, if there is a Sunshine do-over, there has to be Luigi. Nothing less. Even if it's some dumb side mode thing like in Odyssey.

Anything in the thread's all just wishes and speculation. Nothing is confirmed.

I guess if there was any year to release a port of 3D World, it would be this year.

Now as for remastering the whole backlog of mainline Mario games. I doubt they will remaster everything. Especially in very close timeframes to each other. It would be weird to see a Mario 64 HD, Sunshine HD, Galaxy 1 and 2 HD released separately at the same time. I don't think the games will be all in one cart. Will the 2D games also be remastered with widescreen? Or will most of these games just be released on the e-shop or Nintendo Switch Online service? Yeah, I'm really skeptical of this happening if it's supposed to be everything remastered.

Maybe there still could be some new unexpected Mario game.
I doubt they will remaster all the 3D Mario games especially giving us a glut of Mario games in a small timeframe. On the other hand, we've seen very little Mario games in 2019, so perhaps they've been saving up for this year. Heck, I was expecting 2020 to be much more exciting when we got no Mario content announced so far, and I didn't realize it's an anniversary year.

Guess we'll find out one way or the other. I think old games will get into NSO, but 3D offerings, probably not.

While this sounds like it could very easily be fake, I would be super stoked for HD remakes of SMS and/or SMG. SMS would be especially cool if they made some improvements to it (such as blue coin lists). Honestly, I'd still be all over SMG even if they didn't add hardly anything to it, even though I know that's kinda bad. Still, I'm not gonna get my hopes up too high because this sounds more like something a fan would make up for Mario's anniversary rather than something Nintendo would actually do.
Yeah, this rumor was announced close to April 1, so take caution with this information. Super Mario Sunshine remake would probably be my most wanted, maybe close to the rumored new Paper Mario game (as that's a new game... for once). It does come across as a fan's idea of an anniversary. We didn't get too much content the past anniversary (the 25th anniversary was a complete bust with a red Wii, some lazy port of Super Mario All-Stars, and a CD soundtrack where sound effects... SOUND effects... made up a big portion of it) though 30th was significantly better (Super Mario Maker and neat merchandising).

I just realized that if the rumor is true

we'll get to see...

HD CLUCKBOOM

Wait a second - isn't 35 a kind of odd year for something as huge as remastering all of the 3D marios? Also isn't it kind of too good to be true?

Wait a second - isn't 35 a kind of odd year for something as huge as remastering all of the 3D marios? Also isn't it kind of too good to be true?
Probably, but you notice 2020 and 35 both line up very well for promotional opportunities. We didn't get anything much last year in 2019 and we're very light in announcements so far. I think Nintendo's saving up for something, especially Mario-related, but of course, the bevy of remakes and ports mentioned still come off as a fan's idea of what the anniversary would be. I think it's plausible to get SOME ports or remakes, but not like Sunshine and both Galaxies and Super Mario 3D World and Paper Mario. And they're just platformers so far, we're not really seeing any other spinoffs, which is kind of weird.

I'm keeping my expectations actually low despite what I'm implying earlier. I mean Sunshine would be nice but I'm just going to guess something not what I want, like I've been keeping my expectations low direct after direct the past few years, and I still plan on skipping the next one and just wait for others announcing that stuff.

Can't wait to yell every curse word there ever was at Chucksters in HD
that'll be nice too heh

yea getting like 49503453 remakes/ports really does seem kinda off as much as id like it Cause I Only Have A Switch.. were def getting at least some cool things for this year nonetheless. i hope for odyssey 2 at least

I wonder if this is true.

Hope it is, since i think a lot of people want the remaster of the 3 main 3D games.

As for 3D World having the deluxe treatment ... gotta wonder what they could add, even more levels? a new character? if so i bet for Yoshi, it makes the most sense.

Also they gotta do something with the stamps since yeah, they are collectibles in the game but the purpose of them was also tied with the now dead miiverse. Wonder if they would change that for something else or make them be usable in a different way.

I dunno, 3D world is a game that while it makes sense that i could be ported due to how good it was i just feel the game was essentially complete, so i dont know what they can add to make it even more different or at least worth the full price.

As for 3D World having the deluxe treatment ... gotta wonder what they could add, even more levels? a new character? if so i bet for Yoshi, it makes the most sense.
considering mario maker 2 im pretty sure playable toadette in a 3d world port is very likely. which i wouldnt mind hehe
i recall you had to beat every level with all 5 characters for something though? and i hope they do somethin about that for the port/etc cause it doesnt sound epic especially if theyre adding more characters

If this stuff comes true and they manage to get BOTW 2 out this year, 2020 will become the best year for the Switch since 2017 (for me at least). It would be impressive considering Nintendo's year has been just okay so far. And it would be ironic considering how bad 2020 has been in virtually all other areas....

I feel like this is going to need to be said later on so let me get this out of the way
Port: The exact same game but on a different console, at best, the controls will change
Enhanced port: Mostly the same but with new content and some of it's issues ironed out
Remaster: Looks better and a few glitches ironed out but otherwise us the exact same game
Remake: The game looks and plays completely different, a lot of new content, fixes against complaints against the original are taken to a new level, sometimes working them over completely, the story is somewhat altered and there is usually new forms of audio

A new Paper Mario would make sense, Color Splash was a 2016 game, and 4 years for a new game is the proper time needed for it not to be too rushed.

If all these games are going to be on the Switch, I don't see too many differences being brought into those, at best they might work on one (e.g. Super Mario Sunshine).

But you know, there's something that is very likely going to be released this year and I'm waiting for...

Yeah I said earlier to just keep expectations really low, take with a grain of salt. But it's fun speculating.

considering mario maker 2 im pretty sure playable toadette in a 3d world port is very likely. which i wouldnt mind hehe
i recall you had to beat every level with all 5 characters for something though? and i hope they do somethin about that for the port/etc cause it doesnt sound epic especially if theyre adding more characters

True, i honestly forgot toadette has now a cat form so that can happen as well.

And no, you dont need to beat the game with all characters to gain something so important.

If you collect every green star, stamp and have all stages with golden flags you gain access to the Crown Level aka the last level after World Fire Flower, but you can do this with 1 character if you feel like it.

The only reward you get if you beat every stage with all each character individually is their respective stamp, but thats just a lame reward.

Reactions: zel
I do wonder if Nintendo is silent on the Mario front because of doing these remasters or remakes. If they do happen, I hope the older games get prioritised first, such as Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine and Super Mario Galaxy, since they are much older and more in need of a remake.

Thank you for reading.

Venturebeats (Guess they aren't giving up after the harassment they got from the Direct) that 64, Sunshine and Galaxy will be part of "Super Mario All Stars 2"
Paper Mario will be like 64/TTYD
And more Mario games are coming to NSO, if this isn't a load of bull, I guess the games are long requested SMRPG, original Super Mario All Stars and DKC trio, Mario Paint, Yoshi Safari and SNES Wario's Woods first ever port and games that never made it out of Japan (Mario and Wario, Wrecking Crew 98, Satellaview games?)
Some games have legal compilations, such as Yoshi Cookie and Tetris Attack, so don't expect those ... and the educational games and that one game about knitting, eh, no big loss

I feel like this is going to need to be said later on so let me get this out of the way
Port: The exact same game but on a different console, at best, the controls will change
Enhanced port: Mostly the same but with new content and some of it's issues ironed out
Remaster: Looks better and a few glitches ironed out but otherwise us the exact same game
Remake: The game looks and plays completely different, a lot of new content, fixes against complaints against the original are taken to a new level, sometimes working them over completely, the story is somewhat altered and there is usually new forms of audio
That being said the line between these are not clear cut

Back