What do you think the Mario franchise has in store for 2020, in terms of games?

winstein

Justice is not limited, it is a universal quality
Awards Committee
MarioWiki
winstein
It's almost three months in 2020, but thus far, there aren't any Mario games (or DK, Yoshi or Wario, for that matter) announced for this year, This is interesting since most of the time the last year will have some announcement for next year, but in 2019 there weren't any Mario games announced for 2020. There are practically only these things known thus far:
1) Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games, the arcade edition, which is a version of the Mario & Sonic on the Switch
2) Luigi's Mansion's DLC packs
(And then there are the updates for Mario's mobile games)

So let's make a prediction and guess what's in store for the rest of the year. Personally, I am hoping that a new Mario Golf is in the cards because that's my preferred sport over Tennis.

Thank you for reading.

I would like to see another Mario Golf game since there hasn't been one on a home console after Toadstool Tour. A Strikers or Baseball game would be nice to see, too.

Maybe the Switch port of Mario 3D World will happen. I'm still surprised that a NSMBU Switch port happened before SM3DW. (For that there will probably be some new characters and levels and hopefully online multiplayer).

Oh, and maybe there might be some special game to celebrate 35 years of Mario.

Last edited:
I think a Paper Mario game is a safe bet. Hopefully it'll be a Paper Mario game that I've been waiting for since 2007, with an original story, villains, partners, and chapters. Not another game where the story is an afterthought to the mediocre gameplay gimmick.

I want a new genre or a genre Mario hasn't done in a while. I'm tired of Mario games getting sequels to the same genres over and over and over again. Remember in the GCN era where Mario experimented with a bunch of them and we got DDR, Mario Strikers, and Mario Baseball as a result? And also, I want more Mario games with bigger character rosters, preferably those with Baby Luigi playable.

We got Mario + Rabbids, which was amazing, it gave the Mario series a breath of fresh air by having characters beat up Rabbids with guns XCOM style, and that's amazing.

Like, an FPS Mario game.

Or a new rhythm Mario game. Or an RTS. Or even an action-based Mario RPG (we didn't necessarily need two turn-based JRPGs, I kinda see the point where devs questioned the need for both Mario & Luigi and Paper Mario). I want something entirely new rather than seeing sequels over and over again. Something that would make me excited for a Mario game again.

If they don't want something new, slap Baby Luigi in a new Mario Golf game or Mario Party or whatever, that's the friggin least they can do.

i hope for mario odyssey 2 at least though im not sure how likely that is. also mario + rabbids 2 (mainly because i want a mario and rayman crossover and thatd work)
3d world port and paper mario both seem pretty likely too!!! besides that i really dont know what were gettin. i hope a direct is soon so we actually KNOW

I want to see a new installment in the Mario and Luigi series. Yes it's unfortunate that Alphadreams is shut down, but hopefully Nintendo will trust this Mario series to another company who can pull off a great entry. *coughObsidian

i'll reword that

A GOOD action-based RPG not based on any existing Mario IP (ie Mario & Luigi and Paper Mario)

A side scrolling beat em up as a cheaper digital only Mario game would be nice.

Hoping for Mario Odyssey 2. It's been two and a half years since the original's release, and that was about the same time gap between Galaxy 1 and 2. Odyssey was fantastic and I'd love to see what more they have in store.

Other things:

-A new Paper Mario. I don't see an M&L happening due to AlphaDream going under and the notoriously poor sales of games from Paper Jam onward. I'm fine with whatever route they decide to take, although I do think a return to roots is most likely.

-A new Mario Kart. The last true game in the series we got was back in 2014, and since then we've only gotten a port of that, a few arcade games, and a mediocre Mario Kart that didn't truly feel like a Mario Kart 9. I don't know how likely it is due to Mario Kart 8 Deluxe existing, but I can certainly hope.

-If Odyssey 2 isn't happening, a remake of a 3D Mario would be cool. Mario 64's probably most likely, although since that already has a DS remake I can't say it's top of my list. Personally, I'd love to see a remake of Sunshine, or even Galaxy (the latter's more likely). I don't expect a 3D World port since Mario games have a history of staying out of mass ports (SMB2j was never released as a Famicom cartridge and Sunshine was never released on Wii), plus there's what happened with the Captain Toad port (Mario Maker 2 does counteract that a bit though).

have tons of playable characters too
It wouldn't have anything more than 4 or 5. Beat em ups aren't high budget games and I wouldn't want it to be super long either as beat em ups are best played in short bursts.

I want a Mario fighting game, similar to Smash but entirely Mario focused. That way they could go really deep with the character variety, and reference as much of the Marioverse as Smash does, except more of it can be playable.

I want to see a new installment in the Mario and Luigi series. Yes it's unfortunate that Alphadreams is shut down, but hopefully Nintendo will trust this Mario series to another company who can pull off a great entry. *coughObsidian
I'd rather Nintendo just hire the original M&L dev team under their wing, since they're no longer operating AlphaDream. I'd rather keep the series in the same hands if at all possible.

I think a Switch WarioWare is likely. If not this year then definitely next one.

Personally, if there were a Mario remake or port, it would originate from a non-Wii U system. I can accept a Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario Sunshine or even say, a Mario Strikers port/remake, but please: there has already been enough of Wii U ports already.

Those who mentioned a new Paper Mario, I think that's probably a good suggestion. Although quite a few say that the story/characters should have returned to traditional fare, I am here hoping that they have a nice gameplay twist since it's the reason the games can be made in the first place.

I want a Mario fighting game, similar to Smash but entirely Mario focused. That way they could go really deep with the character variety, and reference as much of the Marioverse as Smash does, except more of it can be playable.
Would you accept the expected starting roster to focus on the most recurring faces if they do have the first iteration of that fighting game? I have a feeling that they won't be doing that deep of a roster similar to Mario + Rabbids where it's basically the main four, unless it's based on an existing IP (such as Hyrule Warriors going deep with Legend of Zelda's characters).

Thank you for reading.

Last edited:
Maybe not this year, but the Switch still needs:
A second, potentially third Mario Party Game. (I honestly haven't played Super Mario Party. And what happened to numbers?!)
One more 3D game. (We already have Odyssey and Luigi's Mansion 3.)
A Paper Mario game.
If it counts as a handheld, we may see a continuation of the Mario & Luigi series. (Rest in peace, Alpha Dream.)
More sports. Olympics and Tennis don't really cover everything we need. Maybe another soccer or baseball game...
A Wario Ware game.
A Mario VS. Donkey Kong game.

It already has:
Platformers (Mega Super Awesome Sparkling New Any Other Awesome Adjective You Can Think Of Mario Bros. U Deluxe, and Super Mario Maker 2.)
A Mario Kart game, (Mario Kart 8 Deluxe) although we may see a second one due to the first being a remake, although I don't think that's likely.
A Smash Bros. game, although a surprise DLC character coming soon wouldn't surprise me.
A Yoshi game. (Yoshi's Crafted World.)
A Donkey Kong game. (Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze.)
Sandbox games (Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker and Minecraft.)

This is all speculation, by the way, so don't come yelling at me when nothing I said comes true. Did I miss anything?

Back