20 Day Video Game Challenge - Day 20: A game that truly scared you

I feel ya, Moldo. I don't have Minecraft myself, but when my cousin would come, we would play the game together on survival mode. Those baddies terrified me man, and as such I always wanted to stick to creative mode. Made many racetracks there.

Other than that, I can't say any other game really had a big lasting scary impact on me, so...

No game I have played has scared me.

Day 19: Shovel Knight is one of the only Indie games I've ever played, so that's gotta be it.

Day 20: Right now, no game really scares me, but some games had some moments that scared me as a kid.

Epic Mickey: Yes, I'm talking about this game yet again,and some moments are dark and disturbing. For example, there's an area in the game that's a mountain filled with creepy giant Mickey Merchandise. That area gave me nightmares when I was young. The game's main villain also looks super intimidating and sometimes I was scared for the main characters when I saw him.

Super Paper Mario: This game isn't scary right now, but some moments can still be disturbing. Obviously, there's Mimi's transformation, and there's also the River Twyggs that has the scariest music ever.

And sometimes, when I see footage of some horror games, I genuinely freak out sometimes and can barely sleep at night.

HOW COULD I FORGET EPIC MICKEY MAN?!

Yeah game has some really fucked up moments.

Metroid Fusion does a pretty excellent job of instilling the feeling of dread onto the player especially during the SA-X segments where you slowly hear the SA-X's ominous footsteps echo behind you.

Shadow the hedgehog. the cutscenes are very scary, and the whole game scared me as a child when I was watching my eldest sister play it. it doesn't scare me anymore, but I still won't play that game. it was the first Sonic game to get mature, and not for good reason. It also started my hatred for Shadow, who I thought was very cool in Heroes, to just a person who wanted to kill everyone in his own game and onward. Though, in the past few years I’ve started to like him again, I still hate how SEGA interpreted him in this game, that opinion will never change!

Here are the cutscenes:

SMG1 kinda scared me with the Taranatox Battle. It was like that one boss fight from Contra III: The Alien Wars.

Magic School Bus Explores the Human Body

91WrNw%2B1ffL.jpg

The image looks fine and all and everything is colorful and cartoony when you're in the classroom. But when you start exploring in Arnold, that's when things start getting creepy as hell. It has weirdly realistic 90's CGI graphics but with a dull and dark color palette along with trippy and weirdly creepy and unsettling music that doesn't belong in an edutainment game.

This is the music when you're traveling through organs for instance.

And this is music when you're painting with body organs

And this is in the first "level"

And this is the sinister music that sound more fitting in a space horror game. The title of the video even agrees with me.

Unsettling imagery

qHzNhR4.jpg

TTIup7l.jpg
AH8cBY5.jpg

So it's that one Magic School Bus game I refused to touch as a child and I think it gave me nightmares, especially the music in the first video I linked.

I would like to take the time to thank Packy (or Alexander Hamilton as he's called now) for starting this 20 Day Video Game Challenge. It has been quite a nice reflective experience for me to think of what games or characters I have preferences under the categories listed. Some of them are pretty much no-brainers for me like the "Favourite male video game character" and "Favourite game as a kid", but some were admitted very challenging to come up with, especially the "a game that inspires you" and "favourite female video game character" (yes, this is actually something that I didn't have a set answer to). Even then, I felt the need to provide an answer since non-answers like "I don't really have a game that is *so and so category*" are particularly not interesting.

The other thing that this thread affords is the perspective of other people, so like Baby Luigi's responses are a mix of obvious and fascinating. I made an effort to "Like" any post that either present a modicum of effort in explaining the choices in a satisfactory manner or shares my preference (so for example, people who likes Mario the character gets a thumbs up from me). I mean, I felt that if there is effort in elaboration, then surely they present a stronger case in why they like it (this isn't Twitter where just mentioning a game is understandable, due to post character limits), since feelings can't necessarily be translated into a post.

Perhaps the whole thing isn't as ideal as I thought it would end up, but I can at least appreciate that there are posts with effort.

Thank you for reading.

winstein said:
The other thing that this thread affords is the perspective of other people, so like Baby Luigi's responses are a mix of obvious and fascinating.

I am flattered by your thoughts on my responses, as I am mostly passionate about the games I have posted on here (even when it's talking about games i'll never play). I indeed did strive to have a mix between obvious and less obvious choices and I am more inclined to explain games people here typically aren't familiar with.

19) I don't really play indie games a whole lot, I guess I'd say the Deltarune demo if that counts since that was this year. The extra boss was fun and the music was nice, the effort to give it a legit battle system is appreciated.

20) I can't say I've played a game that truly scared me, I don't play horror games. I will go with Metroid Fusion since I remember always having that worry that SA-X would just kool-aid man me at any time, but it wasn't really terror but just a consistent thought in my mind.

winstein said:
Perhaps the whole thing isn't as ideal as I thought it would end up, but I can at least appreciate that there are posts with effort.
I understand this feeling but bad questions will get bad answers. Personally I felt like most of the questions on the tail end are barely worth the time and I can't blame people for giving up at this point when it feels like the person who made the list had given up too.

1. a game that had a lasting impression on you
hot wheels stunt track driver

2. favourite female character
https://www.marioboards.com/index.php?topic=40510.msg2040022#msg2040022

3. a game that's so bad it's good
my favourite avgn episode is rob the robot

4. a game that hit an emotional spot in your heart
when noraxia dies in ff14

5. favourite developer
the team at nintendo that does splatoon

6. favourite male character
https://www.marioboards.com/index.php?topic=40533.msg2040634#msg2040634

7. top 5 osts
i considered just using imas songs for this like i used imas characters for the character questions but there are way too many imas songs
Super Mario Bros. 2 - Overworld. The greatest song in any video game
Splatoon 2 - Chopscrewey. Not neccessarily the best track in the game because so many of them are god tier but as an example
Super Mario Galaxy - Buoy Base
Super Smash Bros. Melee - Big Blue
Kororinpa - Star Soldier
Animal Crossing - Title Theme. There are a lot of really good and incredibly memorable tracks in the whole Animal Crossing series between the background music and K.K. Slider's discography but this has always been my favourite song in the series. It might just be because of how much time I spent as a kid playing Animal Crossing but I've always thought it has an incredible nostalgic/bittersweet vibe
Diddy Kong Racing - Haunted Woods. Crackin knows what's up with the Diddy Kong Racing OST. Idk if I could ever really pick a favourite but this is probably the one that sticks out most in my mind

8. a game that not enough people talk about
umihara kawase
kororinpa

9. favourite villain
gravity

10. favourite game as a kid
super mario 64

11. top 5 games
super mario 64
splatoon 2
animal crossing
the legend of zelda: breath of the wild
paper mario

12. a game or series you've never been interested in
games without cute girls
the elder scrolls series
the legend of zelda: ocarina of time
anything brown and fantasy really
madden
tetris
mario games with 3d in the title

13. favourite npc or party member
vivian

14. a game that never gets old
people always talk about how quickly they get bored of animal crossing but i still come back to my first town in the original from 2002 sometimes or would but the wii doesn't work but i did keep coming back to it until the wii broke also you learn something new about super mario 64 every day

15. a game that everyone should play at least once
my mario maker levels

16. a game that inspires you
i've never undertaken a creative endeavor in my life but if i did i would draw a lot from super mario 64, the greatest video game ever made

17. favourite genre
games with cute girls

18. that game you really should have played by now
the rest of life is strange

19. favourite indie game you played recently
i highly recommend everyone play "one night, hot springs". it's free on steam and it's the best vn i've ever played. erika is the best girl

20. a game that truly scared the shit out of you
if you like fish

How did I stumble upon this old thing?

Welp, since I'm clearly two weeks late, I guess I'll go ahead and do all of these.

1. A game that had lasting impressions on me.
I'll be honest, Kingdom Hearts. Without it, I might not have gotten into this hobby in the first place. It was the first video game I've ever played.

2. Favorite female video game character.
Samus Aran kicks ***.

3. A game so bad it's good.
Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing

4. A game that hit an emotional spot in my heart.
Uh...no. I don't cry when I'm playing video games.

5. Favorite developer or studio.
I don't know. Nintendo? Capcom? Namco? Sega? Konami?

6. Favorite male video game character.
Haven't played Metal Wolf Chaos (that's a big issue), but I'd probably have to say Michael Wilson.

7. Five of my favorite OSTs.
Okay...Super Mario Galaxy, MegaMan Legacy Collection, MegaMan Legacy Collection 2, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, and Sonic Adventure.

8. A game that not enough people talk about.
Ranger X. Best Genesis game ever.

9. Favorite villain.
docta wahwee

10. Favorite game as a kid.
Super Smash Bros. Brawl, if for no reason other than the Subspace Emissary and nostalgia.

11. Five favorite video games.
Kingdom Hearts, Smash U, Smash 3DS, Smash Ultimate, and Brawl, in order from worst to best for top 5 video games of all time.

12. A game or series I've never been interested in.
Neptunia. It looks kinda fun, but I don't really play games where you have to play as a girl except for Metroid, FFVI, and (very rarely) Touhou.

13. Favorite NPC or party member.
wakka wakka wakka

14. A game that never gets old.
Recca. It was the first bullet-hell shooter, and gosh DANG is it fun.

15. A game that everyone should play at least once.
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy - Curtain Call.

16. A game that inspires me.
MegaMan. I make webcomics based around MegaMan.

17. Favorite genre.
PLATFORMERS.

18. That one game I really should've gotten around to playing at this point.
Yoshi's Story.

19. Favorite indie game.
I already feel the pitchforks, but I'll have to say Mighty No. 9. It's legitimately fun and difficult.

20. A game that truly scared the crap out of me.
Five Nights at Freddy's. Need I say more?

Back