20 Day Video Game Challenge - Day 20: A game that truly scared you

Re: 20 Day Video Game Challenge - Day 17: Favorite genre

Can't really think of anything for Day 16 at the moment, so I'll do Day 17.

Platformers, Action/Adventure and JRPGs.

Platformers, they might not have the best story, but are really fun to play. A few years ago however, party games would be my answer, but I've pretty much shifted from them now.

16. Super Mario Maker (for Nintendo 3DS) is the closest thing to inspire me. The reason why it inspires me is that it inspires me due to being something to help me create levels. Trying to fill the levels is what inspires me to create levels.

17. top three from least to greatest: platformer, certain RPGs, and puzzles.

I love platformers, Action RPGs, and Strategy RPGs.

Not sure about JRPGs, but we'll see that when I actually play one.

My favourite genre is undoubtedly the puzzle genre. It could be a normal puzzle game like Bejeweled, a traditional puzzle game like Professor Layton, an action puzzle game like Tetris, a fusion genre puzzle game like Puzzle & Dragons, or even a first-person puzzle game like Antichamber, but if it has a strong puzzle element, I would best enjoy the game. The reason for this is mainly due to how problem-solving oriented these games tend to be, like there's a present waiting to be unraveled, though in this case, the present is the knowledge and design behind the puzzle.

Despite me liking platformers too, I felt I can't say that it's my most favourite because I would have no problem backing out of those platformers that are difficult for the sake of difficulty, even though I love a nice balance of challenge and proper control of the character.

Alexander Hamilton said:
One of these days I'm actually going to answer the rest of these but until then, here's the next challenge: Your favorite genre!

I hope you don't cop-out on the "A game that inspires you" challenge. You might notice how a lot of people have trouble answering this one, and this is one of the questions that is better suited for proper explanations (but not many did that), so I hope you are better than that.

Thank you for reading.

RPGs. I'm fine with Action RPGs (Ys and Tales) but usually prefer turn-based (Etrian and half of everything).

Also definitely don't have anything for the previous day, games are just something I play for enjoyment so none of them have inspired me to do anything in particular and likely never will.

Platforming games, both 2D and 3D. You can move around any way you'd want, and in some cases such as MegaMan and Kirby, you have a really big moveset.

Favorite Genre
Sandbox games, especially those that let me mod them. Already mentioned them plenty of times in this thread heh.

I keep the questions I missed short and simple

Favorite OSTs
1. Rayman Legends / Origins
2. Persona 3 and 4
3. Super Smash Bros. Brawl
4. Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2
5. Mario Strikers Charged

This one was tough. There's also Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8, DDR Mario Mix, Beetle Adventure Racing, Diddy Kong Racing, Donkey Kong 64, and Banjo Kazooie. I love musics in general so I'd have plenty of soundtracks I enjoy a bunch.

Games that no one talks about
Singularity is one game I could think of instantly. It's a game that Activision had published. Yes that's right, Activision. It's not exactly a game they'd publish since it it's not something that can be exploited to make massive profits off of as opposed to Call of Duty's multiplayer, Overwatch's lootboxes, or being part of the music game fad like the Guitar Hero series. This was still back in 2010, when Activision would still publish titles that would make profits but wouldn't maximize profits like Blur or Doom 3. Unfortunately, the game "failed to meet expectations" (as usual for triple AAA companies) and it felt like Activision never really wanted to do anything with the game, it having faced troubled development and Activision almost scrapping the game altogether. And then, barely anyone has heard of the game and it really only came to my attention after Glowsquid has talked to me about a weirdo Soviet Russia shooty game on sale on Steam, and even he hasn't played the game at the time he informed me of it.

sing9.jpg

Anyway, the game was published by Raven Software, famous for their Quake and work on the Wolfenstein series, and it's their last IP before they were moved to exclusively to Call of Duty. Now the 2009 Wolfenstein game has its own story to tell, but I'll just focus on Singularity. It plays like a first person shooter game where you kill zombified creatures in a stereotypical Soviet Russia-like setting, and some parts of it were clearly inspired by Half-Life 2 and Bioshock. What sets it apart is the time manipulation gimmick and I think that's a really funny thing to toy with as you can age your enemies to dust and repair old things as if they're brand spanking new again. It's not too 100% innovative as again, the gimmick feels like Half-Life's gravity guns and Bioshock's...EVE I think that's what it's called, but the game itself is still very well-designed and still a unique experience so that you'll have fun with it.

I have a variety of different tastes. I enjoy platformers a lot.

Shooters, RPGs, Fighting, and Strategy are my favourite genres of video games.

idk honestly. It's hard for me to quantify genres that I really like since iirc theres none that i like, consistently like most or all of the games in. I think the closest to that would be metroidvanias, since i like most of the metroid games, sotn, shantae, etc.

stuff that's pretty sandboxy/adventure-like is good as well (botw, etc.); i do like rpgs but stuff like paper mario is pretty different from the genre as a whole, i think, and the first two games are my absolute favorites so there's that. puzzle games are also high tier for me, Im very fond of panel de pon and portal and stuff like that

i just like video games

I don't have a specific answer for 15 and 16, since so many games apply.

17. Favourite genre

Metroidvanias, since they combine two of my other favourite genres, platforming and action-adventure.

Re: 20 Day Video Game Challenge - Day 18: Game you really should've played by now

Hey all, sorry about that again, I was out all day Saturday and have been trying to get back into things today. But here we go! Your challenge today: That game you REALLY should've played by now!

Re: 20 Day Video Game Challenge - Day 18: Game you really should've played by now

I keep saying this!

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn

This game... came out a week before Mario Galaxy, let that sink in...

It's so infuriating to see now that it's so hard to find when I have the required system to play it and that there was a time where you could actually find it.

Goddamnit!

Nier: Automata

I mean I own it, bought it 2 years ago. It's just sitting there.

Mario Party DS

I downloaded it on Wii U VC over a month ago, but I haven't touched it yet

Huh, I was gonna say Mario 64! But I'll go with a few (or a lot) others:

★Games I might definitely not get:

-Super Mario Sunshine.
-Super Mario World.
-Every Paper Mario aside from SPM and Sticker Star.
-A few Zelda games.
-Kirby games.
-Super Mario 3D World (unless it gets ported like every Wii U game in existence)
-Super Smash Bros Brawl (yeah it's on the Wii but I can't find a copy of the game, and I know I own Ultimate, but Brawl is a must-have.)
-Super Mario Maker (Tho now I don't give a crap about it, consider Mario Maker 2 is on the way)
-Sonic The Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles, like JESUS, why did Sega never make a mobile version of that game when they made Sonic 1, 2 and CD? I need a Mobile Sonic 3!!! (& Knuckles)

★Games I have a chance of playing:

-Cuphead, considering the Switch version is coming.
-Hollow Knight.
-Splatoon 2 (don't ask me why I never bothered buying the game).
-Rayman Legends.

This is a pretty easy challenge at this time. My response would be the venerable yet recent Sonic Mania.

81s19cQtaAL._SS500_.jpg

I've gotten this game months ago because it was on sale at a more affordable range on the PC, as I felt that this is a Sonic game that should get the support it needs. In case something still needs to be said about this game, it is a quality 2D Sonic platformer that hearkens back to his best early years in terms of levels (from Sonic 1, 2, CD, 3 and Knuckles), but the levels all have been updated so they aren't the same levels as the past. There's also the fact that a few new levels are thrown into the mix, and with the large amount of levels, it is Sonic's best adventure yet. Personally Sonic 3 & Knuckles was a Sonic game that I really loved when I was younger, so I imagine I would feel the excitement of my inner child when I get around to playing this game.

Thank you for reading.

Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door and Super Smash Bros. Melee

I was a PS2 kid, and being GameCube games, they're slap-bang in the middle of the spectrum between "old enough to be released on Virtual Console" and "new enough to be still sold in stores". GameCube VC is like a dream that will never happen at this point, honestly...

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

It’s a DKC game, do I need any other reason?

Okami

I went to the trouble to track down a Wii copy after it was out of print and then never played it

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Back