20 Day Video Game Challenge - Day 20: A game that truly scared you

Re: 20 Day Video Game Challenge - Day 18: Game you really should've played by now

Castlevania: Harmony of Despair. I am waiting for it to come on Switch, PS4 and Xbone.

Re: 20 Day Video Game Challenge - Day 18: Game you really should've played by now

Super Princess Peach. I've played a Mario, Luigi, and Yoshi, plus a game that let you control Bowser a lot (BIS). So now I just need to play the Peach solo game and the saga is complete.

Super Metroid.

Smash Bros Ultimate. enough said. Honorable mentions go to Yo-kai Watch 2 and 3

Also, I’m skipping day 19, I don’t play indie games

Half-Life 2, Metro: Last Light Redux, Metro Exodus, Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter, Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2, Pony Island, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., those Burnout games on consoles I don't own, Path of Exile, and those indie games I won as prizes thanks to my Shroom tokens. Maybe a Call of Duty game too.

Can't just limit myself to just one option, really.

I should've played Super Mario Sunshine, but due to the age of the game, I have hard times finding it.

still haven't played deus ex or finished imas

Re: 20 Day Video Game Challenge - Day 19: Favorite indie game that you've played

I guess Deltarune.

I haven't played an Indie game, and idk if I ever will either

Re: 20 Day Video Game Challenge - Day 19: Favorite indie game that you've played

Since the ice is broken in regards to the next challenge, I think I should post mine.

A recent indie game I have enjoyed played is Downwell.

ss_eaab64c0e734e568912fa3ff435e7bd09a28f70b.1920x1080.jpg

The game is about falling to as far as possible, and it's also a shoot-em-up. In other words, it could be considered a shoot-em-down because of the gravity taking charge of the character's ultimate path. The game also contains elements of a roguelike, as several things are randomised: the weapon upgrades, the shop, the power-ups between each stage and the enemy placement. The player do have some tools that they control, such as the stance so they could have some trade-offs, like how one stance provide more frequency in gun upgrades at the expense of shops.

The game is meant to be completed in one go between 4 areas with 3 levels each, but I have never made it far enough to reach the 4 areas. The game do have an unlock system so things can be unlocked based on a point bar even if the player didn't do so well.

Graphically the game is as simple as you can get: it's predominantly black and white, but the red indicates the important stuff like enemies and the currency, which makes the game look very elegant, even if it's pretty tough to play.

I have played a large share of indie games, but I am pointing out a recent game because at first I thought this is about a recent game, so I have already prepared this game as what I am writing about.

Thank you for reading.

Re: 20 Day Video Game Challenge - Day 19: Favorite indie game you played recently

The only indie game I played is Minecraft. I love loading the world with TNT and then setting it off. Not to mention that I also flood the world or fill it with lava.

Re: 20 Day Video Game Challenge - Day 19: Favorite indie game you played recently

Simón de Bolivar said:
The only indie game I played is Minecraft. I love loading the world with TNT and then setting it off. Not to mention that I also flood the world or fill it with lava.
Pretty much this, although my enjoyment of Minecraft is more closely related to server mods.

How convenient that I just purchased Shovel Knight.

It's pretty good. Haven't played many indies, but this one easily destroys them.

I've played pretty much only Undertale and my opinion on it has been....ehhhh??

man i got stuck on one day so things just piled up

13. Favorite NPC/Party member - Hoooo boy, there's a gazillion to choose from! How am I suppose to make a call? Ultimately, though, I gotta fall back on Goombella. One of my inspirations for writing to begin with was TTYD's snappy dialogue, and I found her a highlight! Plus, info on every enemy and filling out a book. What's not to love?

14. A game that never gets old - Legitimately don't know how many times I played Metroid Prime from start to finish. What a good game.

15. A game that everyone should play at least once - I have several that I feel like this about, so to name just one example, Metroid Fusion. It's a really solid story with a bunch of unique bosses not found elsewhere in the franchise, and don't let Other M's badness scare you away from this good game!

16. A game that inspires you - PM:TTYD is the reason I started writing for fun. And I've gotten pretty good at it! So that's my pick.

17. Favorite genre - Platformers! Pretty simple one there.

18. Game you really should've played by now - I keep intending to play Metal Gear (I even HAVE the third one for my 3DS) but I just... keep putting it off. Not for any particular reason, I just don't get around to it.

19. Favorite indie game you played recently - Tobari and the Night of the Curious Moon! It's cheap, it's cute, Tobari and Hina are good girls, and Desunoya deserves support!

Overcooked with honorable mentions to Wargroove and Ultimate Chicken Horse

I honestly can't say that I've ever played an indie game. I'd love to play Overcooked or Human Fall Flat some day though.
EDIT: After looking at previous posts, I realized that Minecraft is an indie game. So yeah, MC is great!

I can think of a fan game that does this, but if we are talking about games in any official capacity... there is one game- no wait: two games that fit the bill, because to me it scared me enough not to play them when I was little. I present my example as Wolfenstein 3D and DOOM, both for the DOS.

WOLF-03.png
doom-3.jpg

I did watch my cousins play these games, so that's why I managed to see them. Unlike most games at that time, both Wolfenstein 3D and DOOM were first-person shooters, which meant that the perspective are different from several games where the player character is in view as a third-person. The 3D made the environments look a bit more real than I thought, but what scared me the most was the fact that the environment is quite hostile. There are merciless enemies that will not hesitate to kill the player, and the worst part is the character's portrait. The more damage the character takes, the worse their state they are in. Like they have blood flowing from their head which is very scary for me. It doesn't help that, in DOOM's case, the monsters are also hellish by design. It's especially bad because those games are the reason I am not comfortable sleeping in the same room as the computer, fearing that the hostile forces would invade me from the screen of the computer.

Perhaps you can say that this is one underlying reason I am not a fan of first-person shooters.

I'm afraid my example is pretty childish compared to what other people might post, as I have not felt the same fear about those games now unlike how I felt back then.

Thank you for reading.

New Super Mario Bros. 2. Why, you ask? Take a look:

I tell ya, that Boohemoth really sent chills down my spine! Go start up the game yourself, it's more effective than watching a video anyway.

19. Favourite indie game you played recently

SteamWorld Dig 2. I'd go so far as to say it's my favourite game I've played recently, period. The first one was already great, but the second one improves upon it tenfold. The world is enormous, the visuals and music set the atmosphere of each area extremely well, and each upgrade, both to earn it and upon earning it, gives you incentive to explore and find more treasure to max out your arsenal (the abilities you get throughout the game are also no exception). If you're a Metroidvania fan, I cannot recommend this game enough.

Part of my answer to the next challenge (placed in spoilers) ties into this game, but I didn't label it as it could spoil what's meant to be a shocking moment in the game.

20. A game that truly scared the shit out of you

Don't have one. I've had moments, though, like the hotel basement in The Last of Us and most recently
Vectron in SteamWorld Dig 2.

Minecraft. Yes. Minecraft. When I was younger, I was scared to death of playing in survival with baddies on. I really only was able to start playing it that way three years ago (yes, it scared me that much).
I still get a little startled whenever I'm in a cave and an arrow comes flying out of the darkness into my skull.

Back