Pokemon Sword and Pokemon Shield

I'm definitely adding Corviknight to my new team

Sakura Matou said:
Leon looks really dumb, even if I understand the look they're going for it's still just so bad. why is your stupid facial hair a different colour to your actual hair.

Ss99yFA.png

I mean most people's facial hair is a different colour from their head hair

my beard is a light brown - gingery colour, while my hair is a dark brown

probably not the best example, but hey, maybe he dyes

My facial hair is slowly turning blonde and I don't know how to feel about that when my hair is 100% black.

Anyway, this game looks pretty neat so far, and, I gotta be honest. I just love how Zacian just... carries that sword with its mouth. Like I would've expected maybe the sword is like, a part of its body or something, maybe a horn, idk, but no.

The new Pokemon all have some potential in terms of usefulness, from what I see:
  • Eldegoss has one of the best defensive abilities: Regenerator, since this ability means free healing so it's very good in-game. Not only that, it's useful in singles where switching is very common. Its Cotton Down reduces the Speed of the opponent so it's also quite a nice ability although Regenerator is pretty much the most optimal choice (unless it has a superb Hidden Ability).
  • Wooloo may be a Normal-type, but it also has Fluffy, which is a pretty good defensive ability unless Fire attacks are involved. It does look very unassuming so perhaps it's not so useful unless it learns some very useful moves to make up for it.
  • Drednaw looks to be an ostensibly powerful physical attacker, what with Strong Jaw as its ability. Currently no existing compatible move are Water- or Rock-type, so that might change now that we have this Pokemon.
  • Finally, Corviknight is possibly going to be the best of the bunch, since it's a Flying/Steel-type with the ability Pressure, so it could reduce resisted attacks with low PP like Draco Meteor. I am hoping that Corviknight will finally be able to dethrone Skarmory, who for the longest time is still used for its unique type (Celesteela is also Steel/Flying, but it functioned far differently, namely the fact that it doesn't get Roost).

Still though, I am reserving my "instant teammate" reactions until we see Ghost-types.

Thank you for reading.

I feel that Corviknight's defenses will actually be on the frail end of the scale (similar to that of Aerodactyl). Sure, Flying/Steel only has two weaknesses, but that won't matter if a neutral hit takes away more than half of Corviknight's HP.

Basically, Corviknight probably won't dethrone Skarmory in the defense department, but it could have potential as a strong sweeper if given good attack and speed stats.

Previously when Pokemon Sun/Moon were unreleased, some new Pokemon were revealed, such as Grubbin. This similarly happened for Pokemon Sword/Shield, as from the latest Nintendo Treehouse at E3, a couple of new Pokemon were revealed.

First off, we have Yamper, an Electric-type Pokemon that resembles a corgi, and it has the ability Ball Fetch that will retrieve a failed Poke Ball catch.
D8zbnSKXoAIQ_80.jpg

And then we have Impidimp, with a never-before-used type Dark/Fairy-type.
D8zPunSW4AIBwZD.jpg

The Direct revealed a new Water-type Gym Leader Nessa too, who is going to use Drednaw if nothing changes between now and the games' releases.
D8zDTmEXsAAfGco.jpg

Thank you for reading.

The new Pokémon look pretty ok. Nothing special. Probably won’t be adding these to my team. Although Yamper’s ability could be useful, however, I do think that it has a small chance of failure.

I've read somewhere that Sword and Shield will only contain Pokemon who are native to the Galar region. While this may be disappointing, you do need to take into consideration that the games are using 3D models, instead of 2D sprites; that will definitely take a toll on the amount of space that a Nintendo Switch game card can hold.

Welp, when I finally am interested in a new Pokemon game, Game Freak has to drop the ball and say, "welp, some previous Pokemon won't return in this one".

https://www.nintendoenthusiast.com/2019/06/12/pokemon-sword-and-shield-will-be-missing-pokemon-people-arent-happy/

During yesterday’s official Nintendo Treehouse stream of Pokémon Sword and Shield, the company revealed that the new games will lack the full national Pokédex. Instead, the game will have a more limited selection of Pokémon, and players will be unable to transfer any of their older creatures to Sword and Shield that are unavailable in the Galar Region Dex. Essentially, if the Pokémon isn’t available in Sword and Shield natively, you won’t be able to get it in the game.

MnSG said:
I've read somewhere that Sword and Shield will only contain Pokemon who are native to the Galar region. While this may be disappointing, you do need to take into consideration that the games are using 3D models, instead of 2D sprites; that will definitely take a toll on the amount of space that a Nintendo Switch game card can hold.
space has rarely been an issue, especially with video games these days

3d models don't take up THAT much space

i feel like this restriction is going to be inevitable. gamefreak can't continue adding more and more indefinitely since the workload to develop the pokemon isn't addition, its exponential

Why are people upset? This is nothing new.

I think people being upset aren't in the wrong, I'm personally not upset because I never trade forward but I can see why it's a real shit decision. Pokemon Home doesn't even have backwards compatibility iirc so anything you send over gets stuck in limbo and even though I play a pokemon game using what's available, people shouldn't be restricted in bringing over their classic favourites if they want to. Any statement that it's about balance is a joke when they can just roll with pal park rules and lock it to post-game (also they probably haven't balanced shit) and saying they did it to improve the animations is even more of a laugh when the animations are no different than what they were; garbage. edit: I guess also to add to this, pokemon is the one series that gets away with quantity over quality because the quantity is a selling point and it's not like Game Freak are capable of making quality models.

I thought the idea of making models that were even a bit too much for the 3ds and needed to be downscaled was so they could continue to use them for later games with the ability to use them. It just feels like they're too incompetent to handle a game that isn't on a handheld and this is the result of that, it's a shame and people have every right to be upset.

Not that I am. Growlithe is in baby, Arcanine lets goo.

I don't think it's a lack of the national dex that's a problem, it's that people fear they can't transfer all Pokemon they like into this game. Even when gen 3 rolled around and people were upset that they couldn't transfer strong Pokemon from the first two gen, at least gen 3 had data of the old Pokemon. This time, I think there's no data whatsoever for the older Pokemon.

Sakura Matou said:
I think people being upset aren't in the wrong, I'm personally not upset because I never trade forward but I can see why it's a real shit decision. Pokemon Home doesn't even have backwards compatibility iirc so anything you send over gets stuck in limbo and even though I play a pokemon game using what's available, people shouldn't be restricted in bringing over their classic favourites if they want to. Any statement that it's about balance is a joke when they can just roll with pal park rules and lock it to post-game (also they probably haven't balanced shit) and saying they did it to improve the animations is even more of a laugh when the animations are no different than what they were; garbage.

I thought the idea of making models that were even a bit too much for the 3ds and needed to be downscaled was so they could continue to use them for later games with the ability to use them. It just feels like they're too incompetent to handle a game that isn't on a handheld and this is the result of that, it's a shame and people have every right to be upset.

Not that I am. Growlithe is in baby, Arcanine lets goo.
Balance? Game Freak introduced, what, several gimmicks that did nothing to balance the game and was arguably a detriment to the gameplay. Some Megas were well-applied, but most weren't, either powering them way too much, giving Megas to already-strong Pokemon, or Megas of already-bad Pokemon were still too slow to really do anything (Mega Audino and Mega Abomasnow weren't great by any stretch). Z Moves were just a mess and were just lazy, and we don't even get to see new designs for old Pokemon. The animations thing is just damage control, and we all know animations haven't improved whatsoever anyway.

1ieOqwT.gif

I think incompetence is the only reasonable explanation I can think of for this decision as well as possibly just making models for ~800 Pokemon is a daunting task, but it's still doable when models don't take super long to make. The developers and publishers aren't getting poorer by any stretch, and their teams are huge. But Game Freak is usually incompetent with decision making, we have decades history of this.

Fuck, this means I won't be able to see Switch-quality models of every Pokemon nor will I have a unified art style between the 3DS models and the newer Pokemon. :mad:

This doesn't really affect me since I always make it a point to assemble my team from the new pokémon of the generation anyway.

I can totally understand why people are upset though.

I generally do this, too, but how is competitive Pokemon going to work now?

No clue. I'm sure they'll figure it out but honestly the casual side of it is impacted by this just as much. I also don't know why you quoted me for that post, you just repeated the same things I already said.

Probably trying to add on what you said, and of course, validation is always nice I guess.

Can't say if the casual side is impacted as much unless it's agreed that the post-game is really important, given traditionally, you generally didn't have access to older Pokemon until you beat the Elite Four.

As long as people can still put Stealth Rock on things and limit their team choices to a few pre-approved mons with everything else being completely useless, I'm sure the competitive scene will not be that drastically impacted.

Princess Mario said:
Balance? Game Freak introduced, what, several gimmicks that did nothing to balance the game and was arguably a detriment to the gameplay. Some Megas were well-applied, but most weren't, either powering them way too much, giving Megas to already-strong Pokemon, or Megas of already-bad Pokemon were still too slow to really do anything (Mega Audino and Mega Abomasnow weren't great by any stretch). Z Moves were just a mess and were just lazy, and we don't even get to see new designs for old Pokemon. The animations thing is just damage control, and we all know animations haven't improved whatsoever anyway.

Mega Abomasnow does have some degree of viability when used in a Trick Room team; it gets better use out of Trick Room than the standard Abomasnow. But even then, it's still plagued with having 7 weaknesses, which is quite awful as a whole.

Kazooie said:
As long as people can still put Stealth Rock on things and limit their team choices to a few pre-approved mons with everything else being completely useless, I'm sure the competitive scene will not be that drastically impacted.

It will come down to which Pokemon will be available though. Odds are, there might be some OU or Uber Pokemon, who won't make the cut.

i feel like i'm not too upset over this because i have quite a few of favorite mons and there's a good chance a one i like will be in the game regardless. i do understand the pain of being left out...hell i'm far too aware of how that feels like

on a side note

87u5Lkm.gif

they better fix corvniknight's position on the camera, it clips out far too much

Back