• Meh

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • Interesting

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • WTF

Votes: 21 43.8%

• Total voters
J & Siph said:
Is MatPat the infamous "GameTheory" know-nothing know-it-all?

Yeah. He apparently used to be rather thoughtful, but now he seems to only do things for the memes.

Doc von Schmeltwick said:
He apparently used to be rather thoughtful
While that is somewhat true, he did make the two part Mario is Mental theory back when he was somewhat good, and still won't admit its flaws.

IT'S JUST A GAME THEORY.

It may just be a theory my friend but it doesn't change the fact you just spout out bullshit for money.

I mean, attention is what they want and every time they're brought up, even in a negative light, that's exactly what they want.

It's why I never watch any of his stuff.

Ever.

"It's just a game theory" is just a escape hatch excuse to continue peddling bullshit and evading the burden of proof. That, or "JAQing" off (just asking questions). It's what conspiracy theorists do. And I mean Alex Jones and Birtherism and moon landing and 9/11 truthers.

It's clickbait. It's designed to attract the most attention as possible at the expense of accuracy and dignity. Whatever criticism you lob at them it doesn't matter to them, they're huge and successful channels and they'll continue peddling in shit as long as people keep watching them and bringing them up.

It's because of him that I get irrationally angry whenever I hear or read the phrase "just a theory" in that obnoxious voice.

I wasn't a fan either, until I realized I could get away with barging into a serious scientific meeting and saying "GUYS, THE HIGGS BOSON IS NESS". Man, they were furious at first, but then I said it was just a theory, and one of them said, "he's right, he does have a right to waste our time with this bullshit," and the rest agreed.

Or you could just watch the videos for the fun.

For all I care, who takes it seriously anyway.

MatPat is cancer though. I understand one of his staff members committed suicide not too long ago. No joke, if I was working for MatPat, I'd kill myself too. R.I.P. to the guy.

Ok now thats just in poor taste

Cheeze said:
MatPat is cancer though. I understand one of his staff members committed suicide not too long ago. No joke, if I was working for MatPat, I'd kill myself too. R.I.P. to the guy.
Yep, that'll be a yikes from me.

I just watch his videos to see how ridiculously false his theories are. Even if there's no way that Mario is a sociopath, or that Rosalina is Peach's daughter, or that Peach is just another Toad...I like seeing him analyze the evidence to come up with these false theories. Well, actually, I think he just finds the most ridiculous idea and tries to support it with evidence, and not vice versa.

He is right that Sonic is not the "fastest thing" though.

Cheeze said:
You have no idea what caused the suicide or even if making videos is a contribution (after all, depression is a highly complex long-lasting pattern of behavior that most of us only get to experience a short-term shred of sadness). It is indeed done in poor taste to even try to insinuate that working for MatPat and suicide are connected in any way. Also I have to add that I'd rather you don't label things you don't like as "cancer" as it trivializes the condition.

I'm still subscribed to Game Theory, but I rarely watch their videos anymore. It's annoying how they latch onto the current fads and memes just to get views, e.g. all the Fortnite videos they've done lately. Furthermore, their thumbnails are clickbaity and annoying. I would say most of the theories are alright, but then you get ones that are just stupid (like the famous Rosalina one). I still watch them for fun occasionally, but I don't like the channel as a whole much anymore.

Cheeze said:
Hey, mod here.

This is way over the line. Do not make a comment like this again, or you're going to get slapped even more harshly.

Miu Iruma said:
Cheeze said:
Hey, mod here.

This is way over the line. Do not make a comment like this again, or you're going to get slapped even more harshly.

ok

I used to watch Game Theory, but then I turned it down because of the Rosalina thing. Both me and RedStarMaster7 despise GameTheory.

In the end though, I have to grudgingly agree that while their content is abysmal, there is little reason to complain about them except for cynical milking the audience for views. They make money off bullshit, but this bullshit is harmless, as it concerns mainly fictional entities. It's like clickbait trivia pages that WILL TOTALLY SURPRISE YOUR GRANDMA. They're dumb, they make a lot of money, they're half-digested brain-dead crap. But worst thing they do I can think of, aside from the ethics of making low-quality videos, is that they might snuff out more well-thought out theory videos by being everywhere in "recommended" videos and wasting time. Misinformation isn't good, but I'm not sure if believing that Mario is a sociopathic rapist in of itself leads to harmful consequences.

As long as you know they're bullshit, it's fine if they don't affect your perception of games. But even if they do, it doesn't amount to much. Kind of like how CinemaSins is full of shit and it can harm how people view movies (especially those they haven't watched), but the damage is overall not even close to serious. Still, none of this excuses harsh criticism of them, and I still invite criticism and maybe use Game Theory as an example of trend-surfing, clickbait, and what NOT to do if you're honest about accuracy, thoughtfulness, and reasoning and also how production quality can mask terrible content.

Considering the purpose of his channel is to provide entertainment, there are videos of his I like. I don't really buy into theories all that much, so most are kind of meh. I didn't even watch the Peachette one :P

I can't tell if this is getting off-topic or not.

MatPat is making money spouting out stupid BS, which that in itself is BS. Here I am working my tail off for a company that doesn't give a crap about its employees, giving us little pay for our hard work (not to mention, we always deal with awful customers) while Mat makes money off of his stupid theories. I know there's an idiot on GameFAQs calling people jealous of Mat and I'm sure he'll think the same if he sees this thread, but I'm not jealous. It just irks me that someone can make a lot of money coming up with these stupid theories while real workers don't get as much recognition. It's ridiculous. That should never happen and it just goes to show that this world is going to hell in a hand-basket and there's seemingly no way out.

Back