Paper Mario series Discussion

Russian Baby Luigi said:
winstein said:
- Enemy recruitment: The idea that you can choose a certain enemy to be your ally is great, but Colour Splash didn't go all out with this idea since they can only be used for one regular battle. I hope that like Pokemon, Paper Mario can collect most enemies and choose his partner.

I thought of Shin Megami Tensei instead.

Well if Paper Mario wants to be better, should take cues from JRPG games like it, huh.

From what I understand in Shin Megami Tensei's case, recruitment requires conversation and/or negotiation with the monster, which can be quite luck-based sometimes. I imagine if Paper Mario does this, they would simplify the system to either require a certain item to help recruit enemies, or to require an ally that can talk (not Mario because Paper Mario games never let Mario talk) to negotiate with them, or both for the tougher ones.

I felt that Paper Mario has already taken cues from JRPGs anyway what with being conceptualised as Super Mario RPG 2, so the ones who favour Paper Mario becoming an RPG again would likely be receptive to this feature, I think.

Thank you for reading.

As long as the enemies you're recruiting are characters. I'm not a fan of partners being regular mooks. That's better suited, in mario RPGs anyway, to stuff like Minion Quest that's designed around squad-based fighting where you need a lot of dudes to arrange. When you only have one partner out at a time, I'd like to not have a dropdown menu with "Goomba, Goomba, Goomba" etc.

But, you know, baby steps (sad that this is even needed but what can I do)

No, what we mean in this system is to recruit monsters to help you in battle, not enemies being outright replacement for party members altogether. AFAIK (my JRPG knowledge is fairly limited so excuse me), those type of monsters are like another way to attack people except they come with their own attacks and leveling system and what not.

All of this which shows you how little impact partners have in the entire story and plot development anyway. I barely call them "party members" because they don't really interact with Mario or even each other. They exist to be used up by Mario, at least after their introduction anyway.

Well as long as it's not at the expense of real partners, I could get behind it. I do think the issue with partners not interacting with each other (and to an extent Mario, but I do like many of the interactions the ones in TTYD have with him) could be improved, maybe even implement a 2-partner system like SMRPG.

I remember people arguing that some of Mario's abilities in Sticker Star and Color Splash could be used for stand-ins for the partner system but you know what, I think I'd rather have a Koopa Troopa character specifically designed to be his own character performing that move than Mario doing that move. It's more interesting to me; aesthetics like that are really important and just plain Mario is just...I don't find it appealing and one of the reasons I'm put off Sticker Star and Color Splash. I'd prefer to have an outfitted enemy following around, even if all he did was help me climb a wall or whatever and he doesn't talk for most of the game.

Johnny Five said:
As long as the enemies you're recruiting are characters. I'm not a fan of partners being regular mooks. That's better suited, in mario RPGs anyway, to stuff like Minion Quest that's designed around squad-based fighting where you need a lot of dudes to arrange. When you only have one partner out at a time, I'd like to not have a dropdown menu with "Goomba, Goomba, Goomba" etc.

But, you know, baby steps (sad that this is even needed but what can I do)

I have the impression that, if Paper Mario were to expand the enemy recruitment idea, then it's possible to have more than one party member out at once because there are a lot of variety in enemies that it's a shame that only one can be out at once.

I guess my openness to the idea of regular enemies being able to be recruited comes from my fascination with Pokemon, where every monster in the game can be recruited (some more difficult than others), so I like building a team. This can be seen as aping Pokemon though, so I can see them differentiating from Pokemon by not only making every enemy usable outside battle, but also to allow them to make formations similar to how the Toad Rescue Squad function at certain points.

Thank you for reading.

I can take or leave partners to be honest.

Though I think they should cut the number of em in half. Too many of em I don't use because I don't need em beyond token puzzles to solve.

winstein said:
I guess my openness to the idea of regular enemies being able to be recruited comes from my fascination with Pokemon, where every monster in the game can be recruited (some more difficult than others), so I like building a team. This can be seen as aping Pokemon though, so I can see them differentiating from Pokemon by not only making every enemy usable outside battle, but also to allow them to make formations similar to how the Toad Rescue Squad function at certain points.

Thank you for reading.
In Yo-Kai Watch, you can also recruit enemies. You generally beat them and hope they come and want to join you. But you can throw items at them to increase their chances, and there are many different types of items.

Mcmadness said:
I can take or leave partners to be honest.

Though I think they should cut the number of em in half. Too many of em I don't use because I don't need em beyond token puzzles to solve.
Or make them all more useful rather than sticking to just one or two. Goombario and Kooper are very useless later in the game.

Goombario does help out players who first encounter enemies and reveals their HP bar, though his stakes are lower than Goombella's thanks to the addition of the Tattle log. Still, I prefer just trial and error with these enemies while wearing the Peekaboo badge.

The eight badges you should have equipped forever in Paper Mario:

Close Call

Damage Dodge

Heart Finder

Mega Jump

Mega Smash

Peekaboo

Spike Shield

Fire Shield

Quick Change

Zap Tap.

Zap Tap not one of them?

Fuzzies can't even touch you when you have that thing equipped.

Also, Quick Change should be on the list of must-have badges

Quick Change has got to be there.

Launched a Thousand-Year Door playthrough recently. Midway through the Glitz Pit.

Level 7
HP: 15
FP: 10
BP: 15

Russian Baby Luigi said:
Zap Tap not one of them?

Fuzzies can't even touch you when you have that thing equipped.

Also, Quick Change should be on the list of must-have badges

I...never found Quick Change.

I don't feel very happy now (I just looked up what it does. :-\ )

Either way, I've added the two badges to the list.

Moldomré said:
The eight badges you should have equipped forever in Paper Mario:

Damage Dodge

Mega Jump

Spike Shield

Altered to show the ones I use.

Honestly, I'd just roll my eyes really hard of that was the case.

What is everybody's opinion on Goombario? Although Goombario is as basic as you can get out of a partner, I kind of like him because he has a couple of advantages no other partner has: one is his attacks are multi-hit, and two is he can increase his Attack. Although Goombario is not useful in every situation, he's quite a cool guy to have in battle even though his only ability is to talk and give hints.

Thank you for reading.

I just remember my sister and I never ever upgrading him ever because we think he's lame.

winstein said:
What is everybody's opinion on Goombario? Although Goombario is as basic as you can get out of a partner, I kind of like him because he has a couple of advantages no other partner has: one is his attacks are multi-hit, and two is he can increase his Attack. Although Goombario is not useful in every situation, he's quite a cool guy to have in battle even though his only ability is to talk and give hints.

Thank you for reading.

He's fine. Not as snarky as Goombella, which gives her personality. Goombario is too stereotypical for my liking. "Oh, and there's this helpful guy that tells you about enemies!" Maybe he would have been better in a Professor Frankly-type role.

I honestly think his Grandpa would have been a better partner.

since I like to tattle things I have him in my party for 90% of the game.

I think Goombario is rather bland and boring. Once I got Kooper, I barely used him.

Honestly, if the next Paper Mario game has partners, I'd rather not have a Goomba. Or a normal Koopa, for that matter. Just ditch them and get a Yoshi. Or a Boo. Or a Cheep Cheep. Actually, just have all the partner types from Paper Mario minus Goombas and Koopas and + Yoshi. Cause I like Yoshi.

I'd rather not have them make me mash shoulder buttons again for an attack, thank you very much.

Back