A new 2D Mario game

I think a game with the same art style as warios shake it land would look amazing. The game could probably take place in a new place instead of the mushroom kingdom.
It can also introduce crappy into 2d Mario also a new power up that gives Mario a shell with spike on his back that he can crawl into and it will protect him from falling things

NSMBDS already had the blue shell power up.

I second the notion of a 2D Mario title utilizing Wario Land: Shake It's art style.

I want a Mario game in the Rayman Origins/Legends style and gameplay.

I've said this and I've said this before again

I want a new 2D Mario platformer in the vector art style we usually see in promotional content and HUD from Super Mario 3D World.

Kirby Star Allies copied and idea that I've had for such a long time; add combinable power-ups. Can you imagine the chaos that would reign down with your Raccoon tail leaving fire in it's wake? (Raccoon + Fire Flower) I'd also love them to go full on Super Paper Mario and combine 2D and 3D even more than Odyssey did.

Russian Baby Luigi said:

I want a new 2D Mario platformer in the vector art style we usually see in promotional content and HUD from Super Mario 3D World.

I'm fine with 3D World HUD, but that vector art in-game would look like it's copying Paper Mario a bit.

Not really. For starters, I want Mario to ditch the dotted eyes look.

As I said time and time again. Here are the things that I want in a new 2D Mario game.

Additionally I want Peach to be playable. I mean there is no goddamn excuse. You guys implemented her along with Daisy in Super Mario Run. And StupidMarioBros1Fan managed to work on a mod that implement Peach in that game though sadly no one wants to ASM hack in Peach's floating capability or Daisy's double jump. Speaking of Peach being playable I stated numerous times what I want for Peach so here is a video to recap that.

If making an all new 2D Mario game then I want it to re-invent the 2D Mario platformer. Make it play like a 3D Mario title (like what Super Mario 63 already did and what Super Mario 3D Land and 3D World were for 3D Mario titles by making them play like 2D Mario titles). I also want lives to be ditched, I want exploration, I want the health meter, small forms when only one hit point is remaining like Mario 2, the traditional powerups and whatnot, no timer, and the ability to do a powerup crash (which is similar to the Item Crash in Castlevania games from Rondo of Blood onwards which is where I get inspired from). And also include Peach as a playable character (with my ideas that I want Nintendo to do with Peach by adding character customization) along with a new plot and whatnot.

I wonder if my idea for an all brand new 2D Mario title sounds great, does it? Or my ideas of what I want Nintendo to do with Peach if they make her playable (by giving her customizable outfits, hairstyles, and movesets based on her outfits)?

Roll and Maria Renard said:
If making an all new 2D Mario game then I want it to re-invent the 2D Mario platformer. Make it play like a 3D Mario title (like what Super Mario 63 already did and what Super Mario 3D Land and 3D World were for 3D Mario titles by making them play like 2D Mario titles). I also want lives to be ditched, I want exploration, I want the health meter, small forms when only one hit point is remaining like Mario 2, the traditional powerups and whatnot, no timer, and the ability to do a powerup crash (which is similar to the Item Crash in Castlevania games from Rondo of Blood onwards which is where I get inspired from). And also include Peach as a playable character (with my ideas that I want Nintendo to do with Peach by adding character customization) along with a new plot and whatnot.

I wonder if my idea for an all brand new 2D Mario title sounds great, does it? Or my ideas of what I want Nintendo to do with Peach if they make her playable (by giving her customizable outfits, hairstyles, and movesets based on her outfits)?

This is the one. Come on Nintendo, don't be afraid of changing Mario in 2D! I loved Mario 63 (A fan game. For those of you who don't know about it, your life is incomplete.) more than NSMBU, and even Super Paper Mario now that I think about it. Having a game like that would be a dream come true.

I'm hoping the next time they decide to do a 2D Mario, they try something a little different (that isn't a power up or a flavor-of-the-day gimmick) instead of reusing the same level themes and bosses for the most part. Not that the NSMB games aren't fun, I'm just getting kind of worn out.

Nintendo should make New Super Mario Bros. on the Switch. The title might be New Super Mario Bros. X.

Shovel Knight said:
Nintendo should make New Super Mario Bros. on the Switch. The title might be New Super Mario Bros. X.
It should be New Super Mario Bros. Switch. It makes logical sense since it is named after the console and since Switch is also a home console as well it would keep with the pattern.

In addition, make Peach and Daisy playable and not have her be kidnapped, have another princess be kidnapped in lieu of her like the Sprixie Princesses in Super Mario 3D World or have the Sprixie Princesses reprise their role. It's a waste that NSMBU didn't have Peach be playable. The same old Peach being kidnapped plot seems monotonous and overly repetitious at this point.

Russian Baby Luigi said:

You mean something like this, right?
super_mario_3d_world___luigi_wallpaper_by_wildgirl91-d6s2sfa.jpg

If so then I agree completely, I always think that a 2D, colorful style with bold borders around everything would be perfect for a new 2D Mario game. It just looks so sleek and refreshing!

Octo-nite8 said:
Something like this 2D vector/hand drawn artwork sprites from Super Mario Run.
vhcnfWx.png

mixed with this scene
ikHrZYW.jpg

Okay, wow. That actually looks like it could be great @Russian Baby Luigi and @Octo-nite8. Consider me part of the dark side of the force...er, Mario.

If the environment was spruced up a bit rather than a blue background, then the concept would look really really cool and very close to what I want.

Maybe we could have fully vector sprites. They'd look fine.

I would like to see Miis playable in Story Mode. I also think of a new Koopa Mario power-up (Not to be confused with Shell Mario) that will allow Mario to throw Koopa Shells.

I'd like a full-on vector-styled 2D Mario, with Mario, Luigi, Peach, and (wishful thinking) Bowser, Wario and Waluigi playable each with unique playstyles and levels that can be played differently depending on your character.

Another Super Paper Mario would be great but I'm not trusting "Intelligent" Systems to touch that idea again with a ten-foot pole, not until they prove they're done limiting their characters and story. A shame too because I love the idea of a continuation of that game with more creative use of the flipping, possibly a multiplayer mode, and more playable characters (the reformed villains from the original anyone?) all woven into a story that would make the original proud.

(Remembers an old long-gone drawing I did of a combination of SPM's art style/mechanics with NSMBWii's multiplayer, even with ridable Yoshis. This was before Sticker Star and before the NSMB series became tired to me, though even now I like the idea of 4 players being incorporated into a SPM sequel)

I'll pass on that.

Back