A new 2D Mario game

SPM's gameplay wasn't that good. When flipping to 3d the levels were plain and boring, and I almost never had to use any of the items to fight either lol. I'd also like the characters more if they didn't look like circles or squares or triangles with arms and legs or anything like that.

While I am a SPM supporter and fan, I don't really want a sequel of it.

I don't know it just feels like a one-time game. Would be weird if they decided to get back to its concept. It should just stay its own thing. And I know Galaxy got a sequel, but... um... it's a main series game... and honestly did it need a sequel?

Now I do agree that the 3D mechanic should've been worked with. It has a limited time (although you CAN make this time unlimited, but who's gonna beat the Flopside pit twice for just that at the end of the game.) and the environment kinda also feel limited to one long rectangle that lacks width. But they also managed to shove many secrets that I actually only discovered over the course of many playthroughs. And the villains, while their design is questionable (but I'll hand it out to Mimi and Dimentio for really standing out) , are pretty likable to me. And just like it was said by FTG in another thread, they actually went for the geometric designs to make us feel somewhere else. If they wanted to instill that feeling to us then they nailed just that.

And some things look really cool in that style too.

Maybe it could be like Mega Man X7 where it is a 2D/3D hybrid. It will change from 2D to 3D just like that game. It will only be in certain spots though.

X7 is a terrible game.

Was the implementation of the 2d/3d what made x7 terrible?

I could go on a long ass rant about how bad X7 is but I don't want to derail things so I'll just say that in terms of comparison for a game that uses both 2D and 3D sections, it's a terrible comparison to make.

Oh it's this game I watched a review of from ProJared a while ago

yeah it's really terrible omg

Mcmadness said:
X7 is a terrible game.
Mcmadness said:
I could go on a long ass rant about how bad X7 is but I don't want to derail things so I'll just say that in terms of comparison for a game that uses both 2D and 3D sections, it's a terrible comparison to make.

I know, X7 was a flat-out awful game. But it's the example I had at the top of my head. It was influential for many other games despite its suckiness.

I'm really gonna need proof of that because as far as I know the only thing it influenced was people caring even less about the X series than they already had at that point.

Mcmadness said:
I'm really gonna need proof of that because as far as I know the only thing it influenced was people caring even less about the X series than they already had at that point.

Well, the 2D to 3D switches were the influential parts, we see this in so many other games.

I don't think that was something Megaman X7 actually introduced.

Roll and Maria Renard said:
Maybe it could be like Mega Man X7 where it is a 2D/3D hybrid. It will change from 2D to 3D just like that game. It will only be in certain spots though.

Super Paper Mario had that as well. And, @Master of Dimensions, I can tell you like SPM, as do I, and your idea is the best one here!

SPM's version of it would have been pretty good if they had actually put effort into developing it. Instead the game has too many mechanics it barely uses.

Well, that's a reason to revisit the concept and make better use of it then right?

...After we get a turn-based RPG Paper Mario again preferably, but in terms of experimental Paper Mario I'd say SPM's mechanics were far more deserving of a second chance than Sticker Star's, and that's completely discounting story and characters.

Yes, the flipping mechanic. Nothing else.

Back