Super Mario Party

Apparently there's a character or few characters cut out by between Bowser Jr and Boo. I assume it might be Boom Boom, and there's a unused board that named "Daisy's Tower" which look like 70% complete.

https://twitter.com/OtherEhm/status/1049161516400951296
image.png

The file names for the playable characters each have a corresponding ID at the beginning of the name, but there seem to be large gaps between some of them. Specifically, IDs 08, 09, and 57 are missing.(source: https://tcrf.net/Super_Mario_Party)

Maybe they wanted to make up for Pom Pom not being in Mario Tennis?

Curious about the Daisy Board though. Given how complete it is, the wishful theory is that they could complete it and patch it back in. I guess we know now that the game was rushed.

Think we might get more playable characters in the future? because I still want Baby Mario and Baby Luigi playable

ThatGuy62 said:
Maybe they wanted to make up for Pom Pom not being in Mario Tennis?

Curious about the Daisy Board though. Given how complete it is, the wishful theory is that they could complete it and patch it back in. I guess we know now that the game was rushed.
At least rushed games aren't always "forever bad" as Miyamoto puts it. He even admitted Super Mario World was a bit rushed, but that was a very good game and is often cited as one of the best in the series.

In today's climate, we now have publishers rushing their games out and hoping DLC and extra money from consumers will fix the problems the game inevitably will have.

Does anyone have anything on what exactly the Buddy Star that is one of the possible bonus stars are?

The description the toads give is just that you got the right buddy. That could either mean it's RNG and just picks a random ally (Which would give more probability to whoever collects the most allies for winning) or it could be who used a specific ally's dice blocks the most.

It's practically the same thing as the lucky ally bonus from Mario Party: Star Rush, in that having a particular ally can net you bonus coins (what's funny is that bonus could apply to your special amiibo character too, the guy you can never lose).

Russian Baby Luigi said:
It's practically the same thing as the lucky ally bonus from Mario Party: Star Rush, in that having a particular ally can net you bonus coins (what's funny is that bonus could apply to your special amiibo character too, the guy you can never lose).

So in other words, it is kind of an RNG based on ally bonus star? (Which given there's already an Ally Star would make collecting allies even more important besides just helping you progress. Allies seem to be the way to win)

Well, this game has not been disappointing at all so far. The classic mode is back and is as good as ever. 'Tis about time.

I think the cheapness of the Stars is ridiculous and shouldn't cost 10 coins and detracts the value of winning minigames. Stars costed 20 coins in the first Mario Party games for a reason: they're highly sought after and they're fairly expensive items.

In this game, you can earn them too easily just a hop and a skip through the liberal amount of coin fields on the map and just for participating in minigames. The powerful items are also cheap-costing as well (the Gold Pipe costs you like only 8 coins, while the Genie Lamp required like 30 or 20 coins). Add in the chance to get a Double Star card and bam, you get plenty of Stars with zero effort.

Additionally, I think in Partner Party, it's supremely annoying to require an odd or an even to get the Star. At least in Star Rush, you had to actually beat the boss to get the Stars they were witholding. The variables for your Dice Blocks increase even further, requiring more chance than average thanks to the addition of your partner contributing his roll to yours and your partners hitting their Dice Blocks, where precision is far more important than spaces moved.

translation: we had a subpar experience with Wario and DK

Northern Verve said:
So in other words, it is kind of an RNG based on ally bonus star? (Which given there's already an Ally Star would make collecting allies even more important besides just helping you progress. Allies seem to be the way to win)
While I haven't played the game to get that star, it seems so. Collecting allies are usually important, but I must add that they can screw up your rolls. Getting odds or evens is important, moreso than higher rolls, but allies can turn it into either an odd or even so it doesn't matter how they contribute. Shy Guy's block is helpful, for instance, as it's all evens, but once you have partners, it's not that reliable.

Princess Mario said:
translation: we had a subpar experience with Wario and DK

Northern Verve said:
While I haven't played the game to get that star, it seems so. Collecting allies are usually important, but I must add that they can screw up your rolls. Getting odds or evens is important, moreso than higher rolls, but allies can turn it into either an odd or even so it doesn't matter how they contribute. Shy Guy's block is helpful, for instance, as it's all evens, but once you have partners, it's not that reliable.

I haven't played Partner Party yet. In Mario Party mode though it really seems like allies are vital because not only do they give you more options for movement and add to your roll. They also help movement even if you happen to roll a 0 even if at most it's 2 per ally. If you get a good amount of allies though and get decent rolls you'll find yourself collecting stars quick. Alllies feel like they're pretty much the meta for this game, even more so now that it seems that two of the potential bonus stars are tied to them. Makes me wish there was an on/off switch for Allies for people who'd like it not to overrun a game. (Of course, human players could just gentlemanly agree to not purposefully land on the ally space, but someone might still get on the ally space without meaning to and get a bit of an advantage as a result)

Allies in Partner Party don't matter.

What matters if you roll an odd or an even at the right time. You don't have to even win minigames because the low cost of buying stars + participation trophy ensures you'll usually have enough to receive one.

Two problems can be averted: if you can pass by the star space and if the stars cost 20 coins, and there, everything is better now.

Because of the existence of unused content, I believe we will get them down the line, since this is how Nintendo operates their newer games these days (except for ports that aren't Mario Kart 8 Deluxe). Reminder that Super Mario Odyssey never revealed any plans for new updates pre-release, meaning that Luigi's Balloon World was announced post-release.

Spooky Octo-nite8 said:
winstein said:
I think you should post your findings on the Wiki page if able. So basically we currently know the instructor priority is:
1) Waluigi
2) Luigi
3) Peach
4) ?
5) ?

Thank you for reading.
I got it.

1) Waluigi
2) Luigi
3) Peach
4) Daisy
5) Rosalina

And I already added this to the Trivia in the "Time to Shine" page.

I find it somehow funny that Time to Shine always has Waluigi in it, no matter who you select. It's rare that a playable character always participate in a minigame, if not counting the Bowser ones in Mario Party 10. I believe that one of the languages even named this minigame after Waluigi, even.

Thank you for reading.

Some thoughts on the modes I've played so far:

Mario Party: Solid return to the old style. To compare it older entries that I've played, it feels closer to MP2 than MP8, thanks to stuff like Lakitu (who replaces Boo) and the non-linear boards. Winning feels less luck-based than some of the previous ones, which is great. I'm actually able to win presumably by good decision-making instead of my fate being decided by luck (either that or I've been very lucky). That feeling of dreadful anticipation that something is gonna screw you over towards the end of a game is intact, just as it should be.

Partner Party: An unusual mode. I initially thought that it was too easy for the winning player to continue crushing the loser, but then I made a comeback, so never mind about that. I'll have to play this mode more to really judge it, but it didn't hook me as much as the other two major modes I've tried so far.

River Survival: I didn't really have any expectations for this mode, but it was an absolute blast. It was a lot of fun working with the other players to navigate the river, but this mode really shines in its stellar co-op minigames. I enjoyed every single minigame we played, and it was really satisfying to get high ranks by communicating with my teammates. I imagine this mode would be significantly less fun with only 1 player (I played with one other human player), but this mode is a ton of fun with 2, 3, or 4 players.

Toad's Rec Room: I've only played the sprite-building one. It's a fun diversion that is completed quickly and probably won't be played much after that, but that fits for what it is.

Minigames: I didn't play the minigame mode, so I'm talking about the minigames played in the other modes here. Each minigame has a very simple concept that is creative and fun. For example, there's a minigame where you have to grab the most pancakes from a pile but cannot grab a pancake unless it is completely uncovered. The premise is simple but creative, and the mechanics of the minigame have just enough depth to be fun while still being simple and easy to understand. I especially enjoyed the co-op minigames mentioned above. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the minigames.

So far, this game has been a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to playing more of it. I can safely say that they have finally made Mario Party good again, and I congratulate NDCube for listening to the fans and finally getting it right.

I can now confirm the buddy star is indeed RNG. I was the only one to get buddies in my latest game of Mario Party. And i never used Peach's block, so it had absolutely nothing to do with using an ally's dice block. Meaning without a doubt it's another star tied to allies much like the Ally Star itself.

That kind of makes it scary. When you have the most allies that means you have a possibility of being rewarded two stars because not just having the most allies but the probability of you getting the buddy star is higher. Allies are no joke, pretty much a big part of the meta at least for the main Mario Party mode.

winstein said:
Spooky Octo-nite8 said:
winstein said:
I think you should post your findings on the Wiki page if able. So basically we currently know the instructor priority is:
1) Waluigi
2) Luigi
3) Peach
4) ?
5) ?

Thank you for reading.
I got it.

1) Waluigi
2) Luigi
3) Peach
4) Daisy
5) Rosalina

I find it somehow funny that Time to Shine always has Waluigi in it, no matter who you select. It's rare that a playable character always participate in a minigame, if not counting the Bowser ones in Mario Party 10. I believe that one of the languages even named this minigame after Waluigi, even.

Thank you for reading.
Funny thing that the icon for Rhythm Minigames is Waluigi, as shown in the Japanese website.
mark01.png

It probably won't be happening, but it would be interesting if DLC could be implemented. Extra boards, characters, and minigames would probably be the most notable contents.

MnSG said:
It probably won't be happening, but it would be interesting if DLC could be implemented. Extra boards, characters, and minigames would probably be the most notable contents.

Why wouldn't there be DLC? Critics and players love it.

Anyway, going by recent Nintendo standards, it has more chances for DLC than, oh, I dunno, SMO...
:(

Spooky Octo-nite8 said:
winstein said:
Spooky Octo-nite8 said:
winstein said:
1) Waluigi
2) Luigi
3) Peach
4) ?
5) ?

Thank you for reading.
I got it.

1) Waluigi
2) Luigi
3) Peach
4) Daisy
5) Rosalina

Thank you for reading.
Funny thing that the icon for Rhythm Minigames is Waluigi, as shown in the Japanese website.
mark01.png
Oddly fitting considering he instigated the plot of DDR Mario Mix (even if he vanishes after World 1).

I do not know if anybody have mentioned this before, but I found it neat that Birdo mentioned that this game is "the 11th party", which means that this game is essentially Mario Party 11:

DpPgs7kV4AAcm3Z.jpg

Thank you for reading.

Back