Super Mario Party

winstein said:
I have a feeling that Nintendo decided that Luigi is as valuable as Mario, so now he had to have the same restrictions as Mario when it comes to talking, except probably the Luigi Mansion games where he could be expressive, given that the first game was after all, how Luigi's personality was defined.

It's interesting you bring up Luigi's Mansion, because Luigi does actually technically talk in the original. Aside from E. Gadd's responding to him like he's talking, if you examine anything with the GameBoy Horror, you'll get to read a little quip directly from Luigi himself. So this would mark yet another time they've technically written him talking before.

Luigi's inconsistency drives me arguably even more insane. As someone puts it, it's as if Nintendo can't decide on the two, so they settle for this weird mixture that doesn't help Luigi's characterization and actually I argue hurts it thanks to the contradictions that keep Luigi fans really confused, but probably mad that Luigi is silent. This is similar to Luigi's clashing personalities in Paper Mario compared to the rest of the series or Luigi's slightly "different" depiction in Mario & Luigi like he's a goofy klutz and that goes a little far, but it's not as bad as Paper Mario Luigi. The worst thing is that Luigi talks in Odyssey. He freaking does. And I liked it when he talked. To see him not talk in Super Mario Party, especially when he and Mario just awkwardly stand there when you're selecting your group when you boot up the game, is really dismaying.

Luigi WAS silent in Sticker Star, if I recall correctly, and no one liked that. I never hear anyone that said, "Luigi is so great when he's silent" and I've heard complaints about Bowser being silent and Rosalina being silent. Sonic was strangely silent in Mario & Sonic at the London 3DS, and the result was so pathetic, I had to laugh. People seem to be okay with Mario being silent but not because it's a positive trait about Mario but it's a status quo and they argue that he's some "player empathy link" but that's not built on very strong grounds. Mario is closer to being his own character given the accent he has, his own silly depiction, and his relationship with Luigi than being a vessel for the player.

Yeah, I'm mad and I think I'm the maddest person here but maybe I care too much about silly video game characters. Don't think it's unreasonable to want a little more out of characters we're supposed to care for in order to enjoy these games though. It's why people criticize voice acting.

Kokichi Oma said:
I think this adamance for characters not talking properly when we've heard them talk is strange. It works for Link because we don't know what his dialect is like, but Mario and Luigi have a pretty distinct way of talking, so there's really no point to keeping them silent in text like this.
I argue that Link is plainer and blander than Mario in some aspects, but also believe he is entitled to talk too. He doesn't have to act in the cringey CDI-way. He can just act like, I don't know, the soft-spoken awkward guy. Or he can be like the lead Pokemon in Mystery Dungeon, who also sort of talks to him/herself, but that game also more successfully communicates this character as "you" than does Mario or Link. If Link can have customizeable features or you can even change sexes and species of Link, then it's more justifiable to have a silent protagonist. But since you don't, well...

In fairness to Sticker Star Luigi, he was just kinda there.
Yeah, you can say that about a lot of characters in that game like Bowser Jr., but Luigi was pretty much just an Easter Egg.
He gets an expanded role in Color Splash and, lo and behold, he talks. He even sends Mario letters this time rather than having to read about him in newspapers.
And, as Princess Mario said, Luigi talks in Odyssey. Heck, Luigi talks in both Galaxy games which are mainline platformers. It seems more like specific spinoffs that do it like Mario Party and M&L, and in M&L's case, the nature of the games makes it more excusable there.

It's a right shame, too, because Luigi's commentary on Mario's outfits in SMO is adorable. It takes out a lot of the charm that comes from Luigi's dialogue if some other character is paraphrasing it, because you can't have stuff like Whoa, Bro, you're getting married?! AND YOU DIDN'T TELL ME?!

It seems Luigi is more likely to speak if he's not in the protagonist role. He does speak in both Galaxy games, but only the NPC one does in the first one and in the second, Luigi speaks only when you're not playing as him.

I hope this game has future support because while what we have is not bad, I felt like they have more things in store that they aren't revealing to us. As an example, one unused board is discovered by dataminers. I am hoping that in the end there are at least 6 unique boards though.

Northern Verve said:
Is Advice and Stickers all that is offered in the Party Pad shop at least so far in the base game?

I've gotten all 5 of the gems plus all the characters but nothing else is unlocked there in the shop. Is the question marks just more stuff hinting at future content that's being saved for later or something? Or am I missing something?

You need to talk to Toad to unlock more things to shop. They include more Stickers and music collections.

Thank you for reading.

I made a new texture hack for Rosalina so she has the Fire Rosalina colors + a new voice set with Laura's voice but with echo and better clips selected by me.

Some of them are ''new'' because i made them. There's a ''Yes!'' in the intro i made , the 'Hmmm'' when she is thinking and a little ''Aha!'' that plays when she gets the dice and when Luigi bumps into her in the map theres a damage sound i made as well.

I think im complete with this game ... just for now.

You will never be done. This is your fate from now till the end of time.

Mcmadness said:
You will never be done. This is your fate from now till the end of time.

Sigh I guess , but as for this game I think I'm all set.

I was also able to extract several games that Kerri participated in and got more lines for Rosalina as result, so I have plenty to continue in many ways.

You say that now but next thing ya know you are modding in a new model for rosalina from a future game that looks better than this one.

I mean you could, but you could run into playtime issues if you do that, because typically, these models are optimized to run 60 fps in the hardware to begin with.

I found out that Donkey Kong uses a stool in Pep Rally and Take a Stab, which means that Donkey Kong stands shorter than the other characters. Even the floating Boo still requires a stool, for some odd reason.

Thank you for reading.

That'll take some spinal manipulation here. Want me to demonstrate?

I really hope that down the line, there is a free download for those who want to play Super Mario Party's double console minigames in Toad's Rec Room. Mario Party has historically been a single-game series (even on the DS and 3DS), so to see that it requires two games for "Banana, Split" doesn't really seem ideal since that's just a simple minigame. I hope an update is in the works for such a thing, even though we don't know about it yet.

Thank you for reading.

That's not necessarily true. Mario Party DS had two modes exclusive to multiplayer: Pen Pals and that pyramid battle thing. Mario Party: Island Tour had Shy Guy's Shuffle City, which was an unplayable mode for single players.

Russian Baby Luigi said:
That's not necessarily true. Mario Party DS had two modes exclusive to multiplayer: Pen Pals and that pyramid battle thing. Mario Party: Island Tour had Shy Guy's Shuffle City, which was an unplayable mode for single players.
He means single-card multiplayer, not solo play. Single-card multiplayer has been supported in literally every handheld Mario Party.

I'm doubting a patch for it in the future. If they wanted to have players have the full features, should have been in the game to begin with.

winstein said:
Princess Mario said:
Characters seem to do a short dialogue quip when you collect them in this game

EXCEPT FOR *bleep*ING MARIO

AND TOAD DOES IT FOR HIM

When I read this comment, I thought that Luigi would have some dialogue quips too, but as I have recently learned...
DpYwvLZUcAEBaYv.jpg

Yes, Toad does it for him too.

Thank you for reading.
Wow, this even worse than I thought. I thought Toad would say something like "Luigi wants to come too!" but instead this implies that Luigi is mute or that he speaks some language that only Toad understands (except he already says a few English phrases). Though this makes me imagine if Mario and Luigi really only know a few English phrases and normally speak Italian, which Toad randomly also knows. That's obviously not the case though, so it comes off as Mario and Luigi being unable to talk, and that's stupid.

I blame the communists

If they're going to go that route, like, why even have a middleman who talks for them at all? The quote is right there, it's literally there, making Toad talking for Luigi pointless.

I mean, when Baby Luigi babbled in gibberish in Super Sluggers, at least he had a speech bubble pop up next to him with nonsense words and then Lakitu interpreting the nonsense.

Bowser Revolution, though.

Back