Should Robo Mario replace Metal Mario in Spin-Off games?

My feelings torwards clone-characters in spin-off games, expecially Mario Kart, has always been rather negative, I simply don't like them that much and I think they simply occupy slots.
SOME clones unfortunately have to stay but there is a reason for them staying in so I'm not particularly mad (such as the Baby characters, as there aren't many small characters that you can use as small racers outside of them, since the amount of small enemies or NPCs that could drive a kart isn't that high...), for example Dry Bowser in MK8 has got it's own "fiery shell" thing and unique animations which helps make him feel different than his "fleshy" counterpart.

But what I don't accept are the characters that are basically a mere recolor, specifically the two metallic characters: Metal Mario and Pink Gold Peach, or Tanooki Mario or Cat Peach. They're so insulting! I would have taken Wiggler or Queen Bee anytime instead of them! It's litterally Mario or Peach with Power-Ups, and while I know that they all have unique animations, they still look a bit too similar to their original counterparts and that's what bothers me, they make it too obvious that they're a reskin.

So I thought of something, since it seems like Metal Maro is a standard spin-off character (for some reason) after his playable debut in Mario Kart 7, would you like if both he and Pink Gold Peach were ditched and we'd get Robot Mario instead?
I'm talking about the boss character from Namco's Mario Kart Arcade GP series, this guy:
RoboMario.png

This image is a creen from the game, and since it was just an arcade game, of course they didn't care that much about polishing the visuals, audio or gameplay so the model is kinda meh...

But I found an amazing fan-made high-quality reimagination of the character, look:

I mean, just look at how COOL he looks! He still resembles Mario while managing to look like his own thing, instead of being Mario with (litterally) a coat of (metal) paint or a suit.
And if he was in a sport game where characters have unique special moves like a Mario Tennis game, imagine how could his would look like! He'd allow for great electric-type attacks and stuff!

I cannot imagine how anyone would want Metal Mario instead, I mean, look at him! He's so generic!:
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/mario/images/7/7e/Metal_Mario_Artwork_2_-_Mario_Kart_7.png/revision/latest?cb=20120513171323

Again, with him they can simply copy the model and the character rig directly with no changes outside of texturing and shading, so he's much more convenient, quick and less expensive to make than making a robotic version of Mario.
Plus there might also be licensing issues, as Robo Mario was probably made by Namco, which was the one developing the arcade Mario Kart games, so Nintendo might not be able to use his design...
Still, I'd much rather have Robo Mario over Metal Mario anytime of the week (and let's take out Pink Gold Peach entirely if possible, thank you!).

What are your thoughts about this idea?

I personally have no problem with clones right now, but I’d prefer they don’t add any new ones.

Ever.

Anyway, Robo-Mario looks pretty cool and is actually different than Mario, although PGP is one I would rather get replaced.

I feel after my sister documented Robo Mario's existence, it's then that its popularity took off. We haven't even heard about the character until we played Mario Kart Arcade GP on an emulator and documented it on the Wiki back in 2013.

Anyhow, the "occupy slots" argument doesn't reflect the reality that the roster is generally decided before game development begins, and developers don't determine the number of slots. Nor will cutting Metal Mario or Pink Gold Peach will magically give them more development time for H. Queen and Wiggler. I view Metal Mario and Pink Gold Peach freebies rather. Honestly, if you're going to argue about slots, it's a problem of the Koopalings (who I think suck the most development from new / returning characters) and Cat Peach and Tanooki Mario who are developed post-game and don't have as much of a pressure (leading to less rushing and more time to flesh out) and possibly the nonMario characters.

I also think that despite the appearances, Metal Mario isn't merely Mario in a metal coat. Even if you overlook the bios that plainly state that he's a rival, his quotes indicate he's another being ("Mia mama in particular"; I don't think powerups change the way Mario talks now, do they?). What's working against Metal Mario, however, is that we got another Mario-like clone, Shadow Mario, that has more going for him with that paintbrush and voice and all. Don't think he'd work well in Mario Kart, though, because Metal Mario can comfortably fit in another weight class.

That being said, I'm not opposed to Robo Mario, though I'll surely miss Metal Mario. I'd bring up that Robo Mario still takes more effort than Metal Mario because on top of the metallic shader, he has his own model that would require new UVs and new textures. I think he's workable though, and I don't think it's a bad idea. I personally like Metal Mario, though.

Maybe we should remove Metal Mario, cause he is Mario with the Metal Cap. Robo Mario might be a robot created by Bowser to help him take over the mushroom kingdom. Just like in the Sonic series, Dr. Eggman created Metal Sonic to help him. So Robot Mario might be Metal Sonic's equivalent from the Mario series.

If anything, remove Metal Mario if they somehow shove the metal cap in Mario Kart one day.

That would be a good way to use PGP. It would just be Peach whenever she uses the metal cap.

Robo Mario is such an awesome design that I'd love for it to just become Metal Mario's new design. After all, that's similar to how Metal Sonic is. That way the metal-coated Mario can represent Mario with the metal cap, while Metal Mario (character) can be a badass robotic replica of Mario. It even has the E. Gadd logo, a nice touch suggesting Gadd invented him much like FLUDD, the Poltergusts, the paintbrush and various other gadgets in the series. And I'd also take a robotic Peach over PGP.

Iron Man said:
If anything, remove Metal Mario if they somehow shove the metal cap in Mario Kart one day.

That would be a good way to use PGP. It would just be Peach whenever she uses the metal cap.

I can actually see that working kinda. Like, the invulnerability of a Super Star, but without the ability to damage opposing racers. You'll also be heavier and fall faster when in the air and move slower underwater.

On topic, Robo-Mario could be a pallet swap of Metal Mario, like Gold Mario is in MK8DX. Or of Mario, if they decide to just merge them all into one character.

Looks like I am not alone when I thought that Robo Mario is a counterpart to Metal Sonic, except friendlier because Mario's friendly and more important the inventor is a protagonist. I would think that Robo Mario could work as a ghost for Mario in speed run comparisons, though I won't be opposed to Robo Mario appearing as an extra character in other Mario games.

Thank you for reading.

I'd absolutely love to see Robo Mario be utilized again as he has a really awesome design and so much untapped potential, possibly acting as rival to Mario mirroring the dynamic that Sonic and Metal Sonic shared. But part of me also still would like to see Metal Mario continue to be utilized every now and again as well, since Metal Mario (as in Mario wearing the Metal Cap) and Metal Mario (The character) are indeed two separate entities as others in the thread have noted.

Sonic had other Metallic doppelgangers besides Metal Sonic like Psuedo-Sonic in the Archie Comics/AoSTH and Mecha Sonic (among with several others...), so I don't mind if a few imposter Marios run about their business in some spin-offs and maybe even as a boss fight in a main series game?

... I mean, I gave up my job in super smash brothers to do this go-kart thing, so I mean...I dunno. Besides, I wasn't even the one to decide, Miyamoto wanted me to be in the game. He said it would be cool to have "A new kind of Mario, a cool and advanced one." Besides, Robo Mario is an arcade only product, At least that was what E.gadd told Luigi, who told Mario, who told Reggie, who told me on his way out the door for retirement.
One more thing, A. Pink gold peach was not my idea, and B. no, they arent gonna kick me out of a racing game, and C. i would also be ok without pink gold peach.

My opinion has changed since then, if you ask me the topic's question now, I'd be like "no"

Not if Metal Mario's design is changed to be reminiscent of his design in Nintendo 64 games. I feel the lack of features such as a voice, eyes, overalls, and the M on his cap make him more menacing.

Metalmario.png
Mgmetalmario.png

Also, I'd prefer it if Robo-Mario didn't have references to E. Gadd, because robots are objectively cooler when they're evil.

Who said being made by E. Gadd means he can't be evil? Remember Bowser Jr.'s paintbrush was also made by E. Gadd but was being used for evil.

I'm not saying E. Gadd hasn't sided with evil, but his gadgets end up in the hands of the Mario Bros. so much that I associate him with good. The bright red and white E. Gadd symbol on Robo-Mario also makes it hard to ignore the fact that it was created by him.

Well, I guess Robo-Mario would be cool. On the other hand, Metal Mario is probably the clone I am most okay with (excluding the Baby bros. and Baby Peach), so I don't actually feel like he needs to be removed. Though I do still feel that Shadow Mario and maybe Robo Mario have more appeal.

My opinion has changed since then, if you ask me the topic's question now, I'd be like "no"
Could you elaborate on this?

Not if Metal Mario's design is changed to be reminiscent of his design in Nintendo 64 games. I feel the lack of features such as a voice, eyes, overalls, and the M on his cap make him more menacing.
I can definitely see that, though Melee Metal Mario might be the best example.

I just don't feel the need to replace him. If you really are gonna go around deleting clones I think really PGP or Tanooki Mario are some reasonable targets, but I feel Metal Mario has become relatively relevant enough to just keep his own slot.

But really it's just my opinion. I'm this guy who doesn't mind anything when it comes to Mario spin-off rosters.

Also, I'd prefer it if Robo-Mario didn't have references to E. Gadd, because robots are objectively cooler when they're evil.
I like the empty eyes Metal Mario has too, I think that helps with the seriousness of the character. I note that the art for Super Mario 64 shows Metal Mario like this.

And while a lack of a voice can make Metal Mario more menacing, I also think Metal Mario's current voice is fine but maybe they should pitch shift extremely down as well as using that warbly filter. I've heard it (pitch and speed shift by -80 Metal Mario in Audacity) and I think it'll fit Metal Mario.

Yes please. Metal Mario confuses me when he exists simultaneously to Mario. Is he a Mario or an imposter?!

Back