Waluigi vs Daisy: Who Should Be In Smash Switch???

Who Should Be The Next Super Mario Rep In Smash?

• Total voters
I don't know, I think Waluigi being both an Assist Trophy and a playable fighter would be something that is very fitting for Waluiginess. Waluigi as an Assist Trophy should even have special dialogue when he's attacking himself.

But, hey, they actually do recognize him by making him... I dunno... APPEAR IN SMASH?

Ok now, even though I am one of those people who wanted Waluigi in Smash, I can totally tolerate him not being playable, him being as an assist trophy is kinda plenty enough for those who want Waluigi screentime.

Besides, I doubt they would put in Waluigi before some other popular characters like Toad. But since he already is part of Peach's moveset, I would rather have Captain Toad.

Actually, Waluigi being an assist character was never enough for me. There are 100+ assist characters, and the fact that you can't restrict certain assist characters gives Waluigi ridiculously low screen time.

I really hope they let you restrict assist characters in Smash Ultimate.

In the future, you can mod the game to control the amount of assist spawns, if you're willing to go into that territory.

Princess Mario said:
In the future, you can mod the game to control the amount of assist spawns, if you're willing to go into that territory.
Well, I'm not too familiar with modding, and I don't think I'm willing to take the necessary risks to do so. It sounds like a good idea otherwise, though.

I don't think Daisy took Waluigi's spot or anything. She's an echo fighter, simply a character meant to represent a popular character of their respective franchise that could reasonably be made on the cheap by only slightly changing the moves and animations for. Waluigi's body shape was simply too unique (Closest character in height would probably be Bayonetta, which while it would be hilarious to see, I doubt Waluigi is getting guns on his feet anytime soon), but Daisy was easily copyable from Peach. When we were arguing why Waluigi was more likely that was in the context of them being unique. If we counted characters easy to make off of, then of course Daisy had potential to get in first if we had included the possibility of her being a Peach clone.

Daisy also got a fair amount of promotion, safe to say Super Mario Run is still decently significant. But I definitely don't think it was the major factor that got Daisy in Smash as she is right now. She was simply a character well known in the mainstream thanks to all her spin-off appearances who also happens to share a very similar character shape to Peach. It's Daisy's heavy association she's had with Peach since forever that got her here. If Waluigi was closer to Luigi's size and build he could of been an echo of Luigi. But alas, he's simply too tall (Inb4 that becomes the new "too big") and will have to wait for another chance to come in as an unique fighter.

In short, a unique Waluigi would come before a unique Daisy. But a clone Daisy was more doable and easy to do for the base game with so many characters added from the past (Plus Inklings, Ridley, and whatever else unique newcomers we get in this game). The return of all the veterans of Smash Bros. history as well as the classifications of Echo Fighters has shifted expectations on newcomers. If we had known this was coming beforehand, then yeah Daisy might of been seen as more possible then she was. With other series to consider, this is why Waluigi was left again as an Assist. They're bringing EVERYBODY that was playable back along with some changes to some of them and general gameplay improvements which as Sakurai warned us about newcomers not being a big commodity. In this scenario, adding Daisy was easy. While adding Waluigi could take away time of other franchises that sorely need a rep more or even new series to get their chances too.

Captain America said:
Cheeze said:
Sakurai's still a little b**** for making Daisy playable, but not Waluigi.
Can you not?

Sakurai has s*** all over Waluigi and his fans for too long now. It has gotten old. It's time Waluigi gets his chance to shine as a playable character in Smash.

And you're acting like a toddler. Sakurai has no agenda against Waluigi or his fans. He just doesn't view him as fighter material. Daisy was a lucky, easy addition and had no bearing on Waluigi or any other character.

Captain America said:
And you're acting like a toddler. Sakurai has no agenda against Waluigi or his fans. He just doesn't view him as fighter material. Daisy was a lucky, easy addition and had no bearing on Waluigi or any other character.

How can you be so sure about this? Anyone with a brain can tell that Sakurai did this on purpose to troll Waluigi and his fans. Waluigi has always been more deserving than Daisy.

Cheeze said:
Captain America said:

How can you be so sure about this? Anyone with a brain can tell that Sakurai did this on purpose to troll Waluigi and his fans. Waluigi has always been more deserving than Daisy.
I think your bias is getting in the way and you're convinced of something that's not even there.

to me the bigger picture is that Daisy getting in it's not even a bad thing per see.

Good on her and her fans.

The BAD thing of this however is that it fuels MM3 delusion into this narrative that Daisy is just as important as Mario himself , and god that's just so annoying to see everywhere i go.

On the other hand he cannot celebrate fully either because deep down he knows that this whole ''sporty flower princess that represents sports'' was completely thrown out of the window since Sakurai basically confirmed what i have been saying all these years:

''If Daisy EVER gets in she wont be that different from Peach''

and guess what lol

honestly aside from that bitter bit, Daisy getting in is ok because im pretty sure it was the fastest thing they could make.

I also find even more hilarious that her and Ridley were revealed at the same event ... that's literally the most ''WTF'' thing this fanbase has experienced.

Considering how Ridley got this big CGI trailer and Daisy got a "hey look it's Daisy" I think we can assume pretty easily how she wound up in smash bros.

And that's not even getting into how lazy her design is as a clone. Other clones have various little details and things that separates them, Daisy is just her head shoved onto Peach's model painted orange.

Mcmadness said:
Considering how Ridley got this big CGI trailer and Daisy got a "hey look it's Daisy" I think we can assume pretty easily how she wound up in smash bros.

And that's not even getting into how lazy her design is as a clone. Other clones have various little details and things that separates them, Daisy is just her head shoved onto Peach's model painted orange.

Daisy overall is slightly shorter than Peach even in Smash.

Her moves have different properties. Sure her base stats like speed and weight are not changed or changed slightly, some of her moves act differently to Peach.

She also has a new Final Smash.

Slightly altered moves are to be expected. I meant visually. If it weren't for her head she'd be Dark Pit levels of copycat.

Cheeze said:
Sakurai has s*** all over Waluigi and his fans for too long now. It has gotten old.

Hahahaha, Waluigi at least has an Assist Trophy since Brawl. Some of us want even series acknowledged to begin with. How about we start with, say, Battalion Wars? Or Stunt Race FX? Waluigi fans have gotten it perfectly compared to people who enjoy the more obscure franchises.

While I still feel bitter about Waluigi not being in Smash, in the end, it turned out like a "oh he's not in. Sucks. Maybe next time" kind of thing. To me, there are other character that need to get in more than him, like say, Captain Toad, who does a well job atrepresenting his species, and Captain Toad Treasure Tracker is a great source to get his moveset from.

Even Isabelle deserves to be in here, but she is most likely to become a fighter if Nintendo ever wants to include a second Animal Crossing character, because Tom Nook is already part of Villager's final Smash, and Isabelle also has a bigger role than him, so her position in the series is pretty much secure, they just need to look into Animal Crossing again.

And how about Bandana Waddle Dee? If we need one Kirby newcomer, it has to be him. I'd imagine his spear working like a helicopter there, or him throwing spears. His final Smash can be a rain of spears maybe.

I, like many others, would love to see Waluigi Smash his way into Smash, but these are more of a priority for what I think. Still, it's a shame he didn't get in this time. But a man can dream.

memoryman3 said:
Daisy overall is slightly shorter than Peach even in Smash.

Her moves have different properties. Sure her base stats like speed and weight are not changed or changed slightly, some of her moves act differently to Peach.

She also has a new Final Smash.

Hey Memory, not exactly responding to your post. But I thought I'd quote you to maybe get your attention.

I just want to say. Congratulations to your most wanted character get in Smash. I know we had some arguments in the past here on this forum. But I'm not about to cry foul on Daisy getting in Smash. In fact in some ways I can be happy that dedicated fans like you finally got their dream inclusion. I know how that feels what with Sonic having been in since Brawl (I may be silently vying for Tails, but he'd only be a cherry on top really. Sonic is all I really need)

I do hope that though that after you've had your week or even month(/s) of celebration. (I heard somewhere that you're still happy although she's a Peach echo. I thought you'd be really upset that she is what you always argued against. But if you're still happy regardless, then good on you) That you now can rest your behavior that you've put people through. I know you could campaign for the next Smash for Daisy to not just return but be decloned. But that's a long way off and for now you should take what you have with a Dark Pit/Lucina style clone of Peach. I know and have heard many terrible things you've done from spamming discord channels or reddit sites, bringing up Daisy in entirely irrelevant videos on Youtube, sockpuppeting, etc. Now that Daisy's in, I hope you can finally be done with all that behavior.

I recall you had a thread on GameFAQs (Though it was deleted) where you swore you were going off Social Media for a while to focus on studies and/or real life in general... obviously you kinda turned your back on that and even went on to bother the people at Source Gaming not too long ago over their Rate their Chances video for Daisy. But if any of that thread you made on GameFAQs was an attempt at sincerity. Not that Daisy is in Smash. You can actually follow through on that at least a little. Cause you have no need to campaign any more unless you have a 2nd character you really, really, want.

I also hope you don't rub salt in the wound of any Waluigi or Toad fans (Captain Toad still kinda has a chance, but I do gotta admit his chances are a decent amount lower now then they were prior to E3). At least the ones that didn't treat you like you sometimes did others. If they trolled you back in anyway even if you started it, you're probably free to give them shit about it. But for those who only constructively argued with you and/or just feel sad about their character at the moment. I hope you at least have some dignity and not rub it in their faces.

Once again, congrats on Daisy getting in Smash. But I hope you'll become a little more humble without any need to campaign for her anymore. If you can do that, I bet more people will grow to tolerate Daisy's inclusion even if they were initially upset.

Back