Kirby Discussion Thread

Greninja said:
Yaaaay.

Actually I don't have the online and I don't think I will XD
Well, even if you don't subscribe, you absolutely need to find some way to play Kirby's Adventure. It really is that good.

Shy Guy on Wheels said:
stop being wrong.
Um...are you saying that you don't like Kirby's Adventure? That's a first. I, for one, have this weird attachment to the game that happens to be related to Smash Wii U and Master Core...in fact, it was the game that made me a Kirby fan in the first place, despite not being my first Kirby game (it was my third, after Dream Land and Super Star). I'm not saying it's the best Kirby game, because it's not. But it's still fantastic imo.

I love Kirby's Adventure. It's one of my most nostalgic games ever as not just the first Kirby game I played but one of my first video games ever. I have so many fond memories of it. As a late NES game, it pushes the system to it's limits, bringing gorgeous imagery, memorable music, and a stellar atmosphere. It also brought us the copy abilities, which I didn't even know debuted in that particular game as a kid. There's a save system which is convenient because most platformers just used a password system. However the game is also feasible to just breeze through, even for 100%. Considering it's predecessor is only about half and hour long and doesn't have much in terms of versatility, Adventure did so much for the franchise. I love this game to death and probably more than Super Star Ultra and Planet Robobot just because I have a lot more attachment even though I feel those two are probably objectively better. The anime's overarching plot also is mainly relating to Adventure so that's cool.

Also the game introduced me but who would ever care about something like that.

Maybe if one day I buy a NES mini, I'll be able to experience the game. But for now, I'm trying to get a SNES mini.

At least it has Kirby Superstar, which from what I've heard is another awesome game.

Greninja said:
Maybe if one day I buy a NES mini, I'll be able to experience the game. But for now, I'm trying to get a SNES mini.

At least it has Kirby Superstar, which from what I've heard is another awesome game.
Kirby Super Star is amazing as well. I don't have the same attachment to it as I do to Adventure, but that's just because the Smash Wii U demo starts you in Great Cave Offensive rather than Dyna Blade for some reason, and Great Cave Offensive is a terrible starting point for the game.

However, if you have an NTSC-region Wii, I strongly recommend Kirby's Dream Collection on Wii. It's a compilation of six classic Kirby games: Kirby 1 and 2 for Game Boy, Kirby's Adventure for NES, Kirby Super Star and Kirby 3 for SNES, and Kirby 64 for N64. It also includes some extra challenge stages based on the ones from RtDL, as well as an interactive (but a bit out-of-date) Kirby history. It even includes three episodes from the anime, if you want a high-quality way to watch those. So you might want to consider that.

Thanks, the only challenge is finding a store that sells it. Wii games are very rare in my country now, and Kirby games in general are also pretty rare. In fact, I bought Return To Dreamland from France during a family trip in 2013. Maybe I'll try to find Dream Collection in a Website someday, and I hope I do, since it has nearly every Kirby game, aside from the 3DS titles and Star Allies.

TG, if Dream collection is an NTSC game...

Our Wii is PAL don't get too much hopes up.

Yeah, it wasn't released in Europe, unfortunately, so if you have a PAL Wii you would not only have to find a copy but you would have to mod your Wii to boot in region-free mode.

But, you are sure you have a PAL Wii, right? I know you're in Europe, but the fact that you always refer to Kirby's Return to Dream Land by its American name rather than by its European title (Kirby's Adventure Wii) led me to think otherwise. If your Wii is unmodded and yet your game case says Kirby's Return to Dream Land on it, then I'm pretty sure you've got an NTSC Wii.

We're not actually in Europe, but we bought a european Wii. And a PAL Switch too, but the Switch is region-free, so it can pretty much play anything.

And no, the game is called Kirby's AdventureWii with us but we heavily prefer the american name, which is why we call it that. Besides, all of our Wii games are PAL anyway.

Homebrew can break region locks if you're desperate. Not hard to homebrew either, just use Letterbomb to install if you use Wii 4.3, then Priiloader can handle it.

Isabelle said:
We're not actually in Europe, but we bought a european Wii. And a PAL Switch too, but the Switch is region-free, so it can pretty much play anything.

And no, the game is called Kirby's AdventureWii with us but we heavily prefer the american name, which is why we call it that. Besides, all of our Wii games are PAL anyway.
Yeah, I will agree that the European name really stinks, it's not like it's a port of Kirby's Adventure so I struggle to see why they called it that.

Mario Party X said:
Homebrew can break region locks if you're desperate. Not hard to homebrew either, just use Letterbomb to install if you use Wii 4.3, then Priiloader can handle it.
I installed Menu Loader instead, but it doesn't really matter. I modded my Wii within five minutes last week, and it's really easy to download homebrew apps afterward. I recommend doing that if you ever get ahold of a copy of Dream Collection.

Don't even think our Wii has ever updated though.

It's always remained the same because we lost the PIN code and therefore couldn't access anything too significant outside of physical games

Isabelle said:
Don't even think our Wii has ever updated though.

It's always remained the same because we lost the PIN code and therefore couldn't access anything too significant outside of physical games
PIN code? You mean, like Parental Controls or something? If you have Parental Controls enabled and no one knows the PIN, there is a PIN reset feature if you need it.

I'm hoping for a sequel to one of the quirkier Kirby games, so maybe like a sequel to Dream Course or perhaps even better: Star Stacker.

Thank you for reading.

winstein said:
I'm hoping for a sequel to one of the quirkier Kirby games, so maybe like a sequel to Dream Course or perhaps even better: Star Stacker.

Thank you for reading.
What we really need is an international release of Super Star Stacker. I'm currently trying to install region-free mods on my Wii so I can play that.

please just be Kirby Air Ride 2 please just be Kirby Air Ride 2

I hope if it's a mainline Kirby game with multiplayer that they take it the RtDL approach, just kinda slap it on there. Granted it wasn't very fleshed out in RtDL but it was fun where as Star Allies has this "teamwork" mechanic that's just basically spread out button presses throughout the players.

I'm hoping the next mainline Kirby game uses sprites again instead of 3D models, imagine a Kirby game in the style of Wario Land Shake It! and Shantae Half-Genie Hero for example:

tumblr_mlm2naFPcx1rrftcdo1_500.gif
8f0.gif

Of course Air Ride 2 would also be great too.

This is something that I have had a thought of regarding Kirby: if there is a Sakurai Kirby game alongside a non-Sakurai Kirby game, the latter will definitely be obscure compared the the former. It also helps that the former usually gets released first. The two examples I am going to present are: 1) Kirby's Adventure & Kirby Dream Land 2, and 2) Kirby Super Star & Kirby Dream Land 3. Do you know which game from the two examples are remembered the most? I do concede that Sakurai's Kirby games presented a lot of new things to be more exciting and remembered more fondly, so I think a Kirby fan is more likely to recall anything from those two games (Adventure and Super Star) over the others (Dream Land 2 and Dream Land 3). In fact, Kirby's newer games are based on the foundation laid by Adventure and Super Star, whereas the style done in 2 and 3 are largely ignored (Rainbow Curse is the closest to this style, in my opinion).

That's why the only Kirby game of that style that is still remembered more clearly is Kirby 64, because Air Ride didn't exist back then to steal its thunder (it was planned but was ultimately moved to the GameCube). I bet that if Air Ride were a Nintendo 64 game, Kirby 64 will be much more obscure because Air Ride did a lot of new and was thus more exciting as a Kirby game (and more important, it was a Sakurai Kirby game).

Thank you for reading.

winstein said:
That's why the only Kirby game of that style that is still remembered more clearly is Kirby 64, because Air Ride didn't exist back then to steal its thunder (it was planned but was ultimately moved to the GameCube). I bet that if Air Ride were a Nintendo 64 game, Kirby 64 will be much more obscure because Air Ride did a lot of new and was thus more exciting as a Kirby game (and more important, it was a Sakurai Kirby game).
Kirby 64 did get its thunder stolen though...by Smash (which is essentially a Kirby spinoff with other Nintendo characters and elements).

This Shimomura guy really interests me though. He directs a couple Kirby games and then vanishes without a trace. Period. It's really strange.

Kirby and Dedede said:
winstein said:
Kirby 64 did get its thunder stolen though...by Smash (which is essentially a Kirby spinoff with other Nintendo characters and elements).

This Shimomura guy really interests me though. He directs a couple Kirby games and then vanishes without a trace. Period. It's really strange.
I can see what you mean, but I felt that being of different properties, both games didn't make enough of a direct comparison for the common person to think that Smash is a Kirby game (unless they probably see both games in action). The game's prototype also lacked the Kirby character if the prototype characters are of any indication (they are more like Captain Falcon). I felt that any resemblance to Kirby gameplay is due to Sakurai bringing what worked for Kirby into a fighting game environment since Super Star has fighting game elements due to every ability having their own moveset. I think that for the common person, the comparison is a lot clearer when Kirby Fighters (Deluxe) made it to fruition, and that game was released more than 10 years after the first Smash.

Thank you for reading.

Kirby and Dedede said:
I just found some weird listing on Amazon.

what on earth is this supposed to be

I bet that it’s some bootleg company advertising on Amazon, hoping that someone mistakes their fake 3DS Download Code for the real Nintendo Switch game, and mistakenly wastes his/her money on it.

Back