Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

When Pirahna plant was announced
DvdsfG4X4AYHVbI.jpg

Now with the whole discussion around Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl, I wonder if Encyclopedia Spongebobia will take a page out of this wiki's book and start creating articles for Powdered Toast Man and Korra.

Come to think of it, has there been a consensus on condensing/adding/removing the Smash content on MarioWiki? While I do understand that some people treat it as a Mario spinoff (especially in the series' early years), the official stance is that it isn't, and it's weird for this wiki to be the only franchise-specific one that covers the content in such detail (even if it's for Nintendo's flagship franchise).

The Mario franchise has such a disproportionately large presence in it (for example, even counting Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings as a single fighter, that's 14 fighters), which is only rivaled by Pokemon's (which is almost entirely devoted to a single support item). While a Zelda or Metroid wiki could easily get away with covering just what's specifically relevant to the few entities from them, Mario's is just so intertwined throughout that'd be basically impossible and, if it were attempted, would just look like it's covering 70% of the game while being too lazy to finish up.

The Mario franchise has such a disproportionately large presence in it (for example, even counting Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings as a single fighter, that's 14 fighters), which is only rivaled by Pokemon's (which is almost entirely devoted to a single support item). While a Zelda or Metroid wiki could easily get away with covering just what's specifically relevant to the few entities from them, Mario's is just so intertwined throughout that'd be basically impossible and, if it were attempted, would just look like it's covering 70% of the game while being too lazy to finish up.
tbqh I think 70% is a bit far, if 70% is Mario-related then there'd be no doubt that it'd be a spinoff (and the oblivious boomers who call it a "Meh-rio" game would be right). It's more like Mario gets 15% while other franchises get between 2% and 10% of the content. Also remember that it's 14 fighters out of 81+. Yes, the Mario franchise does have a larger presence, but no, it isn't to the point of dominating the roster/game and clearly showing itself as the host series. That was for Smash 4 oh wait but Kid Icarus Smash Run enemies /s

If you wanted to argue that Smash is a spinoff of one of its constituent series, you could also argue for it being a Kirby spinoff. The games are clearly inspired by, and lean towards, Kirby in different ways that they do towards Mario, he's even the closest thing to a main character in WoL.

Last edited:
Sakurai's stated he wanted Palutena or Bayonetta to be the starter character for WoL since they're OP in their origins, and both of them are from low-tier franchises. He went with Kirby solely due to being beginner-friendly.

I think it bears noting that the "fighters" is only the tip of the iceberg. It was the only franchise to get multiple stages in the original, and counting spinoff franchises, it got 5. (Peach's Castle, Yoshi's Island, DK Jungle, Mushroom Kingdom, and the unselectable Meta Crystal) Also, all the trophies and stickers in Brawl are also disproportionate. And I never said it's a "spinoff," just a crossover where Mario has a much larger presence than the others.

Sakurai's stated he wanted Palutena or Bayonetta to be the starter character for WoL since they're OP in their origins, and both of them are from low-tier franchises. He went with Kirby solely due to being beginner-friendly.

I think it bears noting that the "fighters" is only the tip of the iceberg. It was the only franchise to get multiple stages in the original, and counting spinoff franchises, it got 5. (Peach's Castle, Yoshi's Island, DK Jungle, Mushroom Kingdom, and the unselectable Meta Crystal) Also, all the trophies and stickers in Brawl are also disproportionate. And I never said it's a "spinoff," just a crossover where Mario has a much larger presence than the others.
I don't think he said that Palu/Bayo would be starter characters. I think he just said that they were the only characters that would possibly survive Galeem's attack. Also if Mario were the starter character, you could easily make an argument for him.

Agreed about previous games (yes Smash 64 most of all), but SSBU seems to be trying to downplay the Mario aspect and depict it as more of an ensemble thing. (Remember the Smash 4 ads for kids/families that basically marketed the game as if it were a Mario spinoff?) But yeah, back in the Smash 4 era, that, combined with it being the "bland era" of the Mario franchise (as RelaxAlax puts it) and my amiibo hunting at the time kinda was... not the greatest impression Mario and friends could have made on me back then...

I think he just said that they were the only characters that would possibly survive Galeem's attack.
im also 100% sure kirby was included in that. he picked three characters that could viably survive, and out of those then chose kirby because hes the most viable to start with gameplay wise

We do need to keep in mind that only the original 8 are starters in Ultimate. And Kirby is part of the original 8, which is more than likely why he's the starting character in World of Light.

Although characters like Rosalina, Palutena, and Bayonetta could potentially overcome Galeem's onslaught, they're not starter characters, and their learning curves are more steep (especially in Bayonetta's case) when compared to what Kirby offers to players.

Mario could pull a warp pipe from nowhere and it'll still be as contrived as Kirby's escape, so

Shield-grabbing denied.

denyiov-48bf9270-bcc3-45e9-bd5f-ac9707610896.gif

denyipf-2e9a756e-07c9-4915-bb68-1b8cd8a044cc.gif

What I basically did was modify Pyra and Mythra so that the start-up lag for their flurry attacks is 3 frames shorter.

i would have preferred a metal slug as the snk fighter rep over terry to be really honest

i mean

it's a god damn tank

we don't have a god damn laser-shooting tank available yet

give me a god damn tank

That's the most stupid thing I ever heard. First Pokemon, Mario, Meat Boy, and Cooking Mama Parodies, than criticizing 1-2-Switch!, than forcing Animal Crossing players to eat fruit and not 100% the game (I'm pretty sure you need those bugs and fish to do that), now this?! How much more out of touch can they get?!

I have to give props to them that their character is cute and I'd love to play as a cute little yellow chick with a gun but damn, man, if you want something to look legit, just make a bloody mod out of it.

Back