Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Apparently you can get this spirit if you play Dragon Quest 11 DX or its demo.

I actually downloaded the demo just for this spirit. Cause everytime there's a new spirit, I need to get it asap.

I have the demo and a save file in it but I still don't have the spirit for some reason

If that means we get a Metal Slug rep, fuck yeah I want that.

Why would we get an SNK rep when all we want is Waluigi?

screw that character piloting a tank that shoots a lot of the varied weapons such as machine guns, flamethrowers, laser beams, and explosive missiles is a bazillion times cooler than whatever that purple fucker can do.

SNK is reportedly insanely popular in Latin America, while reportedly Banjo-Kazooie is just "pretty good I guess."

snk or swim.png

Source

I wrote Terry a little page (mainly to document the references in the review trailer), and the insanity of the infobox made it worth it.

|first_appearance=''{{wp|Fatal Fury: King of Fighters}}'' (1991, overall)<br>''[[Super Smash Bros. Ultimate]]'' (2018, ''Mario''-related media, as later DLC)
|latest_appearance=''{{wp|SNK Heroines: Tag Team Frenzy}}'' (2018, as a girl)

Oh great, now people get to reenact the "Sans is Ness" (or is it the other way around?) theory more closely than ever.

Thank you for reading.

SNK is reportedly insanely popular in Latin America, while reportedly Banjo-Kazooie is just "pretty good I guess."

View attachment 386
Source

this makes me think the last one in the pass might be a regional pick as well. maybe #5 will be someone who got a lot of votes in Europe?

as for today's announcements:
- I've never played an SNK game but Terry makes a lot of sense, given their influence on fighting games and Smash itself. I don't know if I'll use him a ton but I think he's a good addition, especially after learning that Latin America loves him.
- happy to hear the official announcement that there's more DLC after this, even though I feel a little bad for Sakurai because he's never going to rest lol. - I knew Banjo & Kazooie were coming up soon but I did not expect today, thrilled with that and completely satisfied with their moveset. they look unique to the series while just playing like themselves. music sounds great and Spiral Mountain is nice.
- Home Run Contest is fine but I don't have much to say about it. never did that mode much outside of challenges so probably won't touch it much here either, but it's good to have back regardless.
- as someone who's never played Undertale (but I have it so I'll probably change that in the next few days), the Sans costume made me burst into uncontrollable laughter when he showed and I'm not remotely upset about it. surprisingly a little happy with the Goemon costume too, even though I've never been able to play his games (I want to).

overall 👌 update, I'm ready to play as my two new mains, Banjo & Kazooie and Sans Undertale

Why do I feel like the Sans costume is an even more blatant sign that they pay attention to the fans than the previous fan-requested characters? Also, it's great to see that there will be more than just the 5 DLC characters; I guess they really meant it when they named it Ultimate. Terry Bogard is kinda meh to me, but I guess his series is an iconic franchise, though not as much as a lot of the other third-parties...

Banjo & Kazooie came a lot earlier than I thought they would, but I guess I'm not that surprised, since they looked fairly complete in their reveal trailer.

Reactions: zel
I guess the Smash invitation envelope is so popular that even the official trailers did it, starting from the first Ultimate DLC character. This is funny because the first time it's used, it made sense due to how you can receive letters in Animal Crossing, but fans latched onto this concept that it looped back to being official. Regarding the trailer, it's funny how the various SNK character failed to get the envelope only to be received by the one that made the most sense.

(Also I like that the trailer acknowledged the Wii U without being derogatory to it)

Thank you for reading.

Reactions: zel
I was hoping it wouldn't be Terry or another fighting game rep like Kyo. Street Fighter's influence* means a lot of fighting game protagonists play like Ryu, and while they're never really carbon copies, I still don't imagine he'll feel that different in Smash. I suppose if they avoided any fighting reps, Marco would kind of be their only choice, as much as I personally thought it'd be nice to have Athena. But that'd also get pretty confusing if she were to cross paths with Palutena.

I was also hoping Sans would be an assist trophy, maybe the next Mr. Resetti even. He'd ramble about things like what kind of antics Papyrus has been up to lately, or directly acknowledge how people wanted him in as a fighter when that's really not his thing most of the time. Sometimes he might hint that his "special attack" is on the way, then eventually say "here goes nothing" and keep standing there for a while.

*Fatal Fury 1 was made too early to be considered one of the zillions of fighters made in response to SF2's popularity, but it was made by people who worked on Street Fighter 1, so the influence is there nonetheless.

Last edited:
(Also I like that the trailer acknowledged the Wii U without being derogatory to it)
I like that it did the same for the Virtual Boy.

I personally thought that Geese might have been a good choice for SNK, simply because it'd b ridiculously awesome to have Geese vs. Ganondorf. Though Geese failing in the trailer had me cracking up.

Back