What characters do you want for Smash?

Oh boy, this is active again. Piranha Plant: Would you main them?

• Show our leafy lord and savior some respect! / Heck yea!

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • They're a cool addition, but probably not.

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Nani? Bakana!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I MIGHT not, we'll have to wait and see.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nope. It's a stupid addition.

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • *Insert long copypasta about how the Grinch Leak was false.*

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • I honestly have no opinion on this.

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters
My former most wanted, Lyn is out of the window, I misspoke when I said I wanted King Boo in the game, I was going to say Ashley for my most wanted.

Czario said:
Here's my top ten newcomers list. Characters that are not blue (#7 on down) are ones that I don't want very strongly but I think would be cool.

1. Waluigi
2. Squid Sisters (this is my pipe dream choice)
3. Midna and Wolf Link
4. Shovel Knight
5. Ridley
6. Rayman

7. King K. Rool
8. Tetra
9. Deciduceye
10. Arms Character
Well, my top 3 were confirmed as assist trophies (R.I.P) and Ridley was confirmed. I still would like to see Rayman and Shovel Knight, and to a lesser degree King K. Rool and Tetra (though Tetra was secondary to Midna...). I don't really care about Deciduceye or an Arms character anymore (not that I ever cared that much).

He's an Assist Trophy. That's how it was shown. That's how it'll remain.

Russian Baby Luigi said:
He's an Assist Trophy. That's how it was shown. That's how it'll remain.
But he wasn’t shown in the treehouse, or the tournament that happened not too long ago, and he’s one of Smash’s most prominent assist trophies, so that’s a pretty suspicious direction it took. Also, of all the assist trophies you want to show off for being K.O.able Waluigi seems like a pretty particular choice. Sakurai is really aware of the mass popularity Waluigi has gotten, if you remember in the Miiverse when he has shown ow photo of Waluigi in Smash 4 he said “Just because you worked hard doesn’t mean you’ll make it.” Sakurai probably only added Waluigi in Ultimate in that clip just for his own pleasures and would probably make him playable.”But characters can’t be playable and an assist trophy at the same time.” If you recall the Spirit Track stage you can see Toon Link conducting the train, yet he’s playable, they brought back Palkia as a pokeball Pokémon, yet they’re bringing back Spear Pillar. I think it is possible for Waluigi to be an assist trophy AND a playable character l

I really think you're overthinking this and you're desperately grasping at straws. The builds they show of the game are very, very close to the final, in fact, may as well be the final build sans small polishes and tweaks beforehand. It's terribly unlikely they'll introduce drastic changes from then on out and this includes changing a character that was evidentally shown off as an Assist Trophy from the first trailer. Whereas, background elements of a stage aren't even comparable to tangible units spawned from an Assist Trophy helping out players, and we aren't even sure if Palkia's frequency with Poke Balls is adjusted accordingly for Spear Pillar (because that's technically possible, as someone who mods Smash 4 and has discovered that Poke Ball spawn frequencies have two separate files and the modded frequencies I use for one doesn't work on particular stages).

I believe there is an extremely small chance that they are trolling us since it is odd that he was one of the primary Assist Trophies in the presentation and yet did not appear in the Treehouse demos at all, even when they were showing off Assist Trophies (though to be fair, he might not have been the only Assist like that). Plus, it would fit his personality to make us think he's an Assist before being revealed as playable. However, the chance of this actually occurring is microscopic, so just treat it as being a done deal that he's not playable and is just an Assist until such a thing actually happens which again is super unlikely.

Also not saying it will happen, but I don't think it's too much of a stretch to consider Waluigi being the first character to become playable and still be an assist trophy. This is Nintendo after all, remember playing as Luigi in Super Mario Galaxy?

For those who follow the logic of "Waluigi might be playable because he wasn't in the E3 demo."

Not every playable character was in the E3 demo.

There were many things missing from the E3 demo, and if Waluigi is one of the most prominent assist trophies, well then, not all of the original twelve are in the demo, if you consider those to he the most prominent fighters.

Waluigi is not one of the most prominent Assist Trophies. As someone who played two 100-minute battles back-to-back in Smash Wii U, I'll tell you that Waluigi only appeared twice, compared to the 10 or so times that Shadow or Nightmare or Majora each appeared.

If anything, Waluigi is one of the rarer Assist Trophies compared to Shadow, Nightmare, or Majora. Since Waluigi isn't going to be playable, I'll at least hope that they add an Assist Trophy Switch (similar to the Random Stage Switch in Smash Wii U, but with Assist Trophies).

Characters that are unconfirmed:
  • Mike Jones (Startropics)
  • Shovel Knight
  • Rayman
  • Banjo-Kazooie
  • Bandanna Dee
  • Dixie Kong
  • Chibi-Robo
  • K. Rool
  • Tingle
  • Toad
  • Slime (Dragon Quest)
  • Excitebike Guy

Characters that have been confirmed:
  • Snake
  • Ridley
  • Wolf
  • Ice Climbers

Characters that have been deconfirmed:
  • Bomberman

Sunshine Yoshi said:
Waluigi is not one of the most prominent Assist Trophies. As someone who played two 100-minute battles back-to-back in Smash Wii U, I'll tell you that Waluigi only appeared twice, compared to the 10 or so times that Shadow or Nightmare or Majora each appeared.

If anything, Waluigi is one of the rarer Assist Trophies compared to Shadow, Nightmare, or Majora. Since Waluigi isn't going to be playable, I'll at least hope that they add an Assist Trophy Switch (similar to the Random Stage Switch in Smash Wii U, but with Assist Trophies).

Waluigi isn't actually rarer than Shadow. He sits at the same spawn frequency as Shadow, at a value of 30, who shares with Andross, Devi, Samurai Goroh, Jeff, Knuckle Joe, Kat & Ana, Lyn, Metroid, Nintendog, Saki Amamiya, and Dr. Wright. Assist Trophies rarer than Waluigi are Advance Wars, Hammer Bro., Lakitu, Starfy, and Tingle (24).

Nightmare and Skull Kid have identical spawn frequencies of 32, which is only slightly higher than Waluigi. The rest of the Assist Trophy characters have values of either 32 or 38.

I feel like it's probably unhealthy that I make whole movesets for the characters I want. Not just specials, but the whole dang moveset. Plus the entrance animation, taunts, and victory poses.

Nope, it's not unhealthy. People do this all the time, all the way back maybe even pre-Melee hype. I've done this too before, though today, just don't have the energy to make an entire moveset and consider what moves do and the damage they dish out.

I would do some myself.

If I played a Smash game before and therefore knew how to associate the entire terminology with any kind of move!

I've played every Smash game and I still don't know enough about the tech to make a 'viable' moveset, at least not a complete one. Though to be fair 99% of my gameplay is goofy VS matches with CPUs and the single tournament I competed in (with a group of guys on a scouting trip oh gosh yeeeeears ago) I was the first one eliminated because of this reason.

I don't really come up with the nitty-gritty techy meta stuff. I just think "Okay, what could they do for this? What have they done in their game(s) that could fit for such a move? This kind of thing could work." I do come up with custom special moves, though.

Moldomré said:
completely removing all traces of Waluigi
If this happened (it won't, but if it did) somebody needs to bring popcorn to watch the internet storm that would result.

J & Siph said:
Moldomré said:
completely removing all traces of Waluigi
If this happened (it won't, but if it did) somebody needs to bring popcorn to watch the internet storm that would result.

I think I'm the only person on this board that dislikes him. (Completely removing him would be too controversial, and I was kidding anyway.)

I don't like Waluigi that much. He's just fodder punching bag for me, which would be my reason for wanting him in. I like Mario & Luigi vs. Waluigi Wario Donkey Kong. Toad would've added to it, but...

1. Waluigi (deconfirmed)
2. Bandana Waddle Dee (high chance)
3. Kamek (low chance)
4. Adeleine & Ribbon (pipe dream)
5. King K. Rool (moderate chance)
6. Cranky Kong (moderate chance)
7. Dixie Kong (moderate chance)
8. Funky Kong (moderate chance)
9. Toadsworth (pipe dream)
10. Toadette (low chance)

Waluigi is still possible, even if very unlikely. People used to think Toon Link was deconfirmed in SSB4 until Alfonzo solved the problem. And if any character were to be the first to defy all odds and get in as both playable and assist, it would be Waluigi since being tricky is in his character. So he's still my third most wanted, and they haven't changed.

Back