Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions

Supreme Commander Fawful of the Digital Candy Troll Kingdom said:
Paper Mario... I consider the first 3 games to be things that actually happened (especially 64, since we've seen some characters from it in 3D games) and they are simply being told by a narrator using a paper art style to convey the plot.
I personally think that goes without saying. In the context of an actual story, free from any gameplay limitations, Mario and company wouldn't patiently wait for their turn as the enemies attack them. They'd be running around, flinging everything they've got at the enemies while the enemies do the same. The turn-based RPG system is an abstraction done for simplicity's sake, and I believe that extends to the artstyle as well.

I just don't care whether they happened or not. At least the third one.

Other 4 are fine to have happened in their own world or whatever.

I thought it was obvious since TTYD that the Paper Mario games are just a series of books. Those events and stories never happened, but certain characters may actually exist, such as Goomboss and the Star Spirits. Don't see how this is a negative thing.

Maybe they're trying to spare us the unbearable pain that "music" in Joke's End causes.

Oh boy...Joke's End. Whenever I heard that music it eventually sounded like it was saying. Navy beans over and over again... :shifty:

It's your gray matter slowly disintegrating into grayish beans. It's Bean Fever all over again!

Joke's End was such a terrible level, hopefully they've completely revamped it or something. The only thing I'm interested in about that place is if they changed the Ice Snifits to be like the ones in Woolly World.

Personally can't wait for the soundtrack myself, as soon as it's on YouTube I'll be listening to Popple's theme on repeat.

If it is like the other two games, it will have all or most soundtracks in the game itself. This is unlocked after completing the game. Anyways. Jokes End is basically a platformer test in a RPG. Using all of the skills prior to this point is necessary, though, I don't remember using Solo Lightning except in battles. Usually when Luigi was alone. Jokes End was very complicated, having to go off the path to an area below where you were. I wonder what they will do with it... especially the end thereof.
Luigi dressed as Peach (not the other way around like Koops' once avatar).

Edit: Do you think Bowser's Minions part of it would also go to Jokes End? And how will this work if it does?

Mcmadness said:
Luigi's Mansion

I'll commend the Mansion games for giving Luigi a lot of personality for their time, but neither Luigi's Mansion or Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon came close to Luigi's development and growth in Dream Team.

Luigi is still evidently scared by the time of the final bosses in both Mansion games. But with Dream Team, you see him slowly grow more and more confident and by the time he faces Giant Bowser, he's a changed man.

Both the Mansion games and Dream Team, use Luigi's love for his brother as the motivator for him to overcome his fear and be courageous. But Dream Team shows this more, and conveys it better with the Dreams Deep sequences and his internal dialogue.

Luigi's Mansion literally created Luigi's personality. Thats about as much development as it gets.

In addition to the commercial, Luigi's also a coward in earlier media such as some cartoons, Nintendo Comics System, Super Mario Adventures, and Super Mario-Kun (in volume 3, Luigi's even portrayed as pathetic in one chapter, in the French version, page 114, and the enemies deliberately ignore him; a Galoomba even says "C'est juste Luigi"; "It's just Luigi"). Official artwork in Famicom Grand Prix II: 3D Hot Rally also portrayed Luigi as uneasy and probably clumsy as well. Luigi also has a move in Smash Bros. that has him flailing his arms and a bashful kick as a taunt. Luigi's Mansion gets too much credit for "creating" Luigi's personality when Luigi's already like this. You can say Luigi's Mansion exemplified it, but it's a different matter to say they created this dynamic. Luigi's Mansion may have been among the first games, but I've seen the other media as fill-ins and don't deviate that much from the limited portrayals from the games, especially the early games which had practically no personality dynamics, anyway.

Of course, there is media that somewhat contradicts it, one I can think is Super Mario Bros.: Peach-hime Kyushutsu Dai Sakusen!, where Luigi is a greedy idiot and Super Mario Shirayuki-hime, where Luigi helps defeat Bowser, but there are also games like Paper Mario too where Luigi is just... there, I think.

There is also Luigi being a fool even at an early age, being kidnapped. ;)

None the less, Luigi's Mansion was the first GAME to give him the personality he's generally known to have.

Before that he was basically a Green Mario.

You have to arbitrarily exclude the other media, though. You can argue either way, though, as canon arguments are moot and we can go forever whenever to include the stuff I said or not. That being said, Luigi's cowardice has been established before the games, probably arisen from his "third wheel" (if that's the right metaphor) feel. I don't think it's a coincidence that unrelated media and fandom often portray Luigi as more cowardly.

They probably had a basis for fleshing out Luigi's cowardly personality in Luigi's Mansion, I don't see them ignoring all past instances of similar characterization when deciding what to do for this game, heck it was originally going to be a Mario game and was changed to Luigi when they decided he fit better.

LeftyGreenMario said:
There is also Luigi being a fool even at an early age, being kidnapped. ;)

This is something he has absolutely no control over dumbass

Nah, it was totes his fault.

Yeah, guy should've defended himself with cry power.

PangolinFreak said:
He just has a very kidnappable face :P

Point taken.

Back