Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions

Why do I get the feeling this remake is going to be largely arbitrary and not actually bring all that much new to the table beyond minor improvements?

Battle ring, but other than that I'm content. Granted, even just the SSS remake with nothing more would still satisfy me, they've already gone past that with Minion Quest and tweaks to the original game so I'm already set.

Mcmadness said:
Why do I get the feeling this remake is going to be largely arbitrary and not actually bring all that much new to the table beyond minor improvements?

Eh, I'm not looking for new stuff. I just want a better looking and sounding game with better battle physics.

I just don't see the point in remaking it if nothing significant is changed.

The original game has aged quite well for the most part.

This isn't a remaster, this is a remake.

List of Currently Known Changes (Some Are Pretty Big)

ie9LQ4.jpg

It gives me more of a remake vibe than a remaster vibe. Seeing as they added modern M&L elements to this game. Also bros moves don't look as cool, and work a bit differently.

My biggest concern is advanced bros moves. In the original if you did bros enough Mario would have an epiphany in battle, and a cute little scene would play where the bros discuss the new tactic and wink. I hope this won't be removed, since advanced bros is selected separately.

This that I know have changed:
- More gear (particularly exited about this)
- A decent map system
- Bros. Attacks are altered
- Graphics (duh) and music
- Bowser's minions mode

Things I want to know:
- Is the story/events the same with minor additions or have some parts been changed?
- Is the gear the same as in Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga or does it have extra gear items and rank up bonuses like BIS and DT?
- Do beans still work the same or are they more like BIS/DT?
- Is the cafe going to get the cameos that were cut from the original? (I hope so)

Honestly I don't mind if it's just the original with a fresh coat of paint or if it's been altered a lot.

Lee Chaolan said:
Things I want to know:
- Is the story/events the same with minor additions or have some parts been changed?
Honestly I don't mind if it's just the original with a fresh coat of paint or if it's been altered a lot.

I get the feeling the term "Bowser Baddies" will be retcon replaced with "Bowser's Minions". And maybe other minor changes. I can tolerate this... so long as the Koopa Cruiser Koopas still have their flight uniforms!

I think it was a neat acknowledgement that the development team had people who worked on Super Mario RPG (namely, the two directors, the producer plus the composer), so I hope it stays, if anything we would have an up-to-date sprite of Geno which never hurts (the costume isn't the same). Considering how Square and Nintendo have a better relationship I too see it as likely.

On the flipside, I wouldn't be surprised if the Geno cameo was replaced entirely. He didn't really contribute much to the game anyway, aside from being there and reminding people that Super Mario RPG exists.

And that appearance probably causes licensing annoyances everytime they want to re-release it.

Mcmadness said:
And that appearance probably causes licensing annoyances everytime they want to re-release it.
I don't remember if they ever actually say that it's Geno. Obviously, it's Geno, but maybe Nintendo can get away with it by saying that it's just a doll that coincidentally looks like a character that they have no rights to use.

Supreme Commander Fawful of the Digital Candy Troll Kingdom said:
They give credit to Square in the staff roll specifically for the character "Geno"
In that case, then Nintendo and Square are already cool with each other, so Nintendo probably doesn't need to bug Square about rereleases and whatnot.

licensing is why SMRPG took so long to get on the wii's VC

you'd think but you never can tell.

It's easier to opt out of reincluding him altogether and replacing him with something else.

Back