Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions

I don't think the enemy designs directly correlate with story, especially in this case since we already see the story is the same (so far, but lets be fair how likely is it going to be radically different later on?)

Other than enemy designs (which isn't a major gripe and won't affect story or gameplay, unless it changes hitboxes of dodging but that's still minor) I'm hyped as heck for this game, Superstar Saga is my second favorite Mario RPG and my favorite M&L game, I hope this is more successful than Paper Jam so AlphaDream can see what the fanbase wants more of :D

(Not that I don't already trust AlphaDream... they don't repeat mistakes like IS)

I don't think they need to see anything since they specifically said PJ was the way it was due to how many characters were already in it.

I'm just hoping minion quest is good, it's my primary interest in this.

It looks good, after all it seems to take inspiration from BIS (Bowser's minions vs enemies including brainwashed Bowser minions, Fawful even seems to be leading the enemies though I wonder where he finds time to do this since IIRC he is with Cackletta almost every time you encounter her)

I get the feeling some are just random monsters, others are minions trying to strike out on their own and then some might work for Fawful.

Course one can only imagine how this will end due to what happens in the main plot.

Supreme Commander Fawful of the Digital Candy Troll Kingdom said:
(Not that I don't already trust AlphaDream... they don't repeat mistakes like IS)
Supreme Commander Fawful of the Digital Candy Troll Kingdom said:
I know, I said I still trust them and they generally don't disappoint :D

AlphaDream has more autonomy, so it's fair to hold them responsible for trust. But Intelligent Systems cannot be blamed for trust issue and mistakes. It's the higher ups in Nintendo, like Miyamoto, that are responsible for the restrictions.

• What we do know is that AlphaDream fights back against Nintendo higher ups when restricted, and has more autonomy:
  • And Intelligent Systems on the other hand, gives in and obeys the Nintendo higher ups when restricted:
    • Color Splash: "Mario is not an IP that I created. From the position of someone borrowing the IP, I think it's only natural to show respect to the person who created it, and let that feeling of respect guide us. So when Miyamoto-san, the father of Mario, asks us "could you make a game with only characters from the Mario family?", I think it's only natural for us to give it our best shot. In other words, we are not currently thinking about returning to old NPCs. Incidentally, I do think Color Splash may have proven that we can still make a game entertaining, even if our original characters don't appear as NPCs. And with that belief, we will keep on continuing to do our best." -Tanabe, http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2016/12/28/afterwords-paper-mario-color-splash.aspx

Repression of story and original characters remains present in Paper Mario as Intelligent System submits to higher ups restrictions. But AlphaDream seemed to fight back and has since gained a lot more autonomy from Nintendo higher ups. So it's not so much about trusting the devs, the higher ups are typically the ones responsible.

I was able to hold it until I saw them abandon Iggy's old hair for Superstar. I lost it after that.
Only faith I got for it is the OST and the bro attacks.

While of course Superstar Saga is notable for being the last new game actually using sprites of the Koopalings having their old design (unlike Super Princess Peach), I'm 99% sure that the Paper Jam sprites were reused to spare time (and I suspect the same applies to the renewed original enemy design).

TheSuperStarSaga said:
Repression of story and original characters remains present in Paper Mario as Intelligent System submits to higher ups restrictions. But AlphaDream seemed to fight back and has since gained a lot more autonomy from Nintendo higher ups. So it's not so much about trusting the devs, the higher ups are typically the ones responsible.

I mean it's not like IS agreed with the higher-ups or anything.

Oh wait they did and were proud of what they made.

Development is not a one-way street with only one group to blame, IS is just as responsible as any of the "higher-ups" for the current state of Paper Mario and frankly after how awful the third game was they needed somebody to tell them to reign that shit in.

Koopaling revisionism belongs in the post 2010 era.
But no they can never keep their continuty pants on.
We're gonna have to do a remake of a remake.

PrinceLarryKoopa88 said:
I was able to hold it until I saw them abandon Iggy's old hair for Superstar. I lost it after that.
Only faith I got for it is the OST and the bro attacks.

Bro attacks changed a lot. Original was a lot more flashy with the green/red glow indicatora and faced pace. Not 100% sure how the number settings and speed settings will work for bros moves. But advanced has been changed so there's a chance the short battle scene of Mario having an epiphany and telling Luigi the plan with a wink, and Luigi going "oh yeah ;D" might be removed.

Mister Wu said:
While of course Superstar Saga is notable for being the last new game actually using sprites of the Koopalings having their old design (unlike Super Princess Peach), I'm 99% sure that the Paper Jam sprites were reused to spare time (and I suspect the same applies to the renewed original enemy design).
I'm pretty sure even if they had the choice and Paper Jam didn't exist, Iggy Koopa's going to be changed.

PrinceLarryKoopa88 said:
At least they didn't make his arms blue.

LeftyGreenMario said:
Mister Wu said:
I'm pretty sure even if they had the choice and Paper Jam didn't exist, Iggy Koopa's going to be changed.
In the new games from AlphaDream, sure, but even though they were pretty irrelevant in the story, had easy battles and didn't even talk, the return of the Koopalings in SuperStar Saga, while they were supposed to be gone for good - Bowser Jr. should have had replaced them since SMS, as the GCN spin-offs showed -, and their latest appearance before the NSMBW redesign was inevitably a relevant thing.
If they had to start from scratch for this remake, I doubt they'd bother making the new design for Iggy when the old design was important, unless said sprite was then going to be reused in the future games - and it would not have likely been the case, as the 3DS is pretty old by now.

Magikrazy said:
PrinceLarryKoopa88 said:
At least they didn't make his arms blue.
True but they gave him Hepatits.

Speaking of the koopalings, one of these days the fanbase needs to band together and make noise about them no longer being Bowser's children. It's a slap in the face to their characters, and benefits no one.

TheSuperStarSaga said:
Speaking of the koopalings, one of these days the fanbase needs to band together and make noise about them no longer being Bowser's children. It's a slap in the face to their characters, and benefits no one.
Except Miyamoto and his dislike of story in Mario. :lol:

Well, it negates some long-established fan headcanons that Peach bear the Koopalings and that's a good thing for Peach, so you're wrong.

TheSuperStarSaga said:

I have connections with koopaling fandom on deviantart. I'll talk with some of them but some of my friends left so I am only familiar with fewer people :P

I couldn't care less about their relationship with Bowser. He never treated em like anything more than glorified minions anyhow.

LeftyGreenMario said:
Well, it negates some long-established fan headcanons that Peach bear the Koopalings and that's a good thing for Peach, so you're wrong.
Nah, that headcanon continued well beyond that, just with Bowser Jr. (remember, SMS is the reason why the headcanon exists at all), it even finished in Star League...
JsBE2jt.png

Koopalings would absolutely Bowser's children not Peach's.

What do you think will be the next koopaling revision?
Larry with blue arms, Iggy with another haircut, Two Wendy's?

Anyone else feel like Alpha Dream is running out of steam a bit for this series?

I mean this is what, the third game in 4 years now?

Don't get me wrong it looks good but I can't help but feel maybe they need to find something else to do for a few years then come back feeling fresh?

Nothing but good can come if Alpha Dream takes over Paper Mario and applies the same love they apply for Mario & Luigi into the original Paper Mario formula. And they wouldn't even need to git gud at 3D models, simply the same style of maps DT and PJ have would work in a Paper Mario game, the characters are still sprites.

Back