Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions

Mcmadness said:
Anyone else feel like Alpha Dream is running out of steam a bit for this series?

I mean this is what, the third game in 4 years now?

Don't get me wrong it looks good but I can't help but feel maybe they need to find something else to do for a few years then come back feeling fresh?
Not really tbh, the games that they're making are still fun, although I would like to see at least anew artstyle or a new console or something to freshen things up, maybe make a spin-off where you only play as Bowser or something idk.

I can't think of any other games for them to make really, what else would they do? A Kirby RPG would be nice but that's just me dreaming.

Personally, I think it would be good for the fanbase to lay off both the Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi for at least a decade.

I don't care if it's a traditional game or not. I'm pretty jaded at this point.

If they don't make a new game the fanbase will complain. If they make a new game, the fanbase will still complain. I'd rather they just keep making quality games honestly, just ignore the idiot fans.

Alpha Dream making a Paper Mario game sounds interesting actually, I wouldn't mind seeing where they would go with that.

Myeah, sounds good, although they should stick with the artstyle, I like it the way it is.

To be honest, seeing that M&L:Paper Jam was a crossover, it is no wonder why it lacks in the traditional original feel of the series, and who knows, Alphadream can then come back to the old formula. If they take over Paper Mario, the series is as good as it was in its early years.

I bet if they did do PM, it still wouldn't be like how it was before.

It would be closer, heck Paper Jam was closer to the first 2 Paper Mario games in terms of gameplay than Sticker Star or Color Splash were, you had Paper Mario leveling up from EXP for the first time in so long. And if it was a full on Paper Mario title, they wouldn't have to juggle 2 of every character and could bring back OCs, make some new partner characters, etc. And integrate some paper versions of M&L characters even, like TTYD slightly touched on with the bartenders.

I doubt it. If anything they'd probably just make it more like M&L with Paper Luigi instead.

And they'd probably not bother with old characters and just make more of their own since they don't bother with serious storytelling.

But how else will we ever know about the fates and lore of Chet Rippo, Fishmael, Smorg, Dr. Snoozemore, and, of course, Shelltops???

Zee cake is not moving!

Don't worry, they kept Chef Torte around in spirit by continuing to write characters with completely out-of-nowhere offensive stereotypes and TOTALLY HILARIOUS accents (yet not even Luigi, who screams stereotype, speaks in a "hilarious" accent for dialogue), which if it weren't for those two, you would just think they're "normal".

Mcmadness said:
Anyone else feel like Alpha Dream is running out of steam a bit for this series?

I mean this is what, the third game in 4 years now?

Don't get me wrong it looks good but I can't help but feel maybe they need to find something else to do for a few years then come back feeling fresh?

I personally don't think they're running out of steam yet, but it's inevitable for all game series sadly. I did skip Paper Jam though since it looked like a half effort.

I agree though, it would be nice to them to take a break for 1 game or 2. Maybe make another Tomato Adventure or do what they wanna do. I'd hate for them to get bored, since My&L is my favorite game series.

Mcmadness said:
And they'd probably not bother with old characters and just make more of their own since they don't bother with serious storytelling.

Dream Team had a pretty fantastic story though. Dreams Deep moments, the emotional bromance scenes, and Giant Luigi were all great. Never before has Luigi been so developed as a character.

Luigi's Mansion

I find it very sad that this series is the main point of discussion for Mario lore, when it doesn't even have as much of a varied cast.

memoryman3 said:
I find it very sad that this series is the main point of discussion for Mario lore, when it doesn't even have as much of a varied cast.
I feel like the only other spin-off with more characters is Paper Mario, and given that we don't currently have a Paper Mario game coming up...

Gatorade said:
memoryman3 said:
I feel like the only other spin-off with more characters is Paper Mario, and given that we don't currently have a Paper Mario game coming up...

I mean :daisy: :dk: :diddy: :rosalina: :wario:

memoryman3 said:

I talk about non rpg lore all the time.

Besides, I don't care about much beyond the bros, bowser, peach and their respective kingdoms.

Oh and wario land and DKC.

Same.

Heck, in my fanon, Paper Mario doesn't even exist, even prior to Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam. The only thing I do use is the design of Mario's house, but everything else in Paper Mario isn't really missed. The only Mario & Luigi with some influence on my "lore" is Partners in Time.

Personally I think (most of) the RPGs have too many events in them that would logically be considered "big" or at least notable in the context of a timeline (compared to most other games) to ignore.

Paper Mario... I consider the first 3 games to be things that actually happened (especially 64, since we've seen some characters from it in 3D games) and they are simply being told by a narrator using a paper art style to convey the plot. Sticker Star (and by extension the paper part of Paper Jam since it's clearly using that iteration of the characters) could be a very simplified version of Paper Mario 64 with many changes and liberties taken and written as a children's story book (hence the interludes having a poem of sorts and how they and the credits look like paper puppets instead of the more "alive" feeling characters in the older games)

Color Splash is the result of someone finding the Sticker Star book and deciding to write a sequel to it without any knowledge of what it is originally derived from. This person also missed the memo that it was for children since they added darker elements into it such as Bowser being possessed by black paint. But I feel this stuff more belongs in the headcanon thread lol.

Back