Things you didn't notice before in Mario games

You can mess around with Luigi's facial features--and the game logo, too--on Dream Team's title screen.

Also, in Sticker Star and Paper Jam, the shine on the shiny stickers/cards moves when you tilt the 3DS.

That it doesn't actually say L is Real and it's just a blurred sign texture

Seriously, it took my entire lifetime to realize that you can't read it, I just took other people's word for it

Might just be me, but it took me forever to notice that the Mario 64 healthbar is in the shape of Mario's head.
d565gul-37f82dac-2e29-4266-9f5f-b98fdc86fed1.png

This kinda reminds me of a non-mario game, Sonic Mania, where the island in the title screen is in the shape of Sonic's head.
DLfunl8XcAEejJN.jpg

Oh lol, it also took me way longer than it should (read: years) to realize that too.

I used to think the shape used in the transition after getting a star was supposed to be Mario's peace sign, referencing how he makes that gesture when you get a star. Wasn't till later I finally realized it was the shape of his head.

A few days ago, I found out that there was a shortcut in GBA Luigi Circuit, on one of the last turns. It was very obscure, on a semi-obscure track, and it doesn't appear in MKDS. Probably one of the least-known shortcuts in the series

Also Mario Kart related but it probably took me way longer than it should to realize the B Dasher refers to the standard controls of the Mario platformers and how B was the accelerate button in Super Mario Kart.

Princess Mario said:
Also Mario Kart related but it probably took me way longer than it should to realize the B Dasher refers to the standard controls of the Mario platformers and how B was the accelerate button in Super Mario Kart.
I had no idea until you told me. Dang, that's cool.

that's perfectly fitting for a game that's 80% recycled assets

Bob-omb Battlefield, Cool Cool Mountain, and the Slide themes are just variants of each other so...

It's a pattern in most Mario games. Or even in many non-Mario games.

There's always a little set of notes that is repeated in many songs, but the instrumentation and rythm makes them different.

On that subject of musical reuse, a lot of SPM's soundtrack uses the motifs from either Flipside or Count Bleck's theme (in some cases both, like Castle Bleck and Bounding through Time)

It's really cool how many moods can be achieved with one or two strings of notes based on the instrumentation, key or tempo. Count Bleck's theme can sound intimidating and evil, or emotional and powerful just based on how it's used.

I mean it's cool when an ost does that, gives it its own identity in a way, but at the same time when you realize that all songs have similar melodies they kinda become a bit less special individually.

So yeah. I prefer varied soudtracks.

Bandana Waddle Dee said:
Pretty much every theme in World and Sunshine is a variation of that game's respective main theme so...
That's why I knock on the soundtrack of these games. Smash Bros. also isn't immune to me knocking on it. You get tired of hearing those themes so much you just want them to ever play in another game again. There are also some other overplayed Mario songs like Gusty Garden and the underground theme that I'm really sick of. And there are also songs in Galaxy 2 like Sky Station Galaxy and Fluffy Buff; and Fossil Kingdom's music in Super Mario Odyssey; like they follow a pattern to Good Egg Galaxy, or that's how it feels.

Forde said:
I mean it's cool when an ost does that, gives it its own identity in a way, but at the same time when you realize that all songs have similar melodies they kinda become a bit less special individually.

So yeah. I prefer varied soudtracks.
Same here, as explained above. To me, having variations of a track can unify a theme of the game, but overreliance comes off as lazy and uninteresting.

My problem with Sky Station Galaxy/Theme of SMG2 is that they're just the same song with very few or minor differences, rather then using a motif or being lazy and just arranging the same song like the modern Smash games and Super Mario World do.

True dat.

Mario Galaxy 1 actually does a bit of rearranging itself but I feel it's actually pretty subtle there.

Or maybe that's just my bias deafening me.

this remnids me how mario odyssey's credits theme is jsut Fossil Falls But Slightly Different and its honestly disappointing

Back