2001: A Mario Odyssey

Screw those terrible "lol long levels with everything but the kitchen sink mashed together and no checkpoints"

I will use that exploit and I will be very very happy to use it.

Progress so far: reached Bowser's Castle, but haven't done anything worthwhile there yet.

I have finally seen what this "out-of-place boss for a Mario game" looks like!
Unless I am mistaken, the Dragon boss is what everybody was referring to in their spoilers because I doubt Knucklotec is unexpected by Mario standards. And I must admit that it looks scary in part due to how realistic it is, and how Bowser managed to control this big beast somehow. On the other hand, the boss fight is not as difficult as I thought.

About Ruined Kingdom, I thought it would be something akin to the Ruins theme in many games, with just ruined architecture but in bright places, instead of a castle area that is a dark and dreary medieval tower.

I have finally overcome the two tough minigames in New Donk City and Bubblaine! I followed the moped trick and the 2P Cappy trick in order to overcome them, but I managed to get the 100 point Moons from either. The New Donk City is incredibly tense and a bit inconvenient due to the moped being tricky to position, but eventually managed to do it. The 2P Cappy trick is great mainly because Cappy moves really quickly, making it very good for returning the ball back. From my Friends list, I noticed that there are three others who overcome the challenge (Crackin55, Gamefreak75 and Freakworld).

For Luncheon Kingdom, there is a second golden turnip in a seemingly unreachable place (hint: not the ones near the soup and in the cheese blocks). I managed to reach there using a Hammer Bro to boost my jump and just reaching that place, but how do you normally go to the area with the second golden turnip?

Thank you for reading.

winstein said:
For New Donk City's Jump Rope minigame, how did you all do in this game? I have only managed to get 92 jumps at maximum with the moped trick, while only 58 if using regular jumps. When I looked at the leaderboards, I noticed that out of the 5 other friends playing the game, only 2 managed to get over 100 jumps (Freakworld and Gamefreak75), while the others got less than 50. Perhaps I should do this again when I can, but this is one of the hardest minigames I have encountered.
I waltzed[1] in, haven't even tried the minigame before aside from watching my friend attempt and fail, and I got around 117 with a bunch of short hops. Mainly, I was playing this for my friend who had an enormous trouble. The hardest part for me was getting the first jump in, lol. The trick to this minigame is to short hop: tap A lightly. If you played a lot of Smash Bros. and you're good short hopping in Smash Bros., this minigame is no problem. I think it's easy once you get a rhythm going.

[1] fittingly enough, I was the beautiful Wedding Dress Mario

I found out the natural solution for Mount Volbono's second turnip! You are supposed to...
Use the Lava Bubble cannon to go over the area and escape the Capture.

LeftyGreenMario said:
winstein said:
For New Donk City's Jump Rope minigame, how did you all do in this game? I have only managed to get 92 jumps at maximum with the moped trick, while only 58 if using regular jumps. When I looked at the leaderboards, I noticed that out of the 5 other friends playing the game, only 2 managed to get over 100 jumps (Freakworld and Gamefreak75), while the others got less than 50. Perhaps I should do this again when I can, but this is one of the hardest minigames I have encountered.
I waltzed[1] in, haven't even tried the minigame before aside from watching my friend attempt and fail, and I got around 117 with a bunch of short hops. Mainly, I was playing this for my friend who had an enormous trouble. The hardest part for me was getting the first jump in, lol. The trick to this minigame is to short hop: tap A lightly. If you played a lot of Smash Bros. and you're good short hopping in Smash Bros., this minigame is no problem. I think it's easy once you get a rhythm going.

[1] fittingly enough, I was the beautiful Wedding Dress Mario

As I have mentioned in my last post, I finally made it, although through using the scooter because its short and quick hops are consistent, making life easier for me. It's not the most elegant solution due to some of you doing natural jumps to accomplish the challenge, but I like that you can do this because some people can have difficulty doing light presses continuously like me.

Thank you for reading.

I understand. I think all those times of playing Smash Bros. and Mario Party made it easy but overall, it's not a super fun challenge. I think I can go as long as I want to, but I got bored extremely quickly after the moon flew out.

I'm still failing at it despite playing Smash Bros. at tournaments :D

What's the intended way of entering the floating inverted pyramit in Sand Kingdom from the bottom?
The 2D section which has a moon in a secret area is not accessible from the top of the pyramid which can be reached by electric wires, so it must be possible to reach the entrance at the bottom. However, the only way I found to do this was using the infinity flying glitch with Glydon.
Is there another way to reach the pyramid's bottom entrance after it raised off the ground, or is this a major oversight by the developers?

Has anybody used the NES filter when taking snapshots? I have never found a time when NES would be good to use, since the environments in Mario Odyssey have bright colours that the NES's limited palette won't do them justice. I have only taken one snapshot using the Game Boy filter, but only in an indoor area (Mount Volbono's Crazy Cap shop). At least the SNES is still pretty colourful, which I prefer.

Thank you for reading.

I have finished this game! While I understand that there are many Luigi fans here who wished he's got some involvement in this game, I am quite keen on the Mario, Peach and Bowser dynamic shown here, and to a lesser extent in Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine (two games that are incidentally completely absent of Luigi, unless you want to count Green Mario as Luigi). One of the complaints regarding Mario I have seen is that Mario's not known for his wide range of expressions (something Luigi has in spades), so it's great that this game opened up Mario to a wide range of expressions that you don't normally see.

Thank you for reading.

Hi! I'm totally new here! ;D

So I just 100%ed the game, and had a blast. Don't know what else to say about the game.

I did notice a cool little thing on the map when you're choosing the kingdom that nobody else has posted about, and that's the shapes of the kingdoms, or little details on them. (Kingdom spoiler alert!)
The Mushroom, Cap and Cascade Kingdoms look pretty clearly like a 1-up 'Shroom, top hat and a dino skull respectively, the mountains in the Sand Kingdom form upside-down triangles that look a bit like the Inverted Pyramid, the landmass above the Lake Kingdom has ripples that look like the walls of the lake, the Wooded Kingdom has pine tree-like peninsulas jutting out, the isles of the Lost Kingdom resemble the trees found there, I can't find anything about the Metro Kingdom,
The piece of land with the Snow Kingdom looks like a snowflake, you can see a island looking like a spraying bottle below the Seaside Kingdom, and the Ruined Kingdom is positioned on a peninsula that looks like a dragon wing.

Also,
if you sit down in one of the chairs in the Odyssey, Cappy will hop onto the other, and eventually begin admiring your souvenirs.

ive been working through some of the post game challenges and im not sure im going to bother finishing this game. a lot of these challenges are just not fun and are making me frustrated and i really don't know if it's worth all this effort

How do you all name the individual levels? I normally name them by the locations they are found in, rather than the Kingdom names. For example, Bonneton, Tostarena and Fossil Falls. I think most people name them by the Kingdoms except for New Donk City, which is probably the only place people name by the location rather than the Kingdom.

In case you cannot tell what I mean, the Koopa races are unlocked if you have beaten the game.

I have beaten many of the Koopa races, but the ones I haven't beaten yet are: Lake Lamode, Forgotten Isles, Mount Volbono and Honeylune Ridge. I haven't started on the Dark sides of the Moon, so I cannot comment on them.

The race I found the hardest so far is in Steam Gardens, which requires using a shortcut to skip the vertical maze, since the gold Koopa used it. Basically the gold Koopa will long jump, and then do the hat dive. I have difficulty finding out how to do this technique, but I just followed the gold Koopa to finish it.

Thank you for reading.

I love this outfit

NyOp8C.jpg

But it gives me PTSD for the lack of Flight Suit Koopas in Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowsers Minions.
TFW a mainline Mario game has more creativity than a Mario RPG... goddammit.

TheSuperStarSaga said:
Yeah, thats always been the case. NSMB series aside.

winstein said:
How do you all name the individual levels?

Hutland, Kaskadenland, Wüste, See, Wald, Insel, Stadt, Küstenland, Polarland, Schlemmerland, Ruinenland, Bowsers Land, Mondland, Pilz-Königreich, Finstere Seite, Stockfinstere Seite

Mcmadness said:
TheSuperStarSaga said:

"Mario is not our IP" was literally a quote from one of the RPG directors. They are probably afraid to not play it safe. It's why I never really gave them my time.

freakworld said:
winstein said:
How do you all name the individual levels?

Hutland, Kaskadenland, Wüste, See, Wald, Insel, Stadt, Küstenland, Polarland, Schlemmerland, Ruinenland, Bowsers Land, Mondland, Pilz-Königreich, Finstere Seite, Stockfinstere Seite

Altough I'm from Austria and speak German, I often use the English names for the Mario Odyssey worlds, as those are used in Speedrun guides, commentary and forums. Similarly, I prefer the English names and abbreviations in Super Mario 64.

Have started watching PackAttack's playthorugh series on Youtube.

Pretty cool graphics (of course), and the first (at least that I've noticed), to show unbounded underwater scenes. (The 3D games I'm familiar with: Galaxy 2, 3DL and [from watching) 3DW always seemed to encase you in a stone passageway).

Overall, it seems like Sunshine, especially with having to clean up the purple stuff on the ground, and then taking over that creature with the water jet, and just the different settings in general.

I'm not into the "free roaming" (or whatever that's called); I liked the definite goal of the 2D games, and 3DL/W, and even with Galaxy, things were pretty confined on the little planets. So i don't plan to get this one. (Did get to try it in Nintendo World, and it was in the forest with the T-Rex, and I didn't know how to get out. I guess you needed the special hat, and he didn't have it on. Plan to play it there again, and hoe I can find one in other areas, especially New Donk City).

Still only have a Wii, and so if we ever do get the Switch; I hope they eventually do allow 3DW to be playable on it. That's the one I still would like to do.

I want aviator Mario ripped so I can make Baby Luigi wear that outfit

memoryman3 said:
Mcmadness said:
TheSuperStarSaga said:

"Mario is not our IP" was literally a quote from one of the RPG directors. They are probably afraid to not play it safe. It's why I never really gave them my time.
That quote was referring to a game that was controversial even among RPG fans and the 'afraid to not play it safe' thing mostly started with Sticker Star, with it and Color Splash being the most obviously affected by it. I'm not sure how anyone could think Super Paper Mario played it safe. Even if you don't like it, it took a lot of risks which isn't really deniable. Talking in terms of locations, characters and story here. And it applies to TTYD as well, slightly less but still applies.

I'd argue sticker star and CS weren't safe either, just for different reasons unrelated to what characters they used.

I have gotten all the available Moons, and now my sail has changed to reflect this! It was an interesting quest to be sure, so right now I have to unlock enough coins to buy more Moons and a costume that I haven't gotten yet, which is...
Bowser's Wedding Outfit

I have to admit that I have to use Assist Mode on...
Long Journey's End, which is the only (multi) Moon in Darker Side of the Moon, because some of the challenges are kind of tricky for someone who has never gone through them. The farthest I have gotten without Assist Mode on was to the one with the Pulse Beams and the Burrbos (those spiky enemies that comes in herds). The parts that come after that are surprisingly not as difficult as I thought.

There's an interesting interview on 4Gamer regarding this game: http://nintendoeverything.com/super-mario-odyssey-producer-on-approach-to-development-theme-song-pauline-higher-age-rating-more/

One interesting part is how the developers don't merely develop a level around the locale, but instead they come up with the design of the level before they decided on the theme. Another interesting thing is that Tostarena is Mexican-themed instead of Egyptian themes (as would be assumed because sandy desert = Egypt) because the director Kenta Motokura is fascinated with his trip to Mexico and wanted to reflect that in-game. It's for the best in any case because Mexicans enjoyed a form of Mexican representation in Mario games.

One of the comments was made on how this is a Mario game that is at a level higher in game rating (CERO B instead of CERO A, with A basically means "E for Everyone"). Koizumi theorised that it might be the changing standards of game ratings, and guessed that one of the factors is the realistic-looking tanks (for any Mario fan, they are called Sherms), but is not bothered with the idea since Mario games aren't specifically targeted for any one demographic.

Finally, the idea to bring back Pauline is due to being a city-based location (New Donk City), and Pauline is the type of person you find in a city-based location. They have the idea of making her a Princess, but they decided on a Mayor instead, because cities typically don't have princesses.

Thank you for reading.

Back