2001: A Mario Odyssey

I'm frustrated by Ubisoft more than I outright hate them. They'll release games that are friggin' fantastic, then turn around and shit out another Unity.

Tuxedo Ridley said:
I'm frustrated by Ubisoft more than I outright hate them. They'll release games that are friggin' fantastic, then turn around and shit out another Unity.
The quality of their games are usually the same (Unity aside), it's just that all of them suffer from massive feature bloat. The more collectibles, the better, and whatnot. Zelda doesn't usually have that problem, so I'm much more optimistic.

I also need to mention Homefront: The Revolution, another open-world style game that let down everyone that was eventually forgotten.

So seeing all of these failed open-world games make me worry that Super Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild will fall into traps these games had done.

Again, Nintendo has never released a buggy game to the point of these, nor have they scaled back on their promises like Ubisoft has done but there's always a first time. Maybe they hadn't caught in. Maybe they still have a shred of integrity left when promoting their games (which they still do since they emphasize gameplay rather than CG trailers and voice actor voice embedding).

Time Turner said:
Tuxedo Ridley said:
The quality of their games are usually the same (Unity aside), it's just that all of them suffer from massive feature bloat. The more collectibles, the better, and whatnot. Zelda doesn't usually have that problem, so I'm much more optimistic.
Eh, the collectibles aren't that ba-
flashback to AC1
...I concede the point.
Edit:
LeftyGreenMario said:
I also need to mention Homefront: The Revolution, another open-world style game that let down everyone that was eventually forgotten.
This must be the first time I've heard of Homefront in years. I remember hearing hype about it at school, and then one day it just vanished. So I'm gonna take it that it sucked.

Tuxedo Ridley said:
Time Turner said:
Tuxedo Ridley said:
flashback to AC1
...I concede the point.
AC1 is practically barren compared to newer installments, and that was the game where every square inch was dotted by a flag.

LeftyGreenMario said:
No.

Some levels are just bigger and have more ground and features a little variation in how you approach the goal. But other levels are pretty much one-way or super confined to the point of being like that. Slides, Rainbow Ride, Tall Tall Mountain, Lethal Lava Land, the Pyramid. A lot of levels feature ways to get around, but they're not as expansive as you think. Not close to open-world.

This game so far seems to have some features of sand-box, but I'm hoping we'll get good interaction. I'm hoping this won't fall into the trap a lot of open-world games have nowadays. Keep in mind, open world is becoming a fad, and many, many AAA titles are botching it.
I was saying that Super Mario Odyssey has pretty much the same gameplay as Super Mario 64 expect with larger areas, not that SM64 was open-world.

Time Turner said:
Tuxedo Ridley said:
Time Turner said:
Tuxedo Ridley said:
flashback to AC1
...I concede the point.
AC1 is practically barren compared to newer installments, and that was the game where every square inch was dotted by a flag.
I always felt AC1 was the worst one, the collectibles were barely visible and they made 0 effort to give you a way to keep track of them. I 100%ed at least two of the later games in the series and couldn't be bothered to even pick any up in passing with 1.

Tuxedo Ridley said:
This must be the first time I've heard of Homefront in years. I remember hearing hype about it at school, and then one day it just vanished. So I'm gonna take it that it sucked.
Oh, man, it did. At best, the sequel is just an average ho-hum game. At worst, it's bug-ridden. It's filled with errand quests, and the multiplayer is gutted.

I haven't played it, but I think just a few seconds of three people stuck and running in place next to a generator is what sums this game up.

Luigi 64DD said:
I was saying that Super Mario Odyssey has pretty much the same gameplay as Super Mario 64 expect with larger areas, not that SM64 was open-world.
It was hard to tell. You asked. "Isn't that what SM64 was?" And I thought you were referring to my "open world" statement, not the latter part of that.

Re: Super Mario Odyssey

winstein said:
One thing I noticed: it seems that New Donk City has some red girders, which is very good because at least the developers remember that Donkey Kong (the game) is part of Mario's history, and is not forgotten like I assumed (I thought anything pre-Super Mario Bros. were ignored in regards to Mario history).

Thanks for reading.

I'm hoping for Pauline to have a minor role because of New Donk City's Donkey Kong references. I know, it's wishful thinking.

MnSG said:
There has to be some reason why Peach is wearing a wedding dress after all
Bowser forced her to wear it, most likely.

Not sure why that wouldn't be the answer.

Really hyped for this game (that dancing scene is probably my favorite), but what I'm most excited for is that they're saying it'll be more like SM64 or Sunshine. Does that mean the star missions will return (or something similar)? I certainly hope so!

Bowser sure looks smart in that wedding tux.

And I'm going to guess Pauline, Donkey, Diddy, Waluigi and Daisy might get minor roles in this.

Nintendo probably messed up on that. It is in fact Earth while the globe in the logo as well as in the game do not like like Earth's geography.

EDIT: The boxart is fake.

just letting people know that the two similar Odyssey topics have been merged so we don't end up jumping between them for months

anyway this looks pretty cool, things could change but it certainly has my interest for now

ArthurEngine said:

And I'm going to guess Pauline, Donkey, Diddy, Waluigi and Daisy might get minor roles in this.
Why would Waluigi show up and not Wario?

They want to make the spiritual successor to Mario Tennis: Power Tour

Magikrazy said:
ArthurEngine said:

Why would Waluigi show up and not Wario?
InklccR.png

Too bad they didn't use the human characters from the old Golf and Tennis games as the NPCs, instead of these out-of-place realistic ones.

Funny coincidence that this all was revealed very shortly after I posted my desire for the human characters to return.

How the music fits well with Bowser's appearance.

After looking at the following image more thoroughly, something kind of dawned on me...

SMO_Rabbits_Quartet.PNG

The hats look rather identical to Bowser's hat with the designs.

SMO_Bowser_Peach.PNG

It makes you wonder if Bowser's hat is also a magician's hat, and those four rabbits came with the deal. If that theory is right, then perhaps the rabbits are not entirely evil, and only fight Mario because they're forced to do Bowser's bidding. And when Bowser is defeated, the rabbits get freed from his control.

Not a likely theory though, since the rabbits do look malevolent.

Back