2001: A Mario Odyssey

Re: Super Mario Odyssey

Now that I think about it, I wonder what role the four rabbit villains will have. It's shown that Mario will have to face them, but you also have to wonder if they're the ones who gave Bowser and his various minions the different hats that exist. And yes, I somehow caught on that the Hammer Bro is wearing a cook's hat, and throwing frying pans.

Nabber said:
EpH7jRs.png

so uh

bowser checkpoint

guess linear levels are still a thing

May be a fast-travel point of some kind if there's a sandbox format.

Mister Wu said:
Now that the Void was eradicated and the Dark Prognosticus has been proven wrong, I don't see a single valid reason why I should prevent this from happening
C2BkEa3UcAE4cux.jpg:large

Nintendo, can you give me another reason to beat Bowser, please?

Peach looks like she doesn't want to be there, even 10 years after SPM. Like jeez, get used to it.

About New Donk City... How did :dk: get his own city? Will he show up in the game? Does this mean that other Mario series characters will show up? :koopa:

the thing with new donk city seems to be that streets, shops etc. are named after donkey kong characters. it'd be a nice surprise if nintendo brought them back but i wouldn't really expect it.

either way for the name alone it's my new favourite location. :dk::thumbup:

also the checkpoint flag is somewhere to respawn after you die. i don't see how it can't do that without levels still being less linear.

Maybe there will be changeable hats, since you can see this "Crazy Cap" shop at both New Donk City and Muddy Sand Land.

Maybe you can upgrade your hats?

Yes, maybe Mario'll eventually rival Bowser's fanciness.

Nothing will be able to compete with that majestic hat.

Okay, after 3d land and 3d world, I still kind of expected an open world game, BUT THIS IS A LOT MORE!!!! WE DON'T USUALLY GET THAT STUFF FROM NINTENDO NOWADAYS OM*G!!!!!

I mean seriously tho, when was the last time we actually got a metropolis as a level in a Mario game?

after witnessing it in scmj's reaction video i can say im pumped an i may get that when it comes out later this year, good job nintendo.

And that's only the trailer, so there's a lot more to it than just that. I litterally sounded like a baby after watching the reveal, so you pratically can't imagine how I will sound after I actually look at the full game.

This game looks weird and that's great. It's nice to have something new and interesting once in a while.

Mario's hair though, it's amazing.

I wonder what they mean by SM64-style platforming. They call it "open-world", but it's just linear platforming in a more cohesive, bigger environment. Not open-world by any stretch.

Well Nintendo isn't calling it open world, more sandbox. Which is a slightly more fitting term.

LeftyGreenMario said:
I wonder what they mean by SM64-style platforming. They call it "open-world", but it's just linear platforming in a more cohesive, bigger environment. Not open-world by any stretch.
Isn't that what SM64 was?

I would have to play this game before actually comparing it to the previous 3D Mario games, but then again, it might be a hard decision. By the way, Nintendo has Bowser-and-Peach-marrying-each-other and an-open-world ideas that my game includes. There are some differences, but those two ideas are the two of the main ideas. And since it comes out in the holiday season, I wouldn't miss the launch of the game if I get the system by then.

No.

Some levels are just bigger and have more ground and features a little variation in how you approach the goal. But other levels are pretty much one-way or super confined to the point of being like that. Slides, Rainbow Ride, Tall Tall Mountain, Lethal Lava Land, the Pyramid. A lot of levels feature ways to get around, but they're not as expansive as you think. Not close to open-world.

This game so far seems to have some features of sand-box, but I'm hoping we'll get good interaction. I'm hoping this won't fall into the trap a lot of open-world games have nowadays. Keep in mind, open world is becoming a fad, and many, many AAA titles are botching it.

LeftyGreenMario said:
No.

Some levels are just bigger and have more ground and features a little variation in how you approach the goal. But other levels are pretty much one-way or super confined to the point of being like that. Slides, Rainbow Ride, Tall Tall Mountain, Lethal Lava Land, the Pyramid. A lot of levels feature ways to get around, but they're not as expansive as you think. Not close to open-world.

This game so far seems to have some features of sand-box, but I'm hoping we'll get good interaction. I'm hoping this won't fall into the trap a lot of open-world games have nowadays. Keep in mind, open world is becoming a fad, and many, many AAA titles are botching it.

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild says otherwise, but then again it could be just that one being great.

Yoshi the SSM said:
LeftyGreenMario said:
No.

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild says otherwise, but then again it could be just that one being great.
I'd say it's a bit early to say Breath of the Wild is great considering the game hasn't even been released yet

Remember, No Man's Sky looked great. Mafia III looked great. The Division looked great. Look how they turned out. Empty and/or filled with filler. I don't think Nintendo would stoop to lies and broken promises like No Man's and The Division, but anyway, I'm still optimistic about Nintendo. So far.

I doubt Nintendo would go as far as outright lying, but it's very possible they just won't be able to fill the expectations they set up. Companies love hype, but if you can't meet it...backlash WILL ensue.

And remember, when you're watching a game trailer, you are seeing ONLY what the developer wants you to see. Stuff like this could be all over the game and you'd never see it until post-release.

Nintendo has the power to downgrade their game Ubisoft style and I leave luck to heaven they don't do that.

Back