2001: A Mario Odyssey

LeftyGreenMario said:
Oh, and I don't like how the female one has to be the "pretty" one. I thought we're past this shit, Nintendo.
Don't exactly see how the girl rabbit is "pretty". And saying you're "done with this shit" implies this is a huge problem with Mario games but I honestly can't think of many female Mario characters I'd consider "pretty" besides Peach, Daisy, Rosalina, Pauline and Captain Syrup, and that drops down to just the latter when we're only talking female villains. Even then, none of these characters feel like they're only there for eye candy.

i was getting more of a gothic kind of impression from the female rabbit but whatever

im not going to shit myself over gender politics in a mario game

Magikrazy said:
LeftyGreenMario said:
Oh, and I don't like how the female one has to be the "pretty" one. I thought we're past this shit, Nintendo.
Don't exactly see how the girl rabbit is "pretty". And saying you're "done with this shit" implies this is a huge problem with Mario games but I honestly can't think of many female Mario characters I'd consider "pretty" besides Peach, Daisy, Rosalina, Pauline and Captain Syrup, and that drops down to just the latter when we're only talking female villains. Even then, none of these characters feel like they're only there for eye candy.
Not that I disagree with your point, but those five essentially make up the main female characters in the Mario series (besides, what, Toadette? Dixie? Bow?).

PowerKamek said:
Why is this thread called 2001: A Mario Odyssey?
In reference to a dumb movie
Time Turner said:
Magikrazy said:
LeftyGreenMario said:
Not that I disagree with your point, but those five essentially make up the main female characters in the Mario series (besides, what, Toadette? Dixie? Bow?).
Well not Pauline and Captain Syrup, but yeah the other three are the most prominent female characters, along with Toadette, Birdo, and Wendy.

I remember seeing somewhere that there was a "Squawks" reference in New Donk City: can anyone tell me where to spot that?

Shokora said:
I remember seeing somewhere that there was a "Squawks" reference in New Donk City: can anyone tell me where to spot that?

C2CinKvWIAEpbzF.jpg

Nice!

Ima try making a New Donk City street map.

fun fact: the head of my film club also did not understand the reference

MnSG said:
PowerKamek said:
Why is this thread called 2001: A Mario Odyssey?

I asked that same question as well.

it's a reference to the seminal motion picture drama The Hottie and the Nottie

Shokora said:
This one
7IocG9r.png

is shown when Mario throws his cap while jumping.

Anyway, jokes aside, and apart from the Sonic06y vibes of the introduction (why did they choose New Donk City, pretty much the main and probably only place with realistic-looking humans?), I really like the direction of this: I appreciated the exploration-based 3D Mario games and - no matter how badly handled were the Koopalings after it, it's not Bowser Jr.'s fault nor the game's fault - how Super Mario Sunshine wanted to expand the Mario universe with new characters and recognizable, memorable locations. This games wants to do that again, and I'm really content because of that, I want to see what they will add! If they let Koizumi handle the simple story we might even end up with those bunnies being interesting characters after all!

Glowsquid said:

I don't remember hearing about that movie. Maybe that's why I was very confused.

MnSG said:
Glowsquid said:

I don't remember hearing about that movie. Maybe that's why I was very confused.

oh for the love of....

So I made an accurate and scale map of New Donk City. Should it go on the wiki?

kUDONC1.png

Tuxedo Ridley said:
I'm frustrated by Ubisoft more than I outright hate them. They'll release games that are friggin' fantastic, then turn around and *bleep* out another Unity.

Speaking of Ubisoft (and "Unity"), am I the only one who thinks of Grow Home when I see this?

SMO_Shot_-_Tossing_Veggies.png

Back